Old 03-23-2013, 03:07 AM   #1  

S/C/G: 345/255/175

Height: 5'10

Default Most embarrassing "big" moment

So I had to ride a long in the back of an ambulance the other night (I was not the patient) and I was too fat to buckle the seatbelt! I was mortified and joked about it, which I do a lot of in regards to weight issues. I have been doing well on IP 100%, and I know I need to continue at 100% so my weight is no longer a barrier!
Alaskagirl92128 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2013, 04:13 AM   #2  

S/C/G: 310/*look*/140

Height: 5'9

I have had more than a few such moments! Good for you maintaining a positive attitude and staying strong!
Lecomtes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2013, 06:09 AM   #3  

S/C/G: 160/153/140

Height: 5 feet 2 inches

Look at what you have already accomplished so far. You have found a program that works and have already began your journey. Your positive attitude will help lead you to success. I wish you success!!

This board and the people here are wonderful!
safetylady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2013, 07:53 AM   #4  

S/C/G: 395/241.5/250

Height: 6'4"

I've posted this before but what the heck I'll play along.

Oh so many embarrasing moments where to begin?

At a friend's extened family's home having a BBQ - the only seat is an old wood bench, I am always careful about where I sit and decline when it's offered. But the host insists - It holds me and my 3 kids is his assurance - I sit down and almost immediately the legs break on one side sending me rolling into the grass one way and my plate of food sailing through the air the other way.

Collapsing any folding chair that I happen to find myself seated in - always fun.

While I'm on the chair kick - nothing says fun like plopping yourself in a chair with arms - various parts of yourself spilling out/over the chair only to stand up and have the same chair stuck to your azz - awesome.

Numerous crotches torn out of pairs of pants - always at the most inopportune times.

On holiday and trying desparately to find some place that carries my clothing size to buy beach wear - sweat pants and a t-shirt is no fun in the sun and sand.

Huffing and puffing going up a flight of stairs and trying to have a conversation with your coworker. Who has a paniced look like she is searching for the nearest AED in case you are having the "big one".

Having to get out of or off an amusement ride because the lap belt won't go around you.

Speaking of lap belts - airline seats - a big mouth flight attendant announcing at full volume - "Sir you need to buckle your seatbelt" and when I say it doesn't fit around me she says even more loudly - "Then you need to be asking for an extension" with every eye in the plane now turned my way.

The moment of panic when you realize that you may have to take your shirt off for any reason.

I also have deep stretch marks on my torso - lucky me - years ago a big mouth college roommate asks me "what's with the racinig stripes on my upper body?" Then goes on to explain to all the others sitting at our table in the dining hall that I have stretch marks. -Got him back though - caught him mastuarbating in our room and made sure everyone in the dorm/university knew about it.

I've lost count of the number of times I've caught people watching what and how much I am eating while at restaurants. They seems to be wanting/expecting me to have a plate heaped beyond capacity and seem disappointed if it's only a regular size portion.

I've lost count of the number of times I've been subjected to both clumsy and brutally direct questions from people I don't know about how much I weigh.

Last year while visiting my parents we all went to their local town's restaurant for lunch. Sitting there is an elderly loud mouth former school teacher who takes one look at me and loudly announces in her crackly voice "Wow you sure have put on a lot of weight haven't you? With every head in the place now turned in my direction.

Went along clothes shopping with a thin friend and was told quite loudly by the peon staff working in the store that they don't carry my size. Yeah I figured that ding dong but why announce it to the world?

As I remember more I'll continue to add them.

I'm finally at a point in my life where remembering these things helps motivated me to stay on plan instead of medicating with food like I've done in the past.
Spiritman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2013, 09:10 AM   #5  
IP start March 8th 2013

S/C/G: 217/206/160

Was bound to happen...I teach little ones: in the past two years, I've gained about 20lbs. So guess what? Yep, a little sweetie asked me if I was going to have a baby, I said no, and she probed: then why is your belly so big? I had to answer right??? We do teach them to be critical thinkers...I swallowed my pride and simply said, well I guess I eat too much junk food and not enough healthy food. This story wouldn't be so poingnant without this: 2 kids asked me the same question that day. 2. Eye opener much!!! Out of the mouth of babes...
newday2013 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2013, 09:45 AM   #6  
Starting over: 7/29/2015

S/C/G: 257/251/150

Height: 5'3"

Newday: been there, done that! Years ago, when I worked with older kids (K-5), I had one fifth grader tactlessly suggest that maybe I would look pretty if I lost weight. Last school year, one of my preschoolers matter-of-factly said, "You have a big belly". I did pretty much the same thing you did, told him I eat too much bad food and it made my stomach too big.
tam67green is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2013, 09:50 AM   #7  
6/26/12 start 355

