Weight and Resistance Training Boost weight loss, and look great!

Old 09-07-2012, 03:35 PM   #1  

Default 1200 Calorie with weight training?

Hello,
My counter suggested me 1200 calorie everyday but i am only taking 1000 per day and doing 1 hour walk and 30 mint weight training is it safe? or should i need to eat more calories? I feel very low after weight training but love walking just wanted to ask is it ok if i walk everyday for an hour and do light cardio for 30 mints will i still lose weight? because i personally do not like lifting it make me more hungry and i feel anxious
Shireen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2012, 04:42 PM   #2  
Katrina

S/C/G: 162/see ticker/130

Height: 5'6

No it is not safe and yes you need to eat more. 1200 calories is usually only good for someone really small who is not active. If you are active, you need to eat more! When you don't eat enough, not only does in effect weight loss (ie, there is a good chance you will lose at first but then stop losing) but your brain and body NEED those calories to function properly.
Candeka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2012, 05:27 PM   #3  
cb1

S/C/G: 220/220/120

Height: 5'6

I would eat more.... 1000 calories is pretty low even with no exercise, unless you are a very short, small person... ? Maybe a protein shake after your workout would be a good option?

Weight lifting makes you strong and toned. Yes it can make you hungry but if you are only eating 1000 calories a day, I am guessing you would probably be hungry anyway...? I always have a protein shake after lifting.
cb1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2012, 05:35 AM   #4  

no i am not petite i am 5,4 i eat chicken alot so i don't think i need protein shake for more protein i am thinking about to take more calories
Old 09-08-2012, 10:54 AM   #5  
On the slow track.

S/C/G: 210/ticker/160

Height: 5'9

What is your weight?

But yes, you should be eating more calories, ESPECIALLY if you're weight training.
DietVet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2012, 11:55 AM   #6  

Quote:
Originally Posted by DietVet View Post
What is your weight?

But yes, you should be eating more calories, ESPECIALLY if you're weight training.

180lbs
Old 10-01-2012, 01:46 AM   #7  
Renaissance Woman

S/C/G: 363/306/185

Height: 5'10.5"

There is a lot of information on the Internet about how to eat while weight training. You have mentioned how tall you are and how much you weigh and that calories calculated came to 1200, which I assume is for about a 2 lbs/week weight loss. That sounds right, even if you're weight training. Exercise doesn't really burn that many more calories per day, maybe 200 more if you exercise vigorously for an hour a day.

I'm not going to suggest that you increase your calories by 200 calories per day when you exercise. But I will suggest that you keep a careful eye on getting the right sort of nutrition. Don't fill up on low-fat, sugar-free, processed foods. To build muscle and good health, choose several healthy vegetables, a piece fruit if you like, eggs and fresh meats, healthy fats. Make sure you eat a balanced meal about two hours before you workout and a balanced snack afterward, plus plenty of water. Your muscles need water as well as nutrition in order to heal. And get plenty of sleep.

If you find that your appetite really increases a lot with the addition of rigorous exercise, then go ahead and increase by 200 calories on the days when you train. You might want to take those calories from protein and fat sources to help you with your hunger.

Good luck!
geoblewis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2012, 06:20 AM   #8  

Height: 5'8.5"

I agree you are not eating enough. My doctor advised me to never go below 1300 absolute minimum. She also advised I would lose just as much weight that way as with less because my body would stop functioning properly.

Last edited by Misti in Seattle; 10-01-2012 at 06:26 AM.
Misti in Seattle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2012, 07:43 PM   #9  
Back to being healthy

S/C/G: 245/see ticker/175

Height: 5'8'

I found that I am loosing more after a plateau with eating more. I was eating 1200 then 1500 now 1800-2000 depending on the day. I am still loosing and much happier. I have more energy. I lift 3x a week with 30min cardio walk 1.6miles) and 60min cardio (walk 3.2miles) 3x a week.

When you eat too little your body breaks down muscle for energy along with the fat. So you are lifting to try and build muscle then eating too little and breaking muscle down for energy.

