Old 03-19-2013, 01:55 AM   #1  

S/C/G: 135/135/110

Height: 4'9"

Default Medifast Update - Questions for starting out the first week.

So I've been on Medifast for 3 days.

My first day, I was fine, no headaches, had more energy, even had enough energy to go to the gym and I still wasn't tired, which was amazing! Opposite of what I thought I'd be feeling. I only drink water and green tea, not a fan of soda, my lean and green was a 5 oz cajun (Paprika, black pepper, garlic salt, basil leaves, cayenne pepper) salmon over a bed of spring mix and less than a table spoon of Roasted Bell Pepper vinaigrette.

Second day, I had the Original styled eggs (gave me a stomach ache) then I followed it with a Lemon Meringue Crunch Bar (gave me a worse stomach ache) after a few more meals, my stomach started to calm down - I'm guessing it's either the eggs or crunch bar - THIS DAY was by far the worse day on Medifast - I was so full and I didn't even want to fit in my last 2 meals but I did.

Third day, work day - so I started off with a shake, oatmeal (which was super gross).. , Cinnamon Pretzel Bites, L AND G (salmon and spring mix), half a Medifast shake, Medifast soup and finished the other half of the Medifast shake - I feel absolutely amazing, that it's hard to believe that the weight may drop... I could probably fit in daily work outs and feel good but I'm taking it easy and letting Medifast adjust to my body.

IS THIS TYPICALLY NORMAL? How well will Medifast work if I'm finding this meal plan comfortable?

Thanks!!!!
Teaa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2013, 08:43 AM   #2  

S/C/G: 255 / 230 / 185

Height: 5' 5"

Have you ever had problems with soy? or anything with soy? I agree on the oatmeal (gross) it was a textural thing, but I did find that I like the apple oatmeal has more texture.

You shouldn't be experiencing pain from the food - if you are I would recommend seeing a doctor and finding out if you have any allergies to the contents. Most of medifast food has the same ingredients. I wasn't happy the first four / five days but now moving into week 4 I'm very happy and find that I'm a bar and shake kinda girl. I've just received my next months food and it was divided into 20 boxes of bars and shakes (not a huge banana fan).

I have lost 16 pounds in my first 3 weeks and feel better than I have in forever. Again, I was miserable the first 4/5 days and the eggs would cramp up my stomach but then again so would a real scrambled egg (I typically only eat egg white) but I didn't experience stomach distress signals just unhappy with the food. I am now happy that I've found what I like. One suggestion is taste everything - if it makes you sick or unhappy - return it and get new food to try. I did that at first, my coach was very good about providing me samples of everything so I could see what I liked/could tolerate before my second order and now I've ordered only the foods I like and can tolerate.
YvonneH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2013, 10:03 AM   #3  

Quote:
Originally Posted by YvonneH View Post
Have you ever had problems with soy? or anything with soy? I agree on the oatmeal (gross) it was a textural thing, but I did find that I like the apple oatmeal has more texture.

You shouldn't be experiencing pain from the food - if you are I would recommend seeing a doctor and finding out if you have any allergies to the contents. Most of medifast food has the same ingredients. I wasn't happy the first four / five days but now moving into week 4 I'm very happy and find that I'm a bar and shake kinda girl. I've just received my next months food and it was divided into 20 boxes of bars and shakes (not a huge banana fan).

I have lost 16 pounds in my first 3 weeks and feel better than I have in forever. Again, I was miserable the first 4/5 days and the eggs would cramp up my stomach but then again so would a real scrambled egg (I typically only eat egg white) but I didn't experience stomach distress signals just unhappy with the food. I am now happy that I've found what I like. One suggestion is taste everything - if it makes you sick or unhappy - return it and get new food to try. I did that at first, my coach was very good about providing me samples of everything so I could see what I liked/could tolerate before my second order and now I've ordered only the foods I like and can tolerate.

I've experimented and it's the crunch bars that are high in sugar alcohol that causes agonizing pain! I can tolerate Medifast Lemon Meringue Crunch bars but chocolate and oatmeal and raisin throws me off course. I'm aching to go back to daily workouts I feel deprived wtihout them.. I just finished week 1 and have lost 5 lbs but went to the gym twice... I did light workouts compared to what I used to do - Elliptical 20 mins, stair master 10 mins, Squats with the smith machine at 50 lbs - ab abductor - ab adductor - leg press - leg extensions - lunges - all weight training = 3x10 sets (some days I add pull ups in) I'm hoping I lose more next week, I'm surprised at how slow this is taking... maybe I'm just expecting too much.
Old 03-23-2013, 10:38 AM   #4  

S/C/G: 255 / 230 / 185

Height: 5' 5"

The bars tend to make me hungry - seems the sweetness of them is just too much for me but they taste good so I hold on to them and use them when I'm out and about doing things... easy to carry.

