Old 09-14-2012, 07:08 PM   #1  

Height: magmeepEVE

Default Net Carbs vs. Total Carbs

Hey Everyone,

I've researched this site and I've seen both views about net carbs (where you take total carbs and then subtract fiber and sugar alcohols). Some people say that they don't count, others say they do. I'd like to see if there is some type of consensus on this. I know that in the links to the coaching videos, those guys say to count net carbs.

And I know we should just follow the sheet, and I'm doing that. It's just that as a Vegetarian, our protein sources (excepting eggs) have a goodly amount of carbs in them (and fiber). So if I can subtract out the fiber, it makes it easier. If not, I'm still okay, but if I could count net carbs, then I could use different vegetables, instead of the lowest carb ones.

Thanks for all the invaluable support on this forum!
Starshine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2012, 07:22 PM   #2  
Diane on track July 2014

S/C/G: 230/221/180

Height: 5'6"

I like the Net Carb thing as it is easier for me to justify and lets me eat more. However, when I "justify" a few more carbs, I'm slower but steady. I still lose. Just not as much. That's just me. But sadly, I confess, those restricted bars give me joy and sometimes, instead of one, I have 2 because some bars, like the "simply bars" are not restricted but so close they should be. The "net carbs" put them "under" the restricted category, but I'd be better off having a pudding or shake (or just more veggies!) If you have Vegetarian restrictions, I think you need to make adjustments you know work for you. If you look at "alternate" plans, like those for diabetics, they have some different things in there and the diet still works, even though they have varied some of what they are having. Just my opinion tho-- I'm no expert.
IP43 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2012, 10:20 PM   #3  

Quote:
Originally Posted by IP43 View Post
I like the Net Carb thing as it is easier for me to justify and lets me eat more. However, when I "justify" a few more carbs, I'm slower but steady. I still lose. Just not as much. That's just me. But sadly, I confess, those restricted bars give me joy and sometimes, instead of one, I have 2 because some bars, like the "simply bars" are not restricted but so close they should be. The "net carbs" put them "under" the restricted category, but I'd be better off having a pudding or shake (or just more veggies!) If you have Vegetarian restrictions, I think you need to make adjustments you know work for you. If you look at "alternate" plans, like those for diabetics, they have some different things in there and the diet still works, even though they have varied some of what they are having. Just my opinion tho-- I'm no expert.
Thanks for the response, IP43. For me personally, I'm not trying to justify eating more. I don't eat restricteds, I'd just like to be able to have the higher carb veggies at times. Just because the variety, but also so that I can get used to the different tastes, etc. This would help to set me up for success in maintenance I think.

As to alternative plans. I have seen something about a "vegetarian protocol," but those posts were few and far between and older. I like this diet in the regular plan a lot, as I get to eat 4 cups of veggies and then as much lettuce as I like. Most of these diets didn't allow me that, and that was the deciding factor for me choosing IP. And I'm really happy I did.

Thanks again for your response.
Old 09-14-2012, 11:11 PM   #4  
IP Round #3: 11/14/2023

S/C/G: 210/184/145

Height: 5'5"/49yo

Personally, it makes sense to me to look at Net Carbs, but I wouldn't necessarily count all sugar alcohols out of the equation, but I think insoluble fiber can be subtracted out of the total, since it doesnt get digested.

I believe a rule of thumb is to subtract all fiber and half of the sugar alcohols from the total to result in your Net. Not all sugar alcys are created equal and some folks do have a higher sensitivity. Sewmam had a good post where she listed out the glycemic index of many sugar alcohols and some were close to being on par with table sugar.

I know you are trying to be on the conservative side, which is why I mention the sugar alcohol fudge factor.
LizRR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2012, 11:27 PM   #5  

S/C/G: restart 9/2/14

For me personally I've always just counted net carbs subtracting fiber and all sugar alcohols. I did Atkins off and on for years, and that's the way they always did it.
DanafromAustin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2012, 11:05 AM   #6  

Thanks, Liz and Dana for your responses.

I'm not subtracting sugar alcohols, just the fiber in my veggie proteins, so that would be great. I can have different ones now that you two say I can. Thank you so much!

And this will allow me to do some of your veggie purees too, Liz. I'm going to have zucchini noodles with your roasted red pepper puree. Can't wait.

Thanks again, Dana and Liz!
Old 09-15-2012, 11:15 AM   #7  
Started IP 3/26/12

Height: 5'5"

I definitely count net carbs, and have felt 100% comfortable doing this since seeing the Dr. on www.idealcoaching.tv refer to subtracting fiber from the daily carb count. He didn't mention anything (at least in any video that I've had access to) about sugar alcohols, but I did see in reviewing some IP literature that it's recommended to subtract 1/2 of them from your carb count.
I also just thought I'd mention that I have a post on my blog about sugar alcohols, including a chart which shows where each falls on the glycemic index scale, which is quite informative I think. You may find it interesting and helpful. Here's the link:
http://diettalktoday.com/what-the-he...hols/#comments
evepet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2012, 12:46 PM   #8  

Quote:
Originally Posted by evepet View Post
I He didn't mention anything (at least in any video that I've had access to) about sugar alcohols, but I did see in reviewing some IP literature that it's recommended to subtract 1/2 of them from your carb count.
I also just thought I'd mention that I have a post on my blog about sugar alcohols, including a chart which shows where each falls on the glycemic index scale, which is quite informative I think. You may find it interesting and helpful. Here's the link:
Thanks so much, Evepet. I really don't know anything about sugar alcohols, so I really appreciate that link. I think it's time I start educating myself on those. Thanks again.
Old 03-29-2013, 12:44 PM   #9  
Started IP 3/8/2013

S/C/G: 163/146/115

Height: 5'1"

Talking

Quote:
Originally Posted by evepet View Post
I definitely count net carbs, and have felt 100% comfortable doing this since seeing the Dr. on www.idealcoaching.tv refer to subtracting fiber from the daily carb count. He didn't mention anything (at least in any video that I've had access to) about sugar alcohols, but I did see in reviewing some IP literature that it's recommended to subtract 1/2 of them from your carb count.
I just visited you blog and you are amazing. Thank you for all of the wonderful suggestions on alternative products.
kellyrn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2013, 01:15 PM   #10  
Started IP 3/26/12

Height: 5'5"

Quote:
Originally Posted by kellyrn View Post
I just visited you blog and you are amazing. Thank you for all of the wonderful suggestions on alternative products.
Thank you! I'm glad you found it useful.
evepet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2013, 09:22 PM   #11  
IP- a journey; not a race

S/C/G: 245/188/168

Height: 5'4" 41yo

Quote:
Originally Posted by DanafromAustin View Post
For me personally I've always just counted net carbs subtracting fiber and all sugar alcohols. I did Atkins off and on for years, and that's the way they always did it.
DanafromAustin - I haven't seen any of your posts for awhile.
Hope things have been going well for you!
How have you been? You've been missed Jen
JenRem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2013, 12:54 AM   #12  

S/C/G: 204/143/135

Height: 5' 1"

Quote:
Originally Posted by JenRem View Post
DanafromAustin - I haven't seen any of your posts for awhile.
Hope things have been going well for you!
How have you been? You've been missed Jen
Dana posted not too long ago. She is doing well but had been doing IP for a long time. She has mixed things up by trying something else for a bit so doesn't post here much anymore.

Pat
patns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2013, 10:43 AM   #13  

That post from Dana was from Sept. I agree, she is missed.
lisa32989 is offline   Reply With Quote