Have you read New rules for lifting? I am on my fitness pal and there is a good group that explains why you need to eat more and how to figure out how much you should eat to reach your goal. http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/s...revised-7-2-12

There is also a group called eating more to weigh less. Lots of good info there too. http://www.myfitnesspal.com/forums/s...-to-weigh-less
Lishar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2012, 04:02 PM   #10  
Angela

S/C/G: 155/138/126

Height: 5'6"

OMG Shireen,
that looks dangerous... for any length of time.
to prevent yoyo and binges.. eat a little more
try at least 1500 with exercise for a while until you get down to below 150
masterptr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2013, 09:20 AM   #11  

S/C/G: 190.8/see sig/<165

Height: 5 ft 11

I know this thread has become pretty inactive. But since my question is so similar I thought I'd try to revive it a little. For the past week I've counted calories and been lifting weights and working out. It's early so I've seen some big weightloss (which I expect to slow down a but soon). I am down more than 7 lbs. I've been eating net below 1600 calories. Some days my total calories were only 1200-1300 and a few days I ate as high as 1800, with having run or hiked to wear I burned more than the 200 extra I are that day.

So there's the background, and here's my question. I have been feeling pretty weak. When running yesterday my heart felt like it was beating harder than I'm used to feeling. I slowed down to where I felt more normal Andy pace was slower than I usually run. Also when lifting weights I felt and my body was kinda "tingly". I'm not new too working out. I've been running and lifting weights for years (I just wasn't eating well or working out consistently enough lately so I was at an all time high weight). And while I have had Days I've felt the kind of fatigue I felt yesterday, I've never felt it day after day like now.

Should I stick with what I'm doing another week or two? See if my body is just adjusting? Or should I up my calories on lifting days and keep lower on rest days? Not saying I haven't love seen the dramatic drop on the scale, but I don't think that losing 7 lbs in a week is healthy for me to keep up. (I doubt this would happen anyways).

I'd love any input. I don't want to be switching things up too soon, but I'm also not enjoying the feeling of being so spent when I'm trying to workout and exercise. Thanks all!
wannaBfitnessbuff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2013, 11:11 AM   #12  

S/C/G: 186/155/maintaining

Height: 5'4"

How much have you been working out? Some of your symptoms can be consistent with overtraining, but that's usually only an issue if you're working out pretty hard for hours a day. How's your protein intake? Are you working out on an empty stomach? Are you paying attention to your post-workout nutrition? I would try adding a high protein snack after your workouts if you aren't already doing so, and if that doesn't fix it, take a day or so off (assuming you are working out every day now).

If you have only been working out/dieting for one week total, I'd say it's probably just your body adjusting to a lot of weight loss all at once.
stella1609 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2013, 12:46 PM   #13  

S/C/G: 190.8/see sig/<165

Height: 5 ft 11

stella- Thanks for answering. To get to your questions I have been working out off and on lifting weights and running (I do at least one half marathon a year and some years more than that) for a long time. Ihave been doing so for years. But most recently(before last week) I had started to slack alot and gained about 15 lbs between october and the beginning of March. I Probably only made it to the gym average 5 times a months for the last 4 months. THat includes weeks I'd go twice or three times and weeks I wouldn;t go at all. So almost like not working out at all. This last week I went 6 out of the last seven days. Most days my workouts arent too hard. I lift 4-6 different lifts for three sets of 8-12 reps and make sure I lift heavy enough that it is difficult to finish the last reps of the last set. I had one really tough cardio day where I did 11 miles of hiking/jogging on the course for a half marathon I am doing next in about a month. That was mondays workout and it was extremely tough for me to do at the time. Yesterday I did 2 miles running my dog. Then later that day lifted three chest and three tricep exercises and did 15 mins on the elliptical. So definately nothing crazy. The day before I did 20 mins elliptical and lifted back and bicep.

These workouts are not tougher than I was doing 5 or 6 months ago. But probably tougher than I have done since I started with this most recent weight gain.

Thanks for the input. I do agree that maybe its about eating better and my body not getting the eay carbs its used too rather than the calories. But I supposed in a couple weeks if my energy levels dont return maybe not have the 1200-1300 calorie days and try to eat to 1500? The low days resulted because of being busy on the nights I work using work hours as an IF time. Somethines its tough to get enough calories in before I have to be at work those days.
wannaBfitnessbuff is offline   Reply With Quote