Old 03-27-2013, 10:00 PM   #1  
Started IP 01/31/13

S/C/G: 298/see ticker/150

Height: 5'4"

Default Taking better care of ourselves

I just got my teeth cleaned this afternoon. It reminded that in many ways, not just dieting, I am taking better care of myself. For a while, not only did my weight run away - but I didn't go to the dentist regularly, I didn't get regular checkups, missed the annual pap/mammograms some years, worked too many hours, didn't exercise, didn't keep a decent hair style. Get the picture?

In 2011, I joined a year long program at work and lost 60 pounds. I went to a dentist, an eye doctor and my family doctor and started keeping up with regular health maintenance. In 2012, I held the weight loss until the fall when I blew out my knee. Gained almost 30 back. Very distressed in January, I went to my doctor to discuss lap band surgery - I was desperate. She recommended I try Ideal Protein. While gaining some of the weight back still makes me mad at myself, the fact that I turned it back around within a few months is kind of a record for me.

I am keeping regular medical appointments, and am up to date on my pap, mammogram, and blood work. I get my hair shaped up regularly. I get pedicures once a month (such a luxury *sigh*) and started keeping my nails in better shape. I am trying to slow down, not work so many hours, and I've started spending more time sewing/quilting - something that is relaxing and stress-relieving for me. When I get that "I don't know what to do with myself so I must be hungry searching for food" feeling, I am trying to remember to turn some music on -it's distracting and always lifts my mood. I am working hard to forgive myself about what I didn't do right in the past or about how I got to where I am. I am trying to find some balance and peace within myself.

So...what are you doing to take better care of yourself? What else has changed or needs to be changed? What things are signs that we are learning to take better care of ourselves? What is working for you?
Msbehaving is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2013, 10:12 PM   #2  
Trying to be in the 160s

S/C/G: See my siggy ;)

Height: 5'8"

Quote:
I just got my teeth cleaned this afternoon. It reminded that in many ways, not just dieting, I am taking better care of myself. For a while, not only did my weight run away - but I didn't go to the dentist regularly, I didn't get regular checkups,
You rock.

I can single handedly guarantee that I have the worst teeth on this forum. I blow my $3500 dental insurance maximum every year. I've got crowns, bridges and I am now moving on to implants! Bring it on.

But it's worth it and you are worth it.

Last edited by IanG; 03-27-2013 at 10:14 PM.
IanG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2013, 10:23 PM   #3  
Started IP 01/31/13

S/C/G: 298/see ticker/150

Height: 5'4"

Implants are on my list...will discuss with the dentist when I go back in 4 months. Not covered by my dental insurance.
Msbehaving is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2013, 10:28 PM   #4  
Trying to be in the 160s

S/C/G: See my siggy ;)

Height: 5'8"

Ooooooooooooh expensive. But they are cool.

It all depends on the amount of bone you have left. If like me you don't have much then there is an added complication. But if your gums are healthy, they're good to go.
IanG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2013, 12:17 AM   #5  

S/C/G: H253/219/177.4/150

Height: 5'4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Msbehaving View Post
I just got my teeth cleaned this afternoon. It reminded that in many ways, not just dieting, I am taking better care of myself. For a while, not only did my weight run away - but I didn't go to the dentist regularly, I didn't get regular checkups, missed the annual pap/mammograms some years, worked too many hours, didn't exercise, didn't keep a decent hair style. Get the picture?

In 2011, I joined a year long program at work and lost 60 pounds. I went to a dentist, an eye doctor and my family doctor and started keeping up with regular health maintenance. In 2012, I held the weight loss until the fall when I blew out my knee. Gained almost 30 back. Very distressed in January, I went to my doctor to discuss lap band surgery - I was desperate. She recommended I try Ideal Protein. While gaining some of the weight back still makes me mad at myself, the fact that I turned it back around within a few months is kind of a record for me.

I am keeping regular medical appointments, and am up to date on my pap, mammogram, and blood work. I get my hair shaped up regularly. I get pedicures once a month (such a luxury *sigh*) and started keeping my nails in better shape. I am trying to slow down, not work so many hours, and I've started spending more time sewing/quilting - something that is relaxing and stress-relieving for me. When I get that "I don't know what to do with myself so I must be hungry searching for food" feeling, I am trying to remember to turn some music on -it's distracting and always lifts my mood. I am working hard to forgive myself about what I didn't do right in the past or about how I got to where I am. I am trying to find some balance and peace within myself.

So...what are you doing to take better care of yourself? What else has changed or needs to be changed? What things are signs that we are learning to take better care of ourselves? What is working for you?

Amen!!!

I have had to learn to stop and take care of myself!! I think it is important for my Daughters to see me taking care of myself so they will grow up and have better self esteem then I did.
bellasamimom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2013, 09:36 AM   #6  
Ready to fly!

S/C/G: 266/259/160

Height: 5'6

Good for you!!
butterflywings77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2013, 10:51 AM   #7  
Started IP 1/10/13

S/C/G: 225/175.5(home) 176.2(IP)/120

Height: 5'0"

Huh. Other than eating better quality food on this diet, there isn't anything. Even as I was fat, I've always been vain so my hair and nails were done on the regular -- until I cut my hair and went natural last year, I went to the salon every Saturday. I go to the med spa for my face every month and have done since long before I started this diet. And I go to the dentist twice a year and periodontist twice a year for cleanings as my smile is part of my face and, again, I'm vain.

I spent the last five years doing infertility treatments and not getting pregnant or getting pregnant and miscarrying so I couldn't avoid doctors. I have a maintenance med (not related to fat/obesity) and to get refills of my prescription, my primary care doc makes me come in every three months.

I have to assume I am fat and vain because my mama was fat and vain (she's still alive, but no longer fat). So, yes, your children do model your behavior.
Desafinado is offline   Reply With Quote