Dieting with Obstacles Those with special health concerns such as diabetes, fibromyalgia, pregnancy, etc can post here for extra support and help.

Old 03-28-2013, 09:02 PM   #1  

Default Anterior Pelvic Tilt/Lumbar Lordosis

I wasn't sure where this went, under here, or exercise.

For the longest time I thought my stomach protruding and my back arching was completely normal, and because of my weight. And it probably is. Actually, I'm sure it is. But I've also started to think that maybe all the back pain I have is something I can work on WHILE I lose weight. The way it was explained to me is that, as bad as it sounds about myself, all the sitting I've done over the years has caused it. I even did the wall test, and sure enough, there's a significant gap there. And at my last job, I had horrible horrible pain, but I read about tilting my pelvis IN to lessen it--it did help with the pain, but it was hard to hold because I wasn't USED to having good pelvic...posture? I guess?

"Lower cross syndrome is a posture issue generally caused by sitting all the time. The erector spinae (lower back spinal muscles) and hip flexors tend to be tight, and the glutes and abdominals tend to be weak. This typically results in an anterior pelvic tilt - causing one's butt and gut to stick out."

I'm just wondering if anyone here has had this issue? Did it get better as you lost weight? Did the stretches really help? Does this potentially mean that I can work on my core, and that my behind might possibly get a little smaller someday and my stomach could kind of..."come up" if I actually get some core strength?

Last edited by mymagicnumber; 03-28-2013 at 09:04 PM.
mymagicnumber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2013, 09:15 AM   #2  
High Fat/Low Carb=Happy!

Height: 5'9" Age: 50

Ahhh, do you want the good news or the bad news first?

Good news: Weight loss will help pain in the lower back, there are also several other things you can do and lifestyle changes you can make that will help alleviate or completely eliminate the problem.

Bad News: Odds are, it's how your spine is shaped and it's never going to go away and don't be surprised if you start having neck/shoulder pain someday, as well. You're also in good company.

The best things you can do to help yourself:
1. Core strengthening exercises, ESPECIALLY pilates and/or serious weight training -- for life.
2. Invest in a top of the line mattress, even if you have to go into debt - Tempurpedics are good for lumbar problems (I have severe lumbar lordosis) avoid waterbeds like the plague.
3. Find the most comfortable chair you can if you have to sit for extended periods of time, even if that means you have to buy your own chair at work. Don't be surprised if chairs that are listed as being "ergonomic" cause you pain. Sometimes the best thing for people like us to sit on is a simple, hard, flat back chair. Lumbar support only exacerbates our problem.

Core strengthening exercises will help dramatically with pain but only somewhat in terms of aesthetics. Lumbar lordosis of the degree you're describing is structural and will never go away entirely. You need to strengthen the supporting structures around your spine. If you do that diligently you can live virtually pain free.

One final caution. Do not go to a doctor for this (other than a chiropractor or PT) and never, never, never let anyone touch you surgically for it, ever.
ReNew Me is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2013, 05:07 PM   #3  

Oh, great...that's exactly what I want to hear LOL. I definitely need a good mattress, and to train myself to sleep on my back. Side and stomach sleeping are ruining me. My upper AND lower back hurt all day every day, to the point where I'm almost in tears all day. Looks like I'll have to start doing more core strengthening...
mymagicnumber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2013, 06:32 PM   #4  
High Fat/Low Carb=Happy!

Height: 5'9" Age: 50

Quote:
Originally Posted by mymagicnumber View Post
Oh, great...that's exactly what I want to hear LOL. I definitely need a good mattress, and to train myself to sleep on my back. Side and stomach sleeping are ruining me. My upper AND lower back hurt all day every day, to the point where I'm almost in tears all day. Looks like I'll have to start doing more core strengthening...
Mattress makes a HUGE difference. My back felt 1000% better when I got the Tempurpedic. Totally worth the money.

Until you can get a new mattress, if your current mattress is old and squishy try either putting the mattress on the floor or sliding a piece of plywood between the mattress and box spring.

As for side sleeping, look into getting yourself a body pillow that you support the "upper" leg on. In the interim you can pile some regular pillows up next to you. Also make sure you don't have your head too high. When you sleep on your side you basically want your neck to make a straight line from your skull to your shoulders.
ReNew Me is offline   Reply With Quote