Old 03-20-2013, 06:12 PM   #1  

S/C/G: See sig...

Height: 5'8

Exclamation The Men's Corner is gettin quiet again... How's about an update?

Where you guys at? Hows the loss going? Any NSVs?
Bluejaybythesea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2013, 08:29 PM   #2  
Trying to be in the 160s

S/C/G: See my siggy ;)

Height: 5'8"

I still do not know what NSV means. So any advice on that would be great.

Well, I have hit the 240s but after a big loss post Saturday night dance party (2 pounds), my weight went up again (1 pound) and has plateaued for a few days.

Here is my outlandish theory:

At the party I drank. I drank a lot. I danced a lot. But I really did drink a lot. And had a great time. I am guessing my immediate weight loss after the party could have been dehydration i.e. the hangover. But then for a few days after that the energy from the drink I was consuming was delaying my weight loss. It's probably BS but who knows. Let's hope my weight starts going down again.

I have also ordered a new digital scale. My old one is eight years old. I am praying the number don't go up just cos I got a new scale.

Other than that I am doing fantastic and feeling fantastic. But starting to feel a little freaked out in what is becoming my new body....

Last edited by IanG; 03-20-2013 at 08:32 PM.
IanG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2013, 08:45 PM   #3  

S/C/G: 395/241.5/250

Height: 6'4"

Week 5 weigh in is tomorrow - looking for a loss to have occurred. As I've said before it looks like my body loses every second week - so I'm wanting/expecting a loss tomorrow.

Have been losing inches as well, the winter jacket I stopped wearing about 2 - 3 years ago now fits perfectly. So instead of a 3-4 XL I'm rocking a 2XL. Quite happy about that.
Spiritman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2013, 10:16 PM   #4  
Joe

S/C/G: 405/249.5/281.5/220

Height: 6' 0"

I was stuck in a rut maintaining the same weight (about 295) for several weeks. I re-did my prep phase and rededicated myself to cut out the bad habit I have of having late night snacks. (I had substituted my past junk food for healthy and/or low calorie snacks, but that was causing my weight loss to stall.) Well, I am happy to report that as of today I weighed in at 288.5. So, I am down 6 pounds from last week. It just goes to show how easy it is to slip in dieting. Even though I was good the overwhelming majority of the time, those little indulgences here and there started to become bad habits again. This is why I must weight myself every day. I know that would drive some people batty, but I use the info constructively... to make changes to correct my bad habits. I don't let it discourage me and trigger a binge. I just pray that continues!

I also had a couple of NSVs. I bought a couple pairs of size 42 jeans that I really liked at Walmart a few weeks ago. I knew they wouldn't fit me just yet. But I tried them on to see how far away I was from getting into them. To my surprise, they buttoned, but were uncomfortably tight. So I bought them, knowing I would soon be able to wear them. Well, this morning I decided to try them on because my 48s are WAY too big and my 46s are in the wash. (I refuse to buy 44s because I am cheap and don't want to buy jeans every time I go down one size). Anyway, I tried them on this morning just for kicks AND THEY FIT! Not only that, when I put my new belt on (that I bought a few months ago to replace my old belt), I was on the very last belt hole! So, I will be needing a new belt soon too.

My other NSV is that my feet are pain-free after walking around Disney World for two days straight (with a small child on my shoulders for part of that walking). In the past when I was heavier, my feet would hurt so bad the next morning after walking so much that I literally would not be able to walk for several minutes after waking up. I would hobble around for a few days. But now, they feel fine! I am looking forward to how good I will feel as I lose the remaining 68 pounds.

Anyway, you can probably tell from the tone of my post that I am beyond thrilled. It has really motivated me to stay good with my eating habits. Now if I could only get my butt moving and do some exercise to get my flabby butt into shape!
joefla70 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2013, 02:57 AM   #5  

Ian: NSV = Non-scale Victory basically whenever something happens that is good which has nothing to do with your weight numerically. Like fitting into smaller pants etc.

Now for me. Well So far so good, if you check out my accountability post in the 100 lbs club (page 2 very last post) you will noticed I have lost the last three days. I am due for a gain which will probably happen tomorrow. I switched my protein consumption from throughout the day to night time so my body will probably be like "EHMEGERD!!1!" and I'l gain a small amount. Also I often drop 2-3 lbs then gain 1. So even though I weighed in at 234 today I probably will end up closer to 235 for the next few days.

I also weigh daily. I feel very in-control of my weight doing this because I can guess why whatever gain/loss is happening and correct/continue those habits.

Had a NSV today, got back into size 40 pants and even fit into a size 38 in dockers. Granted the waist had the elastic waistline thing-a-ma-jig but even with that the pants where not "holy-tap-dancing-Christ" tight.

Oh last night had another NSV, an ex co-worker who goes away for school dropped in to work last night and exclaimed, in that very "from the gut" kind of way you exclaim things when you are surprised, that "[I] look fantastic." Its my first one of those, most of those whom I see I see very often so they don't particularly notice. It really was the best feeling ever.
Old 03-21-2013, 03:50 PM   #6  
Sweat Is Fat Crying

S/C/G: 332/259.0/210

Height: 6' 4.5"

I'm gone in a notch on my belt today, put the belt on buckled it up then looked down to my amazement it was on the 2nd notch.....and here was me thinking last month i was gonna need a bigger belt. I like when things like that happen. You need these things to boost motivation.
IrishLad91 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2013, 04:10 PM   #7  
Joe

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluejaybythesea View Post

Now for me. Well So far so good, if you check out my accountability post in the 100 lbs club (page 2 very last post) you will noticed I have lost the last three days. I am due for a gain which will probably happen tomorrow. I switched my protein consumption from throughout the day to night time so my body will probably be like "EHMEGERD!!1!" and I'l gain a small amount. Also I often drop 2-3 lbs then gain 1. So even though I weighed in at 234 today I probably will end up closer to 235 for the next few days.
Awesome. That happens to me too. Usually I lose during the middle of the week (tues -thurs), and then add a little near the end. Right now I'm on a losing streak myself over the past week -- after not losing at all for a few weeks.