S/C/G: see tracker

Height: 5'9"

I totally hear you and understand. If I didn't joke/laugh I'd cry - sometimes I'd cry later. I was asked to go with the team from work to various events and car pool always brought fear into my veins. My car being two door I rarely was able to drive others, and I didn't fit into others cars or if I did the seat belts didn't fit (aka I didn't fit the seat belts). I would try and back out of the invitation or drive myself (find an excuse to have to drive myself) or if stuck with carpooling in someone else's car put on the belt and then just hold it across me in the back seat so nobody would notice I couldn't buckle it for a short ride. Our own cars it was more comfortable to buy a seat belt extender. I purchased my own seat belt extender for the airline, and made sure the plane type used the type of extender I had, etc. I fell out of my office chair reaching for something on the ground because I just couldn't bend, the team saw me do it. Going to a restaurant - hoping we didn't get a small booth where I couldn't fit, etc.

We are the same height, and I started out a bit heavier than you - take a look at the progress photos (click my name, view public profile) - that was in around 7 months. It seems so far away looking forward, but looking back it was in the blink of an eye. I need to update the photos again. I am in misses size 16 jeans now, from a womans size 30. I fit in the air plane seat with room to spare a few weeks ago, and the tray worked rather than resting on top of my stomach. I have had to move the car seat up to reach the wheel more comfortably now (less of a fat bottom girl, sits back further in the seat).

You are doing wonderful. Keep it up! The memories of the past will help us remember where we came from, and help us not go back there.
Halfagain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2013, 10:07 AM   #8  
Started IP 2/13/13

S/C/G: 248/123/123

Height: 5'2"

I've had a young niece ask me, right in front of the entire family one Christmas day, "Do you have a baby in there?" She was poking at my belly the entire time.

Worst one though was when I was one of the last getting on a Southwest flight. As far as the eye could see, nothing but middle seats were open. I kept walking, searching and hoping that there would be something in the back. I could see the eyes of people pretending to look down, but really watching to see that I didn't turn into their row. Finally, I got to the back row and had to squeeze between the two people on each end. They looked so disgusted. One sighed loudly with frustration. No one made any room. I had no arm rest. I sat with my arms folded across my chest, holding my elbows, for the entire flight. When I finally stood up, my chest was so cramped up, I thought I was having a heart attack. I didn't care. If I was having a heart attack, I wasn't going to admit it to anyone around me. I walked through the entire airport feeling like I couldn't breathe and all the way out to the car where I was finally able to sit and stretch out and relax while my chest uncramped. I can't say I ever laughed about it. In fact, I cried my eyes out and still don't really like to think about it in detail, but maybe it's time to unpack these things and put them away.

((hugs)) to all. How wonderful to have a place to share these things with people who understand.
SylviesGirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2013, 12:01 PM   #9  

S/C/G: 216/209.6/180

Ahh the pregnancy questions. Three times for me. I do have a beer/wine gut. Stomach is where it shows most on me. Once was asked by nephew who was 10. Okay can get over that. Just new into a job covering a girls maternity leave was introduced to a truck driver in front of about 8 twenty something mechanics (I am 35 so older than the crew anyway) and this 50ish truck driver asked me if I was also expecting. Nice! The other time I was already pregnant with last baby only about 4 months along and another mechanic, again a 50 + man who I worked with for over a year at this point asked if I was about 7 or 8 months along. Again in front of a lunch table full of younger mechanics. Pretty humiliating. What is with these older men? Don't they know better by now? A guy should never as a girl unless he KNOWS.
ladylunk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2013, 12:13 PM   #10  
Starting over: 7/29/2015

S/C/G: 257/251/150

Height: 5'3"

Quote:
Originally Posted by ladylunk View Post
Ahh the pregnancy questions. Three times for me. I do have a beer/wine gut. Stomach is where it shows most on me. Once was asked by nephew who was 10. Okay can get over that. Just new into a job covering a girls maternity leave was introduced to a truck driver in front of about 8 twenty something mechanics (I am 35 so older than the crew anyway) and this 50ish truck driver asked me if I was also expecting. Nice! The other time I was already pregnant with last baby only about 4 months along and another mechanic, again a 50 + man who I worked with for over a year at this point asked if I was about 7 or 8 months along. Again in front of a lunch table full of younger mechanics. Pretty humiliating. What is with these older men? Don't they know better by now? A guy should never as a girl unless he KNOWS.
Yeah, I've gotten that pregnancy thing in the past, too. I once heard a comedian say you should never ask a woman if she is pregnant unless she is acutally in labor. Good advice, I say!!
tam67green is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2013, 01:00 PM   #11  

S/C/G: 257.4/203.2/185

Height: 5'6

One New Years I went to sit on a friend's bed while we were all chatting, and wouldn't you know, the damn thing broke! Super embarrassing, they kept telling me they were about to buy a new bed anyways.

