Old 03-20-2013, 02:01 PM   #1  

S/C/G: 178/start IP 159.8/134.8/130

Height: 5'3"

Question Easter is coming...any suggestions??

I'm in my second week of IP, staying on plan and happy with my first weigh in. The thought of Easter coming and 2 chocolate filled Easter baskets in my house is putting me in somewhat of a panic. Any suggestions on how to get through this?
Happymomof2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2013, 02:09 PM   #2  

S/C/G: 219/141/130

Height: 5'1''

Quote:
Originally Posted by Happymomof2 View Post
I'm in my second week of IP, staying on plan and happy with my first weigh in. The thought of Easter coming and 2 chocolate filled Easter baskets in my house is putting me in somewhat of a panic. Any suggestions on how to get through this?
Get it out of your house! Do you have family nearby that can bring it on Easter Day for your children? My sister leaves the baskets with my mom and dad who bring it over in the morning. It's too tempting for her...I would be the same. If you don't have family near, have your spouse take it to work or leave it in the car trunk (if it's not hot where you live). If you feel your will power is waffling at this early stage of the diet, don't test it. Too many unintentional cheats result from this scenario.

Good luck; stay strong! your desire to reach your goal and get healthy is far more important than a crummy piece of chocolate.
WorldTraveleronIP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2013, 02:12 PM   #3  
Reboot 9/2014

S/C/G: 198.6/173/165

Height: 5' 8"

This is one of those moments where you have to decide who is in control - YOU or the FOOD.

Temptations are going to happen for the rest of your life. Losing the weight and getting to maintenance doesn't mean that you won't STILL have those moments where you need to make a hard decision about what is going to go in your mouth. I am finding that happens MORE often now that I'm in maintenance, because I'm not under the restrictions of Phase 1.

If you truly can't resist the urge to eat the candy, then you need to get it away from you. But imagine that your diet is a bus - if you can visually put yourself in the drivers seat of that bus (heck, once I actually visualized myself kicking the tempting food OFF the bus), you will have a better chance of overcoming the pull of what you can't have. THAT is a skill that will serve you forever.

Good luck!
scorbett1103 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2013, 02:22 PM   #4  

S/C/G: 143/133/120

Height: 5' 2"

Quote:
Remember, the pleasure of chocolate only lasts seconds and then is over. Keep a restricted bar at hand so that you can enjoy that while others are eating their chocolate. Stay strong and you will be happy you did!
Jujubie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2013, 02:22 PM   #5  
Started IP 7/9/12

S/C/G: 224/135/133

Height: 5'5"

It helped me to keep as much of the off plan foods as possible hidden from view. I kept all the "goodies" in the pantry at home, and made sure not to put anything in there that I need on a regular basis. That way I wasn't looking at oreos everytime I needed a shake or bar.

Eventually it will not tempt you anymore, and you can have it all out in the open.
ragdoll74 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2013, 03:08 PM   #6  

S/C/G: 202.4/161/145

Height: 5' 6"

You could also try to pick candy that you're kids like, but that you aren't crazy about. That way you can get comfortable with having something around, but not being tempted. Or fill the baskets with non-food things. Small toys, games, stocking stuffer type stuff, etc.
GreatLakes86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2013, 03:10 PM   #7  

S/C/G: 216/209.6/180

Height: 5'9

I was fairly new into it when Valentines Day hit. I
am still looking at a bag of chocolates the kids didn't finish, probably because mommy didn't help them this time! It's hard, but possible. I am a huge chocoholic and cake person. Valentines I made cupcakes for kids and had the chocolates to deal with. Definately have the restricted handy. I tried making an IP cake, which to me didn't work out, but you might like it. I liked the batter better than the cake. There are recipes on the threads for cakes/cookies/chocolate bark. Maybe try something like that out and have your treat too! I find that removing it from the situation doesn't always work as you have to learn to deal with it if you are going to stay on plan. Especially with kids. Good luck.
ladylunk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2013, 03:25 PM   #8  
Restart: 1/5/15

S/C/G: 212/199.2/140

Height: 5'9"/36 yo

I find that I am more tempted to eat off plan when I allow two things to happen: (1) I am hungry and I am surrounded by unhealthy food choices and (2) healthy food choices are not easily accessible (i.e., they require a lot of prep).

I handle the first one by making sure I eat my meals regularly and I try not to go to an event (or be around tempting goodies in the house) at times when I am starting to get hungry in between food. For example, I tend to avoid happy hours with snacks because I know I'm hungry for dinner and my hunger may drive me to eat a potato skin that I really do not want!

