Food Talk And Fabulous Finds Recipes, Healthy Cooking, and General Food Topics

Closed Thread

Old 10-12-2003, 11:32 AM   #1  
~ Berry Happy ~

Default Canned Tuna Fish

I find that I am eating A LOT of canned Tuna Fish lately. Maybe I need the protein...I'm not sure...but I know I really like it. My thing is, I want to start cutting down on my carb intake, and when I eat tuna, it's usually on bread, or has some type of bread or carbs in it.

Does anyone have a different way of eating canned Tuna Fish that is lower in carbs?
Old 10-12-2003, 01:35 PM   #2  
just call me skinny

my DH eats it with onoins, green peppers, light mao, a smidge of mustard, garlic and no bread just by itself like that and its actually really good. (you can add other seasonings of course, I add tomatoe)
he's also very spoiled and really like it with albacore
Old 10-12-2003, 01:56 PM   #3  
if only she'd lose weight

S/C/G: 360/see ticker/180

Height: 5'7

If you want to try eating it w/o mayo or carbs, buy the albacore. It's flavor is milder, so you don't really need any dressing. I like to open a can & put it on top of a green salad. Yummm.
Old 10-14-2003, 06:47 AM   #4  
Om shanti

I never put tuna on bread. I always sprinkle it into a large salad. For variety, I've now started switching off between tuna and pink salmon which they're selling now.
Old 10-14-2003, 10:54 AM   #5  
~ Berry Happy ~

Thanks for the replies I am definatly going to try the Tuna in the salad. Sounds Yum...never thought about that before.

The last few days, I have been making tuna patties.

I use one can of Tuna, drained. About 1/4 cup (or less) or egg beaters, and about 1 - 2 tablespoon of bread crumbs. Plus a little bit of garlic powder because it seems to take away alot of that fishy smell.

Then I make one large patty, and fry it in a pan. (Not with oil or butter, but with PAM Cooking spray). And because Tuna has so much protein, I can usually just eat that, and it fills me right up.

Thanks again for the replies, they are very much appreciated.

~ Kari ~
Old 10-26-2003, 03:26 PM   #6  
Walkn my way to thinville

Hi Kari,

I also eat alot of tuna. I usually take large lettuce leaves or cucumber strips and roll the tuna in it......something about the tuna and the lettuce or cucumbers together tastes awesome.....I do use a tablespoon of lowfat mayo also.

I also love it plain with just some cut up lettuce. If you ever eat at Subway they have the best Tuna salad.....there lettuce is yummy and usually the salad is big enough to eat for two meals.

Take care!!!
Old 10-28-2003, 07:38 PM   #7  

hi ladies

the tuna patty sounds good.
when u cook the tuna, is there an odor? i live in a small place and i stopped eating salmon because of the lingering odor when i cooked
Old 10-28-2003, 10:47 PM   #8  
if only she'd lose weight

S/C/G: 360/see ticker/180

Height: 5'7

Put a little lemon juice in the pan, about 2 tablespoons to cut fish odor.
Old 10-30-2003, 11:03 AM   #9  

The tuna patty sounds good. You said you were cutting the bread so I presume you know 3 tablespoons of bread crums is equal to a slice of bread.
Old 01-07-2005, 03:02 PM   #10  

Default Another idea

Hi Kari:
I absolutely love tuna. When I was younger, I worked at a restaurant where they made the best tuna salad, I was determined to find out the secret. What they did was drain the tuna into a strainer and then when you are ready to mix it back in, take handfuls at a time and squeeze as hard as you can to take out all the extra juice. When I make mine I cut up green pepper, celery and radishes. I make 3 cans at a time so it lasts for a few days. Then I take about 1/2 c mayo and 1/2 c Miracle Whip and mix it all together.

I love to have it for breakfast on some whole wheat bread toasted.
Here is the info:

Tuna 1 cup sara lee wheat bread w/honey
100 calories 2 slices (made w/ whole wheat)
5 fat 90 cal
1 carb 1 fat
13 protein 18 carb and 6 protein....

Kerri
Old 01-08-2005, 12:10 PM   #11  

Hi Everyone,

I also love tuna and especially the albacore one in the packages. I always make a nice big salad with lettuce and my favorite veggies and than top it off with the tuna. I used lite dressing and love every bite of it.
Old 01-09-2005, 05:47 AM   #12  
Moderator & Happy Chick

Height: 5' 10"

Be careful when you get tuna salad out at a deli or places like that, #1 the mayo they put in is way to much for any plan and two, I used to work for a deli, in order to make tuna stretch alot of times places will add bread crumbs, kinda like a filler.

Here's a great tuna recipe.

Make your tuna the way you like it. I usually put mayo, onions, celery and carrots in mine.

Take a tomato and slice it up thick.

Lay the tomato slices on a greased (spray w/pam) cookie sheet, add a scoop of tuna on top and then some of your favorite cheese, just a touch. Put it under the broiler until the cheese melts and viola !!! tuna melt w/out the bread.

To keep your carbs low, use low carb or ww tortilla's and make a wrap.
Old 01-09-2005, 10:15 AM   #13  
singletrack chick

great ideas for tuna everyone. i make mine with deli mustard and a touch of splnda instead of using mayo or relish to make it sweet. i like to chop up hot peppers and onions to go in mine. i can't wait to try my hand at some kind of tuna patty. might have that for lunch.
Old 01-09-2005, 11:30 AM   #14  
Uber-Moderator!!

I actually haven't had tunafish in a long time - but I keep it around the house - not in cans though - I buy the POUCHES. Trust me - the pouch is VASTLY superior to the cans! No draining and I like the texture of the tuna better. Another bonus is that when I open a pouch, the cats don't get all excited and meow like they're getting dinner. That's what happens if I open a can - I think the tuna smells STRONGER from the can than it does from the pouch - probably because of the liquid.

Dang...now I miss my Mom's TF sandwiches. With diced sweet pickles and mayo on white bread...this was back when I was a kid of course.
Old 01-09-2005, 11:40 AM   #15  
~ Berry Happy ~

Wow! I love the idea with the tomatoe, tuna & cheese! That sounds right up my alley! I will definatly have to try this!!!
Closed Thread