Exercise! Love it or hate it, let's motivate each other to just DO IT!

Old 03-24-2013, 07:16 PM   #1  
Struggling Cyster

S/C/G: 293/293/180

Height: 5'5"

Default Working mom with a toddler and no sitter

I work 50+ hours a week. 24 of those hours are at the office and the rest are at home. I have a nearly-two year old toddler, and my husband is on the road from Sunday afternoon until Friday night, so he is not around to take care of our son through the week. I just don't know how to fit regimented exercise in.

We go to the park, we walk, we run around the mall, we hike, etc, but I just can't figure out how to make it all work.

I am thinking about getting a treadmill desk so that I can work from home and walk, but I don't know.

Those of you who are in a similar situation, what have you done that works?
Smurlene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2013, 07:54 PM   #2  

S/C/G: 196/ticker/140

Height: 5'2"

Walking is a wonderful workout. Get a jogging stroller and go for it.
TheWanderer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2013, 07:56 PM   #3  
Struggling Cyster

We walk a ton, but he won't ride in the stroller any longer, so we don't walk fast enough. LOL.
Old 03-24-2013, 08:15 PM   #4  
Trying to be in the 160s

S/C/G: See my siggy ;)

Height: 5'8"

It sounds like you are doing great exercise. I am a father of two twin boys aged two, so I know you are not sitting around!

The breakthrough for me was to stop focusing on whether I was getting enough exercise (which I was) and to start thinking about what I was eating. I was eating a lot of rubbish so no matter what exercise I did, the weight did not come off.

Now I am watching what goes in my mouth the weight is just dropping.

Last edited by IanG; 03-24-2013 at 08:17 PM.
IanG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2013, 08:18 PM   #5  
Heading Downtown...

S/C/G: 225/165/165

Height: 5'8"

I actually have a treadmill desk... And all I can say is that I love it... Now granted I don't use it to get a "workout" on... I just wanted it to avoid sitting so much while having to be on the computer while working... I easily just "walk" 2 to 3 miles a day without realizing it at all... and I've covered 5 miles without much added effort and have still been able to get quite a bit of work done... I really can't say enough good things about it...

The other thing I've been using is a Nike FuelBand to be more "active" even when I'm not actually "working out" and that is really making a difference as well... and I know their are a lot of people here who use the FitBit and swear by that to help them do the same thing... so that might be something to look into... Maybe with something like that you might find that it's possible to be a lot more "active" throughout the course of your day than you realize...
TripSwitch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2013, 09:06 PM   #6  

Height: 5'8.5"

It sounds like you are already doing great! I've never used a treadmill desk but if you think it would help, by all means, go for it!!
Misti in Seattle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2013, 09:21 PM   #7  

S/C/G: 360/270/175

Height: 5"6'

I joined a gym with a daycare inside. The baby loves going to the pool with me when I'm done on the cardio equipment. I pay a lot for membership and go out of my way (it's a 25 min drive) it's so worth it.
missunderstood28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2013, 10:55 PM   #8  
Struggling Cyster

Thank you all so very much! There isn't much sitting around at all with a little guy, that is for sure. Do you think that just choosing to be active over doing a regimented exercise program is a bad idea? Ideally, I would like to do some strength training, but realistically, I doubt that will happen again until my son goes to pre-school, which is a few years off.

We have no gyms nearby with daycares, or I would give that a shot. I take my son swimming about three times a week, but I don't know how much activity I am actually getting.

I am thinking about a FitBit! Maybe the Easter bunny will bring me one.

The laptop desk looks better and better all the time. I get so tired of just sitting at my desk at home when I could be walking. I have no choice but to sit her and work, though.

Thank you all so much! I don't feel like a total lazy bones now.
Old 03-25-2013, 03:29 PM   #9  

S/C/G: 310/*look*/140

Height: 5'9

I have a 2yo boy and a 3yo girl. In the past I was able to find a gym with an awesome childcare center, but then moved to an area without such resources. I bought a treadmill a while ago and I have to say I really love having it around! I am able to squeeze in short walks/jogs throughout the day. I am a full-time student, and I often read while walking on it. Never seen a treadmill desk, but that sounds amazing! To keep my two wild things occupied while I am walking/jogging I bought a small bounce house from amazon for about $180, that way they are being active too! Honestly, having two active toddlers, best purchase of my life. Haha.
Lecomtes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2013, 03:54 PM   #10  

S/C/G: 163/128/125

Height: 5'5

Have you thought of dance? My son is almost 3 and he loves to go along with me.
sacha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2013, 05:06 PM   #11  

S/C/G: 180/ticker/140

Height: 5'4

If your looking for regimented exercise have you considered working out at home after the little one goes to bed? I normally fit my workouts in during nap time or after the I put the baby to bed.

I can workout, then shower and go to bed. I know that doesn't work for everyone though. I know some people can't get to bed after a late workout and lol with a toddler we all know sleep is important!
SugarRox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2013, 10:21 PM   #12  
Struggling Cyster

Thank you!!! I so love this board because not a single one of you thought that I was just making excuses. I really feel like it is a serious dilemma, so I sincerely appreciate your advice.

I have considered dance, but we only have one place here that teaches dance, and it is just one class a week, so I am not sure if that would be helpful.

Working out after he goes to bed is impossible. I have to work every single night after he goes to bed. As it is I'm up until 2 am and have to be out the door by 8:30. Ugh! But there is a lot of appeal to doing it then. If I could get the treadmill desk thing worked out, I could workout and work at the same time after he goes to bed.

I think the first thing I will do is order a FitBit to see if that can give me an idea of what I am already doing.
Old 03-26-2013, 10:55 AM   #13  

S/C/G: 163/128/125

Height: 5'5

^There are so many DVDs/Youtube, you don't need to go to classes. I do this one on occasion, he loves it. I try to avoid things that take more time to dress them & transport them than to actually do the activity, LOL!!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OI55TKGinLQ

I understand not wanting to after he is in bed. Everytime I told myself I'd workout after the kids go to bed (I also have a 4 month old), I just rather snuggle on the couch with hubby. Too tired for that.

Last edited by sacha; 03-26-2013 at 10:56 AM.
sacha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2013, 12:50 PM   #14  
Dukanista

S/C/G: high263/current257/ticker/198

Height: 5'7"

Ditto on the idea of using workout videos at home, or you could also get a Wii and try Wii Fit and other workout routines. My son is 8 now and has always liked to watch me and exercise alongside with me. I've been doing Walk Away the Pounds and he walks right along with me. And when he was a toddler, he thought it was super funny to watch me working out.

But I would also emphasize that for weight loss, what you eat is much more important than worrying about a regimented activity program. It's great to exercise, and that's so important for health and fitness. But for weight loss, you can easily eat more in one meal than all the calories you burn off in an hour of activity. So figuring out the right eating plan and sticking to that is what will take off the weight.
April Snow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2013, 09:22 PM   #15  
Struggling Cyster

Thank you!! We have tried workout DVDs together, and it is not worth the stress of making sure he is out of the way. It honestly makes me feel worse. LOL

And we will not get the Wii Fit out any more because he became addicted, no lie, to it at nine months of age. Seriously. He STILL cries for it, even though we haven't had it out in more than a year!

All that said, I have narrowed it all down to a treadmill desk.

April...for women with PCOS it is not just about the calorie burn but about improving insulin uptake and mood imbalances. If I thought I could get away with just playing in the park everyday (we were out there for three hours solid today), I would not give it a second thought.