General Diet Plans and Questions General diet questions, support for various diet plans other than those listed below.

Old 03-19-2013, 09:26 AM   #1  

Default Cooking chicken in bulk then freezing!!!!!

I was wondering if anyone here buys chicken in bulk when on sale and cook it and freeze it and have it already cooked for the busy days. Just reheat and put on salad or rice.

Thanks
canadacatman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2013, 10:23 AM   #2  
Becoming A Better Me

Nope but makes perfect sense and i will now!
dangerouscurvesahead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2013, 10:40 AM   #3  
I got this

S/C/G: 206/162/135

Height: a little over 5'2

Yes, I have done it before in the crockpot, oven and grill. Grilling is my fave way to go. Sometimes the crockpot can make it more of poached chicken which isn't just my thing. Just season/marinate whatever flavors (you can do some plain, some lemon pepper, some garlic, etc if you want different flavors.

I would recommend after cooking, to slice chicken in strips or cubes, put on baking/cookie sheet then freeze so it won't stick together too bad once you put it in tupperware or ziploc bags. It also thaws faster that way as opposed to putting a whole cooked breast in, you know?

Perfect for lazy days and/or busy days.
amandie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2013, 10:52 AM   #4  

Great ideas here!! I agree with having our own precooked chicken in the freezer. I saw the thread about having Tyson precooked chicken as a quick fix but it's so much healthier to make our own, plus it's cheaper! I have found that pre-planning and prepping is saving my new style of eating. No need to eat impulse items anymore due to poor planning on my part.
elvislover324 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2013, 11:28 AM   #5  

I like the cookie sheet idea amandie but ll it not get freezer burnt. Thanks
canadacatman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2013, 03:09 PM   #6  

S/C/G: 215/188/150

Height: 5'4"

Nope, I don't like thawed cooked chicken unless it's in a stew, I have stews in the freezer but not grilled like you guys are talking about it.

I buy chicken breasts and freeze them individually. They defrost in no time and cook up pretty fast, by the time I'm done chopping my salad the chicken is cooked, hot ready and juicy.

Last edited by Palestrina; 03-19-2013 at 03:09 PM.
Palestrina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2013, 04:06 PM   #7  

S/C/G: size 20/14/10

Height: 5' 7"

Yes. Whenever we have a whole chicken or even a rotisserie from the store. What we don't eat is deboned and shredded or cubed. I freeze it in snack size ziplocs which are stored in a gallon size freezer bag. It is used later for chicken tacos, quesadillas, soups, chicken salad sandwiches, occasionally in a casserole or chicken pot pie.
mariposssa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2013, 04:25 PM   #8  

S/C/G: 160/130/135

Height: 5'1

I pre-cook mine and wrap a few pieces together in parchment paper, then into a Baggie all together. No freezer burn and you can take out the portions you want.
Canadiandieter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2013, 04:51 PM   #9  
I got this

S/C/G: 206/162/135

Height: a little over 5'2

Admittedly, yes the pre-cooked then thawed chicken does dry out but I don't mind it for salads and rice if there is sauce. Sometimes what helps is that I re-heat the pre-cooked thawed chicken in a pan with a 1/2 cup broth or water/seasoning on low with the lid on, this somewhat re-hydrates the chicken in the process. Texture is fine (at least to me, lol.)
amandie is offline   Reply With Quote