Quote:
I also weigh daily. I feel very in-control of my weight doing this because I can guess why whatever gain/loss is happening and correct/continue those habits.
I do the same thing and feel the same way about. I actually weigh myself several times during the day. I'm kinda obsessed like that. But I don't let it discourage me if the scale fluctuates up. I realize that is going to happen. I know some people can't do this because it would drive them crazy to see their weight bounce up and down, or not budge for days. But I can't imagine NOT getting on that scale every day.

Quote:
Had a NSV today, got back into size 40 pants and even fit into a size 38 in dockers. Granted the waist had the elastic waistline thing-a-ma-jig but even with that the pants where not "holy-tap-dancing-Christ" tight.
I love when this happens. I just bought a couple pairs of size 42 dress pants for work because the size 42 jeans fit. But they dress pants are still tight - even with the expand-a-waist things. I'm looking forward to getting into them soon.

Quote:
Oh last night had another NSV, an ex co-worker who goes away for school dropped in to work last night and exclaimed, in that very "from the gut" kind of way you exclaim things when you are surprised, that "[I] look fantastic." Its my first one of those, most of those whom I see I see very often so they don't particularly notice. It really was the best feeling ever.
I got one of those moments today. A guy who works in an office next to mine (who I don't really know, but I see often in the hallway), commented today that I looked like I "really trimmed down" and he asked me what I was doing to lose the weight. He is a big guy, like me. I was much heavier than him when I stared out, but am smaller than him now. A lot of people who know me have commented on my weight loss. But you figure that is going to happen. Its especially nice when people you don't really know that well make a point of commenting on it.
Old 03-21-2013, 04:25 PM   #8  
Trying to be in the 160s

Oh. NSV. I get it now.

I have had a few more compliments today as well, going from "you are looking so slim" to "how do you do it?". It's quite nice. It also seems to start a rumor off so other people start mentioning it as well. Let's see how this one rides out.

IrishLad91, one tip on the belts is that you can take an electric drill and add extra holes to keep your belts going a bit longer. I have done this and drilling through the leather seems to be the easiest way to do it. I used to try to stab holes in them which did not really work.

BlueJay. I am in 42 inch dockers at the moment, which I find to be one of the more conservative pants when it comes to the waist. 38 inches sounds awesome. I can, however, fit into 38 inch Calvin Klein straight fit pants which is opening up a lot of new shopping possibilities. One day it will be the tailor fit shirts rather than the regular fit. That will be nice.

My new scale arrives tomorrow. Big day. Watch the ticker. It could go either way.

Last edited by IanG; 03-21-2013 at 04:33 PM.
Old 03-21-2013, 04:46 PM   #9  

S/C/G: 395/241.5/250

Height: 6'4"

I had to do this just a day or two ago - new holes in the belt that is - I've got a leather punch so it's quite easier to make new holes as you need them.

I need to look at cutting the end of my belt off though, after I buckle it I've got this long piece of leather flapping in the breeze because the belt appears som much longer.
Spiritman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2013, 08:44 PM   #10  
Trying to be in the 160s

Quote:
I need to look at cutting the end of my belt off though, after I buckle it I've got this long piece of leather flapping in the breeze because the belt appears som much longer.
I'm just gonna keep wrapping it around my waist Spritman. It's my trophy belt!

Last edited by IanG; 03-21-2013 at 08:45 PM.
Old 03-22-2013, 03:24 AM   #11  

Ian, don;t let it discourage you if you find your your old scale is the mother of lies. Mine was, Olga lied to me like a parent to a 3 year old walking in on mom and dad during "their" time. I had to backtrack 15 lbs it was murder, but I pulled through. Had a steak and eggs dinner tonight with may more bread/starch then I want to admit. Although My prediction of a gain today turned out to be false, tomorrow it is fairly certain to happen.
Old 03-22-2013, 06:58 AM   #12  
Trying to be in the 160s

Thanks Bluejay. I am scaleless today. The old one kept giving me different readings about half a pound apart which is enough to put me up or down at the moment. So I will have to wait (or weight, get it?) for the new one.

Fingers crossed. I am flying blind at the moment.

Last edited by IanG; 03-22-2013 at 06:59 AM.
Old 03-22-2013, 09:20 AM   #13  
Joe

My scale does the same thing. (It is digital). It can give me different readings if I step on it twice... usually because the first reading was an aberration. So, I usually step on and off of it a few times (up to 5) to make sure I am getting the most accurate measurement. Usually there will be one weight that it will keep going back to. On a positive note, I think my scale is actually making me seem heavier than I am. Because when I have weighed myself at the scale of my grocery store, I weigh about 5-6 pounds less -- and that is with my clothes on and everything in my pockets. Maybe the scale at the store is wrong, but the same thing happened on a scale at a different grocery store. So, maybe I actually do weigh less.

While I weigh myself daily (and in fact, several times a day), I don't really let daily fluctuations bother me too much. They did bother me at first, but I have come to realize that this is going to be normal. So, while I do weigh myself every day, the only weight I really care about is my weekly weigh-in which I do at the same day /time of the week each week. As long as I have a loss from one week to the next, nothing else matters. Like Bluejay said in one of his earlier posts, I tend to lose early in the week, then gain a little back, and then lose some more. So, when I gain or maintain on any given day, I don't let it stress me out, because I know this is going to happen.

Last edited by joefla70; 03-22-2013 at 09:21 AM.