I handle the second by prepping things and having them in the fridge easy to grab. I like to make a big pot of cauliflower soup at the beginning of the week. A cup of that is warm and satisfying and tides me over until my next protein. Chopped up veggies are another way to go. And in a pinch, I have a pickle.

Hope this helps!
benice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2013, 04:22 PM   #9  

S/C/G: 177/145/145

Height: 5'8"

Quote:
Originally Posted by benice View Post
I find that I am more tempted to eat off plan when I allow two things to happen: (1) I am hungry and I am surrounded by unhealthy food choices and (2) healthy food choices are not easily accessible (i.e., they require a lot of prep).

I handle the first one by making sure I eat my meals regularly and I try not to go to an event (or be around tempting goodies in the house) at times when I am starting to get hungry in between food. For example, I tend to avoid happy hours with snacks because I know I'm hungry for dinner and my hunger may drive me to eat a potato skin that I really do not want!

I handle the second by prepping things and having them in the fridge easy to grab. I like to make a big pot of cauliflower soup at the beginning of the week. A cup of that is warm and satisfying and tides me over until my next protein. Chopped up veggies are another way to go. And in a pinch, I have a pickle.

Hope this helps!
Yes! I agree. Make sure you eat on schedule. Hunger can make you do crazy things.

If there is extra candy throw or give it away. If it is your house you will probably eat it eventually.
Momto2cs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2013, 09:07 PM   #10  
Kara - Restart 8/23/2013

S/C/G: 277.4/214/160

Height: 5' 3"

Quote:
This is one of those moments where you have to decide who is in control - YOU or the FOOD.
I brought triple chocolate brownies to work for St Patty's day with cream cheese frosting.... everyone raved about them and someone said, how can you not eat this stuff when you make it?

I said, it's easy I don't even crave it. Well on the way home the open pan of cut brownies were sitting there on the seat next to me.... I kept thinking, just a bite... but I knew if I did I would be upset with myself and it WASN'T worth it!
Calisto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2013, 11:18 PM   #11  

S/C/G: 250/195/190

Height: 5'11.5"

I find that the IP bars or quest bars and the chocolate puffs can quench a sweet craving. Try eating just 5 or 6 of the puffs to get you over the hump or cut the bars into small sections and have a few pieces if you are between meals. Funny how just a little taste of one of these help so much.
Success is Messy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2013, 10:28 AM   #12  

S/C/G: 178/start IP 159.8/134.8/130

Height: 5'3"

Thank you so much for all of your advice. I think I'm going to fill the baskets with all candy I don't care for. I'm also plan on bringing my own food to Easter brunch. I've let all of my family know what I am doing and they have been supportive and promise to cheer me on and not let me slip. That helps as well as this forum. Thanks again!
Happymomof2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2013, 10:49 AM   #13  
IP Start Date 8/31/2012

S/C/G: 250/119/124

OK, here is an Easter-ish main dish for you:

8 oz. fat free ham
for every 8 oz. of ham:
1.5 cup cabbage, cut into bite sized pieces
0.5 cup bite sized pieces of rutabagus
1 leek, sliced
1 cup water or broth saved from cooking vegetables

Put ingredients in a baking dish, cover tightly with foil, bake at 400 for 1 hour. VERY FILLING.

You can eat the Ideal Protein chocolate covered soy snacks, they are kind of like the little eggs and so forth. You can also plan on some of the chocolate puddings or drinks that day. The Crispy Cereal can taste like Coco Puffs if you add WF chocolate syrup. Or, make the chocolate pancake - for Fat Tuesday, I made the chocolate pancake, spread it with the WF peanut butter and rolled it up. You can then slice it and put toothpicks through to make a bunch of little bite sized cakey treats.

This would also be the day that I pulled out some of the high volume veggies like cauliflower.

Good luck and let us know how you make out!
AlisonS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2013, 10:50 AM   #14  

Passover is next week and everything is carb loaded. I will have at my parents: chicken soup, no matzoh ball, stuffed veal breast without the stuffing, veggies, salad, and a SF dessert. My dad is a diabetic, so SF dessert. My mom will make me eat, I will have small portions, though.

I crave chocolate, but Kosher for Passover chocolate is horrible!..exception...I love the little chocolate covered ring jells and sugared fruit slices...none will be there and I live in area without Passover food in the store, so that is good for me.
CosmosHuman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2013, 11:04 AM   #15  

S/C/G: 183/154/140

Height: 5'2"

Quote:
I'm in the same boat, so here is what I'm doing:

1. Buying less chocolate/candy for the kids than usual so there is less in the house, and putting a few toys in their baskets.
2. Putting some of my IP bars/chocolate puffs in my own basket with a note from the easter bunny that he brought me some things I could have.

I wish you well!
FlooNimbus13127 is offline   Reply With Quote