Old 03-23-2013, 05:47 PM   #1  

S/C/G: 157/136.5/140

Height: 5 ft 4 in

Default How do you keep cut veggies fresh

I'm in my 3rd week on IP and doing well. Today I decided to wash and cut my veggies to make it easier when it's time to pack a lunch or cook. I'm just wondering, how long will they keep and what storage method do you use.
ABue1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2013, 06:01 PM   #2  
PCOS. Started IP 3/8/13

S/C/G: 285/247.1/165

Height: 5'7"

After my 1st week of trying to cook veggies every night, I decided to switch to prep'ing and cooking all my food on the weekends.

I use a lot of cauliflower, green/red peppers, celery, broccoli, spinach, and mushrooms.

The spinach, I just leave in the bag/bin I purchased it in. I try to use that up in the first part of the week because it spoils the quickest.

I found that the other raw veggies sliced up and put into a ziplock bag seemed to last throughout the week (Sun - Fri) without too much issue. The peppers started to go soft towards the end, so this week I'll be cutting up enough to get me through 1/2 the week, and then will cut the rest later.

Cooked veggies, I just portion out into "tupperware" containers and they've stayed fine. I roast a lot of my veg so I don't have to worry about them potentially getting mushy from excessive moisture.

Last edited by rubygirl05; 03-23-2013 at 06:02 PM.
rubygirl05 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2013, 06:30 PM   #3  
Started Jan. 22. 2013

S/C/G: 373/359/273

Height: 5'7"

I too like Rubygirl05 use Ziploc bags however, I am currently using Ziploc bags but they have little holes in the bag..the box is green and the veggies last and they remain crunchy. Because I have 3 guys in the house and they are all big eaters...I find the Ziploc use less room than the plastic or glass containers.

Last edited by Rachel3; 03-23-2013 at 06:31 PM.
Rachel3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2013, 07:36 PM   #4  
Started IP 01/01/13

S/C/G: H-247/S-187.2/ C-137.2/G-125

Height: 5'2"

I have good luck lining a plastic snap lock shoe box with paper towels. My spinach is till good after 2 weeks (when it's lasted that long) as well as bell peppers (after they are cut) and mushrooms... don't wash mushrooms first, or they get waterlogged (I know you're not supposed to wash mushrooms anyway, just brush the dirt off, but yuk... I just can't do that)... and I separate different veggies into separate boxes. I've read here that someone pregrates cauliflower for cauliflower "rice" and freezes in 2 cup portions in ziploc bags... I'm going to be trying that tomorrow!
RareBird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2013, 10:31 PM   #5  
Started IP 1/25/13

S/C/G: started IP @210/194/150

Height: 5"1'

Quote:
Originally Posted by rubygirl05 View Post
The spinach, I just leave in the bag/bin I purchased it in. I try to use that up in the first part of the week because it spoils the quickest.
I buy my spinach in the tubs, then when I get it home I slip a paper towel or two into the tub and under all the leaves. If the paper towel looks super wet by mid week I switch it out for a dry one.
MntRose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2013, 10:40 PM   #6  

Quote:
Originally Posted by MntRose View Post
I buy my spinach in the tubs, then when I get it home I slip a paper towel or two into the tub and under all the leaves. If the paper towel looks super wet by mid week I switch it out for a dry one.
That works for me, too!
lisa32989 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2013, 07:07 AM   #7  

Height: 5'8.5"

I'm not on IP but saw this post and decided to share what a friend just taught me.

She puts her fresh fruit and veggies into a smaller zip loc bag and then puts a little bit of water into a larger zip loc bag... puts the smaller bag into the larger one and puts them into the crisper drawer of refrig. They stay amazingly fresh this way!
Misti in Seattle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2013, 04:24 PM   #8  

I use green bags, they work really well.
mightbe is offline   Reply With Quote