South Beach Diet Fat Chicks on the Beach!

Old 03-16-2013, 03:04 PM   #1  

Default SB- No fake sugar

I've been considering South Beach, but I'm hesitant. I cannot imagine not being able to eat my favorite yogurt: the 6 oz Chobani cups, Chobani Bites, and the Chobani Champions Tubes.

I know that I can still have the plain yogurt, but I can't stand the taste of it. I need to add a little honey to sweeten it. I cannot eat artificial sweeteners- Splenda, Sweet n Low, Equal, etc. Even Stevia/Truvia gives me issues.

I also do not like Agave. A lot of my research has pointed to Agave Nectar being very similar to HFCS chemically. I tend to gravitate towards honey and real sugar (though I only ever add sugar/honey to plain yogurt or plain shredded wheat cereal).

So, I'm just wondering if there's any way around the restrictions on sugar. I just cannot imagine going so long without it.
honeylissabee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2013, 04:08 PM   #2  
Big Miss Sunshine

S/C/G: 280/See Ticker/175

Height: 72.5"

I eat Chobani, as well. Plain and nonfat. I add blueberries, chia seeds and nectresse. That is a new sweetener that is supposedly all natural and made from monk fruit. It has less than 1 calorie per serving. So far, I like the taste and have had no ill effects (unlike with Aspartame or Saccharin).

Just my two cents.
MissKoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2013, 04:41 PM   #3  
Heading Downtown...

S/C/G: 225/165/165

Height: 5'8"

Just an FYI... Nectresse contains... Erythritol, Sugar, Monk Fruit Extract, and Molasses... So 1 pkt contains 2g of carbs coming from the Erythritol... so this allows them to label it as "0" calories even though this is technically not the case, but the FDA considers it to be "diatectically" zero... I've actually been using a little bit of it my coffee lately because I like the taste... but as far as it being "all natural" I think the company is being a little bit misleading on that one... although in their defense all companies do it.... but it's still a highly processed product...

Last edited by TripSwitch; 03-16-2013 at 05:38 PM.
TripSwitch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2013, 05:00 PM   #4  
L J

S/C/G: 159/138/135 (HW 200)

Height: 5'4"

I am highly allergic to artificial sweeteners, so I feel you, completely. I did SB with success for several months (between pregnancies) and I still put real sugar in my coffee. Not much, but sugar nonetheless.

I read the SB books and thought it sounded like a great lifestyle change, but I know myself well enough to know that a diet that forces me to drink my coffee black will have me off plan on day 1. So, I incorporated 90% of it into my life and it still gave me excellent results. I'm calorie counting right now, but still eating primarily phase 2 SB. The principles of SB were easy to integrate into my life, and they stuck. I loved so many of the recipes in the cookbook that I still use them frequently.

I'm sure those that cut out all sugar have better results, but I never beat myself up for not being able to.
L J is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2013, 06:48 PM   #5  
Big Miss Sunshine

Default Radioactivity is natural, too . . .

Quote:
Originally Posted by TripSwitch View Post
Just an FYI... Nectresse contains... Erythritol, Sugar, Monk Fruit Extract, and Molasses... So 1 pkt contains 2g of carbs coming from the Erythritol... so this allows them to label it as "0" calories even though this is technically not the case, but the FDA considers it to be "diatectically" zero... I've actually been using a little bit of it my coffee lately because I like the taste... but as far as it being "all natural" I think the company is being a little bit misleading on that one... although in their defense all companies do it.... but it's still a highly processed product...
Thanks for that info! I'm not worried about the 2 carbs. That's eight calories from the sugar alcohols (which don't bother me). I think the all natural may be a bit disingenuous, as well. One thing, though, is that the FDA gets an F in math! 8 should round UP to 10, not down to zero!! Why are they allowed to say it is "less than one calorie" unless one little packet has eight servings!

I guess I still feel okay about using it on my greek yogurt. I have stopped eating so many things that made me sick that now I notice little things that aren't working for me. I no longer eat red meat (or pork), baked goods, wheat, fast food, white food (potatoes, rice, etc.). Almost all the fruits and veggies I eat are organic. If nectresse ends up on the "bad" list, so be it! I'll never go back to Aspartame or Saccharine or Table sugar. Those are numbers one, two and three on the bad list for me!!
Old 03-16-2013, 07:12 PM   #6  
Heading Downtown...