I'm turning into a shake and apple oatmeal person... so far the three are the only I can really tolerate and actually enjoy which means I'll be able to stick to it.

Great on the work out just make sure you aren't doing too much - remember that you are only getting roughly 900~ calories a day which isn't a lot and your body needs to adjust. Hang in there - you will be back working out full steam soon enough - it is rough and will take a bit to get back to where you used to be but the benefits of waiting will outweigh those of doing too much and crashing.
YvonneH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2013, 11:02 PM   #5  

Are you still doing ok? I've been doing the program for a few years now: lost my weight and have been keeping it off! If you have a health coach, you should get extra assistance. I have a lot of friends on the program and have access to lots of resources! Keep up the good work!!!!
megsadevil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2013, 02:00 AM   #6  

Quote:
Originally Posted by megsadevil View Post
Are you still doing ok? I've been doing the program for a few years now: lost my weight and have been keeping it off! If you have a health coach, you should get extra assistance. I have a lot of friends on the program and have access to lots of resources! Keep up the good work!!!!

I think I'm doing alright? I have a loss of 5 lbs first week, 1 lbs the second week. I think may loss has been slow because I go to the gym too often.. I try to do light workouts but end up doing intensive workouts 4/7 days. I live in Canada and it's difficult purchasing Medifast via TSFL or MEDIFAST so I'm not entitled to a coach.. I purchase my meals from Amazon.com but if you have any tips, please let me know! Thanks!
Old 04-02-2013, 10:52 PM   #7  
MF 3/31/13

S/C/G: 261/ticker/155 for now

Height: 5'2"

Default Supplements?

Are you taking the Medifast Dietary Health supplements? I'm doing MF through a clinic and my counselor told me that the Dietary Health supplements help you through the transition to MF foods. I'm on day 3, taking the supplements twice daily and have had no stomach discomfort...
SuperHeroTeacher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2013, 02:04 AM   #8  

Quote:
Originally Posted by SuperHeroTeacher View Post
Are you taking the Medifast Dietary Health supplements? I'm doing MF through a clinic and my counselor told me that the Dietary Health supplements help you through the transition to MF foods. I'm on day 3, taking the supplements twice daily and have had no stomach discomfort...

No I'm not taking Dietary Health Supplements - I do have Hypothyroid and IBS - my stomach has always been sensitive I can now handle the Chocolate Crunch Bar but the Oatmeal Raisin bar just gets my stomach all wild.

I feel good on Medifast, I haven't lost a lot but I do feel thinner and I feel as if my muscles are developing a bit quicker.
Old 04-08-2013, 12:18 AM   #9  
MF 3/31/13

I'm glad you're doing well Teaa! I'm doing MF through the center and meet one-on-one with a counselor every week. I feel bad you don't get any professional support because you live outside the US. Let me know if you have questions that I can pass off to my counselor :wink:

Keep up the great work!
Old 04-08-2013, 09:49 AM   #10  

Quote:
Originally Posted by SuperHeroTeacher View Post
I'm glad you're doing well Teaa! I'm doing MF through the center and meet one-on-one with a counselor every week. I feel bad you don't get any professional support because you live outside the US. Let me know if you have questions that I can pass off to my counselor :wink:

Keep up the great work!
I wished I had some type of counselor or coach, I have so many questions but this forum has been a big help!!! Thank you so much for your kind offer, I really appreciate it, I do have one question, should I be incorporating more Cardio or Strength Training into my exercise? I started from working out 6 days per week to 3-4 per week now.

How are your one-on-one meets? What do they typically measure?
Old 04-08-2013, 08:45 PM   #11  
MF 3/31/13

Quote:
Originally Posted by Teaa View Post

How are your one-on-one meets? What do they typically measure?
Every week:
Weight
Blood pressure
Ketosis (first 2 months only)

Every 2 weeks:
Lean muscle weight
Water weight
Fat weight

Every month:
Body measurements
- bust
- waist
- hips
- thighs
- upper arm

I will slip your question into my next meeting on Saturday
Old 05-09-2013, 04:10 PM   #12  

Update! So I lost 9 lbs being on Medifast for 6 weeks. I just got back on Medifast since my order came in late. Was not on plan for 2 weeks but managed to lose more in a week than I did when I was on Medifast.. I gained 2 lbs back while being on Medifast... Not sure if I should be freaking out or dropping the plan. Oh and my time of the month is near, maybe that plays a factor as well. Been doing well, exercise 3-4 times a week, I find that's best for me as it doesn't put my body into stress mode.