Food Talk And Fabulous Finds Recipes, Healthy Cooking, and General Food Topics

Old 03-20-2013, 09:31 AM   #1  
Trying for normal

S/C/G: 253/ticker/175

Height: 5'5"

Default Sooo annoyed with the check-out counter

I'm practicing Intuitive Eating, so when I'm hungry I'm supposed to eat. I'm not the best forward planner in the world so today I found myself at the supermarket checkout counter and hungry.

What was there to eat? Chocolate and more chocolate...oh and crisps. Now with IE - I can eat anything I want (but I have to stop when I am full). But I'm avoiding crisps/chips because they are a trigger food for me and it's very hard when eating those to sense when I am truly satisfied and no longer hungry. And as for chocolate... a similar story PLUS I just don't enjoy mass-market choccie that much - and the pure sugar shot would make feel a bit queasy anyway. The healthiest thing there was chewing gum. And I know many peeps are down on the gum because it's believed it promotes hunger.

Governments are all on about obesity, but I hear very little about this pusher's paradise of check-out counter junk. I just wish there had been one somewhat healthy choice.

On the upside, I continued on my journey and found a fruit stall when I got out of the Tube. I got a banana for 20p and was much happier and slightly wealthier!
AlmostMe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2013, 09:49 AM   #2  

Trust me, I get your frustration!! It's so easy to toss a candy bar or bag of chips or Coke on the counter and I can be half way done with it before I leave the store! And you are right, there is never a display of bananas or other fruit to have as impulse purchases.

It's not so bad anymore now that I have my eating schedule under control but when I have to, I will choose to go through the candy free checkouts. Supposedly they are designated for babies and children who beg and cry but it could also include me as a 3FC!
elvislover324 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2013, 11:50 AM   #3  

S/C/G: 396/351/160

Height: 5'7"

A whole lot of marketing studying goes on regarding what to place at the check out aisles. First, it has to be small enough to stock a lot of items in a small space. Then they have to be items that people will buy on impulse; i.e., magazines, candy, and household junk you never knew you "needed." The chances of getting something healthy to eat there is kind of remote.

But one thing I noticed is that a lot of the stores around here offer the self service check out -- and there's nary a candy bar or magazine or nail clipper in site because even if you have to wait for a register to open up, it's likely to be faster than the staffed checkout lines.

I've gotten to the point when I'm in line that I get out the checkbook to write down the purchase even if I'm using a debit or credit card, then I check on email, then I check on FB, then I check on 3FC. If I'm still in line at that point, I vow never to return to the store. But it does keep my grabbing little hands busy.
betsy2013 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2013, 12:34 PM   #4  
Trying for normal

I know, it's hideous. As an IE practitioner, I wasn't even tempted by the chocolate. I ask myself if I'm going to enjoy it - and for me - the answer is no - I won't. I've never been a big fan of British chocolate. But one thing I do like about the UK impulse section is that sometimes there are flapjacks. The closest way to describe these to an American is maybe an oatmeal cookie bar or an oatmeal brownie. Still loaded with sugar, but I really like them and I can get the 'fullness'/satiety feeling when I eat those. Alas, there were none in sight today.
Old 03-20-2013, 01:43 PM   #5  
Starting over sucks.

S/C/G: 485/445/250

Height: 6'1

Congrats on being so successful with IE, it's something I've been working on because my relationship with food is so toxic.

I'm low carb, so on the occasions that I had to grab something fast, I can usually get by with a pep n' ched. Only thing is, they're 300 CALORIES! That's ridiculous!

Luckily I don't do a lot of shopping that's anywhere tempting. Mostly I go to the grocery store, where if I'm starved I can buy pre cut veggies or salads or even sliced sausage. The health food store has bulk almonds. The gas station? I try to find a pay at the pump one so I don't even have to go in!
Radiojane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2013, 01:45 PM   #6  

Height: 5'5

some stores have a "kid friendly" that doesn't have the candy there. Maybe see if there is one in your area?
cherrypie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2013, 06:32 PM   #7  
Trying for normal

No seriously - it's not that the crap food is tempting. It isn't. I'm supposed to eat when I'm hungry. I was hungry and just wanted something fast and easy. I could have gone into the store, but I was in a hurry. But I did go away hungry. I just wish there'd been something a bit more healthy at the front of the store.
Old 03-21-2013, 03:17 AM   #8  
Trying for normal

RadioJane - start reading up on IE - there's an IE thread under the General Diet forum. I'm absolutely convinced it's the only way to live in maintenance. I wouldn't tell you to shake things up now as you're being so successful. But I would advise you to start thinking about it, plant the seed in your head so when you're ready, you'll be well equipped and informed.

It's not easy because it requires head-checks throughout the day, every day, but it makes me feel in control of my relationship to food in a way that nothing else has. I feel 'easy' around food. If that makes sense. It also requires (in my view) regular - but enjoyable - exercise. But you're already doing that.