S/C/G: 225/165/165

Height: 5'8"

Quote:
Originally Posted by MissKoo View Post
Thanks for that info! I'm not worried about the 2 carbs. That's eight calories from the sugar alcohols (which don't bother me). I think the all natural may be a bit disingenuous, as well. One thing, though, is that the FDA gets an F in math! 8 should round UP to 10, not down to zero!! Why are they allowed to say it is "less than one calorie" unless one little packet has eight servings!

I guess I still feel okay about using it on my greek yogurt. I have stopped eating so many things that made me sick that now I notice little things that aren't working for me. I no longer eat red meat (or pork), baked goods, wheat, fast food, white food (potatoes, rice, etc.). Almost all the fruits and veggies I eat are organic. If nectresse ends up on the "bad" list, so be it! I'll never go back to Aspartame or Saccharine or Table sugar. Those are numbers one, two and three on the bad list for me!!
Sorry I think my first post might have been confusing... the 2g of carbs in a packet of Nectreese come mostly from erythritol which is a sugar alcohol, so it doesn't contain 4 calories per gram... It's only something like 0.5 calories.... So while not technically zero the FDA considers it "zero".... Which is the case for anything up to 4 calories per serving or less... So I guess if you used several packets of the stuff a day or started to spoon it over things than the "empty" calories could start to add up.... And especially if you used it in baking than those "zero" calories wouldn't really be zero any longer... But for most people not a problem...

Although I don't know what it is about the stuff... But I think it's secretly addictive or something... Because I seem to be using more of it than I ever did with the other "zero" calorie sweeteners... lol...

Actually I was always a fan of "Sugar in the Raw" packets in my coffee, because I liked the taste... but I've given those up... But I was excited to see they're making something called "Monk Fruit in the Raw" that I'm curious to try now...

Last edited by TripSwitch; 03-16-2013 at 07:20 PM.
TripSwitch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2013, 07:58 PM   #7  

S/C/G: maintaining

My thinking has always been that you can make SB your own so that it fits your needs. Ideally you'd stick with the plan, as close as possible, for at least the first two weeks. You can do anything for two weeks

That said, I eat Chobani pretty much every day. The kind with fruit in it. (I'm maintaining.) If it doesn't cause you cravings, I think you'll be fine. Everyone is different with what foods set them off. Yogurt doesn't bother me. Now bread and crackers and cereal, that's another story altogether!
WaistingTime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2013, 11:55 PM   #8  

Quote:
Originally Posted by WaistingTime View Post
My thinking has always been that you can make SB your own so that it fits your needs. Ideally you'd stick with the plan, as close as possible, for at least the first two weeks. You can do anything for two weeks

That said, I eat Chobani pretty much every day. The kind with fruit in it. (I'm maintaining.) If it doesn't cause you cravings, I think you'll be fine. Everyone is different with what foods set them off. Yogurt doesn't bother me. Now bread and crackers and cereal, that's another story altogether!
This right here makes me feel better.

I've known that I have issues with most artificial sweeteners, but I decided to try some Stevia in the Raw today to see if that would be any better. It was absolutely VILE. Needless to say, I'm pretty much swearing off any and all 0 calorie sweeteners.

I do think that I will be incorporating my Chobani in my diet- the tubes, Bites, and the regular 6 oz cups. After all, your diet should be something that you can do for the rest of your life. That's what I don't understand about SB and its phases. I kind of understand that by cutting back on carbs for a period and then keeping "bad" carbs out, you lessen your dependency on them. I get that after two weeks of no sugar, even an apple is heaven. However, there are going to be occasions where I am going to get cake. I just need to work on making sure those "occasions" don't happen once a week.

But it's likely that, for a while, my Chobani will be my sweet treat... and if I'm REALLY feeling like a splurge, I'll go for a Chobani flip: Vanilla chocolate chunk with raspberry.
Old 03-17-2013, 08:23 AM   #9  

S/C/G: maintaining

Quote:
Originally Posted by honeylissabee View Post
After all, your diet should be something that you can do for the rest of your life. That's what I don't understand about SB and its phases. I kind of understand that by cutting back on carbs for a period and then keeping "bad" carbs out, you lessen your dependency on them. I get that after two weeks of no sugar, even an apple is heaven. However, there are going to be occasions where I am going to get cake. I just need to work on making sure those "occasions" don't happen once a week.
True. And I think that is why so many people regain after going on any plan - they go back to how they always ate without instilling any real change. It sounds so simple and obvious, but for me, has taken years of yo-yo dieting to have the light bulb stay on above my head.