While at a bon fire with friends, I was standing and they told me to take a seat in one of the folding chairs. I did and everything was fine. When I got up, discovered the legs were all bent and crazy. To my defense, it was an old chair though :-/

And yes, I've had pregnancy comments. While working with seniors, I had one male ask how far along I was. I explained that I wasn't pregnant, just fat. Awkward!
AnnaBoBanna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2013, 03:03 PM   #12  
IP- a journey; not a race

S/C/G: 245/188/168

Height: 5'4" 41yo

Quote:
Originally Posted by SylviesGirl View Post
Worst one though was when I was one of the last getting on a Southwest flight. As far as the eye could see, nothing but middle seats were open. I kept walking, searching and hoping that there would be something in the back. I could see the eyes of people pretending to look down, but really watching to see that I didn't turn into their row.
I know it's not the point of your story, but I wanted to add something. Everyone that has sat in either the aisle seat or the window seat with no one in the middle is ALWAYS hoping that the middle seat will remain empty. I just wanted to point this out..... Even if you were "skinny minnie" walking down the aisle with only empty middle seats left, everyone is hoping you don't pick their row. Hopefully, this view point might take a little of the sting of your horrible memory.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

These stories make me so sad I guess they can be cathartic, though!

Let's promise each other that we will do our best to replace our sad/embarrassing memories with just as many (or more) pleasant memories when we are at more comfortable body weights and do things that we'd never imagined we'd ever be able to do (before or again).

And most importantly, when we encounter others that are overweight and in situations where they have just done something embarrassing, let's be the ones who give them a hand, a nod, a smile, a touch, a hug - anything to show we understand (and that we too have been there). Hopefully, just that one person responding and showing that we are all human and that each of us does matter will make the difference in the memory that they keep.
JenRem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2013, 03:21 PM   #13  
6/26/12 start 355

S/C/G: see tracker

Height: 5'9"

Quote:
Originally Posted by JenRem View Post
I know it's not the point of your story, but I wanted to add something. Everyone that has sat in either the aisle seat or the window seat with no one in the middle is ALWAYS hoping that the middle seat will remain empty. I just wanted to point this out..... Even if you were "skinny minnie" walking down the aisle with only empty middle seats left, everyone is hoping you don't pick their row. Hopefully, this view point might take a little of the sting of your horrible memory.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

These stories make me so sad I guess they can be cathartic, though!

Let's promise each other that we will do our best to replace our sad/embarrassing memories with just as many (or more) pleasant memories when we are at more comfortable body weights and do things that we'd never imagined we'd ever be able to do (before or again).

And most importantly, when we encounter others that are overweight and in situations where they have just done something embarrassing, let's be the ones who give them a hand, a nod, a smile, a touch, a hug - anything to show we understand (and that we too have been there). Hopefully, just that one person responding and showing that we are all human and that each of us does matter will make the difference in the memory that they keep.
I check when I get my boarding pass the day before is anyone has booked the middle seat... it builds my hopes there will be more room, but lately it's always crushed to hear "we have a full flight folks, we can check any carry on items for you here". Great point JenRem!

There was a thread about someone starting or trying to start a movement to wear a bracelett - basically as a symbol to say I wasn't always this size... let me see if I can find it....http://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/idea...ort-women.html I just bumped it up.
Halfagain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2013, 03:34 PM   #14  
Started IP 1/10/13

S/C/G: 225/175.5(home) 176.2(IP)/120

Height: 5'0"

I laughed at this and I'm talking couldn't catch my breath laughter, but once at a friend's cookout, I sat on this sort of delicate looking bench that someone much smaller than me had just vacated and it broke into a million pieces. I just laid there and laughed because it was so hilariously outrageously embarassingly funny to me.
Desafinado is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2013, 03:43 PM   #15  

Height: 5'6"

Having a breakdown and trying to hide in the middle of a store because I was balling my eyes out. It was the 4th store my mother took me to that day trying to find a dress for senior prom. I couldn't find any that fit. I will NEVER forget that.
Most recently it would be me shying away from fair rides because the last one we went I really wanted to ride something but I could buckle the safety belt. That sucked. But a few more pounds down and I plan to go zip lining wooohooo!
TNmom is offline   Reply With Quote