PCOS/Insulin Resistance Support Support for us with any of the following: Insulin Resistance, Syndrome X, Polycystic Ovarian Syndrome, or other endocrine disorders.

Old 04-01-2013, 12:28 PM   #1  

Height: 5'3

Default PCOS and Laser hair removal

Ok so for those women that suffer from PCOS (polycystic ovarian syndrome) some of you suffer from what I call a lady beard which I unfortunately was kindly blessed with. So I’ve been seeing a lot of groupon deals for laser hair removal and wanted to know if it actually works. I’m not taking birth control yet seeing that I really don’t think I could get prego but I was reading it helps with this chubaka syndrome situation. Apparently it helps lower the man in me and brings out more of my ladyness (I know that’s not a real word). Soooo for those that have actually have gone and done this procedure with this unfortunate syndrome does it actually work? I would hate to spend all that money and continue to see my “Jose” popping out of my chin
jackieo1002 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2013, 12:58 PM   #2  
Just Me

S/C/G: 364/--/182

Height: 5'6"

I wrote about my experience in a different thread but yes it worked, it took me double the treatments (6 are recommended, I needed 12), then hair started slowly coming back around year 5 but even what has come back (8 years later) is 100 times better than it was going in.

And you might want to shop around, the groupons usually cover 3 treatments but you'll want 6 at a minimum so it might cost you more to go with a groupon, depending on how much the additional treatments will cost.
nelie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2013, 01:06 PM   #3  
Starting over

S/C/G: 195/185/140

Height: 5'3"

nelie, how often did you get the laser treatment? Monthly, weekly?
veggiedawg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2013, 01:14 PM   #4  
Just Me

S/C/G: 364/--/182

Height: 5'6"

Monthly to coincide with the normal hair growth cycle. So basically a year. Certain areas for me needed less time such as eyebrows but eyebrows aren't hormonal
nelie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2013, 01:29 PM   #5  
Starting over

S/C/G: 195/185/140

Height: 5'3"

Quote:
Originally Posted by nelie View Post
Monthly to coincide with the normal hair growth cycle. So basically a year. Certain areas for me needed less time such as eyebrows but eyebrows aren't hormonal
Oh my! Could you imagine if they were???? LOL
veggiedawg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2013, 12:48 AM   #6  
chubby punk

S/C/G: tick..tick...boom

Height: 5'5"

I started IPL laser hair removal on my ladybeard and moustache about 2 years ago, every six weeks. It didn't completely get rid of everything but it definitely reduced the amount of hair, especially on my upper lip. I took 6 months off to travel and be broke and my chin hair started to come back so I've just had another two rounds of IPL in the past couple of months. I got a Groupon deal and had my bikini line and snail trail done as well.
The Groupon deal was really cheap but I'm thinking it may have been cheap for a reason - the salon is not very thorough and they seem to rush everyone through in five minute sessions - they didn't even bother to wipe the gel off my bikini line. Also I haven't had a great result this time around.

I think there are different grades of laser hair removal and some are more effective than others.
LaurenBelle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2013, 01:10 AM   #7  

S/C/G: size 20/14/10

Height: 5' 7"

I have not had any done...but I have heard around PCOS message boards that it has to be done longer and that for many it comes back. From what I've heard, it seems to work better if you get your weight, insulin, PCOS issues etc under control first and then get it done. Otherwise, you end up paying more, needing more sessions and having to go again every couple of years.
mariposssa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2013, 02:59 AM   #8  

S/C/G: 180/177/125

Height: 5"5

I had a few treatments done when I was in my teens. It was going to take about 8-10 total trips for my upper lip hair to completely go away I think. Each one was over $100, so I had to stop going. I think it does depend on how thick the hair is. I can say that it did make the hair thinner for me. I know that waxing can do that too, but a permanent solution is pretty exciting.

In the future I will probably go again, because I do think it is worth it and will save a lifetime of waxes in the long run most likely.
Alicia546 is offline   Reply With Quote