PH1 is extremely helpful for many to cut cravings. You will likely read here that lots of long-time beachers (both maintainers and those still trying to lose) will occasionally go back on PH1 for a period of time if they find themselves slipping or craving or whatever it is for them. I know I've used it more than once myself. But if you don't need it, you don't need it, IMO.

Also, for many (but not all) there is that added bonus of a bit more initial weight loss with PH1 which can be very motivating. But I doubt that eating yogurt will impact your weight loss much if at all. There are a couple things that I eat during PH1 that are not officially allowed that make it much easier for me and don't impact my success. I'm sure I'm not alone with this.

I think the key for us each is to figure out things for ourselves and sounds like you are well on your way to doing just that.
WaistingTime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2013, 08:30 AM   #10  

S/C/G: 144/131/128

Height: 5' 4"

Karen has some wise words for you!

And did you have stevia plain? Was it just the taste? You barely need any stevia (that drop stuff?! Gross!) in things. I do use stevia for my smoothies...but only 1/2 pack per 1- 1 1/2 servings, and it just lightly sweetens it.

I don't eat any artificial sweeteners, I just think they're creepy...I'll have real sugar in small amounts or nothing at all. I learned to even drink my coffee with milk or *gasp* even black! I think you won't have a problem at all with SBD and no sweeteners. To me, SBD is what nature intended you to eat, and I'm betting it's not those chemicals .
TwynnB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2013, 09:50 AM   #11  
Xan
serial rejoiner

S/C/G: 296/264/160

Height: 5' 8"

I loved what Karen and Twynn wrote. I've gotten derailed once or twice because I knew I wouldn't be "perfect."

Also, if you do want to go by the book, the good doctor allows up to 75 calories of "sweet treats" a day. I'm not sure he lists sugar -- but, as has been said, if one packet in your coffee is not a trigger for you and will keep you on a plan of healthy eating, then why not?
Xan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2013, 10:25 AM   #12  

Quote:
Originally Posted by TwynnB View Post
Karen has some wise words for you!

And did you have stevia plain? Was it just the taste? You barely need any stevia (that drop stuff?! Gross!) in things. I do use stevia for my smoothies...but only 1/2 pack per 1- 1 1/2 servings, and it just lightly sweetens it.

I don't eat any artificial sweeteners, I just think they're creepy...I'll have real sugar in small amounts or nothing at all. I learned to even drink my coffee with milk or *gasp* even black! I think you won't have a problem at all with SBD and no sweeteners. To me, SBD is what nature intended you to eat, and I'm betting it's not those chemicals .
I had it plain- granulated packets. Not only did the taste bother me, but it made my stomach churn. Honestly, it was more of the AFTERTASTE that bothered me. It reminded me too much of Splenda.

I never sweeten my smoothies. If my smoothie recipe isn't sweet enough, I'll add some banana or mango or some other sweet fruit. Sugar? Absolutely not!

Again, I generally don't use much sweetener. I add up to a tablespoon of honey to plain yogurt (and I am working on cutting back), but otherwise, I try to eat things in its natural state as much as possible. It just so happens that I do eat a few things that COME sweeteneed, and I'm not sure I'm willing to give them up.
Old 03-17-2013, 12:37 PM   #13  

S/C/G: 144/131/128

Height: 5' 4"

Ah, you'll be fine Honey! I would just try to limit them while you're trying to lose weight, and in moderation during maintenance (that's where me and a lot of others need to tweak...moderating..).

(as an example - I love craisins in yogurt...they're sugar added, but around 5g per tablespoon, which is about what I add...and that's okay by me....)
TwynnB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2013, 01:42 PM   #14  
Xan
serial rejoiner

S/C/G: 296/264/160

Height: 5' 8"

Yes! There's no South Beach Diet prison for those who make a tiny change for a good reason. Twynn is right! You'll be fine.
Xan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2013, 09:14 PM   #15  
Big Miss Sunshine

South Beach Prison! Love it! I'm always kind of afraid of that . . .

I've been using the South Beach iPhone app to journal my eating and it has really helped me. So, I looked back on the days that I put the sweetener in the Chobani and I didn't overeat that day or the next (I'm on Phase 2). That leads me to believe it isn't something that's going to send me to SBP (South Beach Prison).
BTW: Tripswitch,, I tried the Monk Fruit in the Raw. Tastes good. Didn't upset my stomach. That box says "all natural" as well as the Nectresse did. Don't know if it is addictive, though. Maybe I'll skip a day or two and see if I have an overwhelming urge to break in to my Harris Teeter at night and STEAL ALL THE MONK FRUIT!!