Old 03-18-2013, 01:06 PM   #1  

S/C/G: 219/141/130

Height: 5'1''

Default Blender help

Good morning/afternoon to all,
I am about to buy a vitamix but I am hesitating (because it is so costly). At this point, all I really need it for is smoothies (IP packets with ice and veggies) and veggie purees.

Can I get by with a more reasonable blender? They all say they handle ice crushing...but, I have had bad luck with a string of $20-100.00 blenders. Even my KitchenAid blender was a big disappointment.

What do all of you use for daily smoothies?

Thank you for your help!!

Last edited by WorldTraveleronIP; 03-18-2013 at 01:07 PM.
WorldTraveleronIP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2013, 01:12 PM   #2  

S/C/G: 326/SEE TRACKER/163

Height: 5'7"

I love my Vitamix!!! I make cauliflower rice, pesto, whipped topping, smoothies, etc. using it. All IP friendly.
MSDEEDEE23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2013, 01:14 PM   #3  
Started IP 1/14/2012

S/C/G: 286/165/169

Height: 5'9"

I generally use my magic bullet for IP shakes with spinach and find it sufficient. i don't use ice in my drinks though. However I bought a Vitamix a few months ago to use for veggie purées and soups. In maintenance I plan to use it for protein shakes / smoothies with frozen fruit, sorbets, and for making my own almond milk, flour, etc. I'm gluten free and will be on a paleo style maintenance. I got tired of going through blenders (3 in 3 years) so I decided the Vitamix was better value for the money.
KitKat169 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2013, 01:28 PM   #4  

Thank you! Does the vitamix crush ice well? The ads talk about how it shreds through fibrous fruits and veggies but never mentions ice.
Old 03-18-2013, 01:36 PM   #5  
Started IP 1/14/2012

S/C/G: 286/165/169

Height: 5'9"

Quote:
Originally Posted by WorldTraveleronIP View Post
Thank you! Does the vitamix crush ice well? The ads talk about how it shreds through fibrous fruits and veggies but never mentions ice.
I have frozen cucumber sorbet in ice cubes that I crush without any other liquid in the blender and it makes it snow-like, works really well. I don't put ice in shakes but I can't see why that wouldn't work just as well.
KitKat169 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2013, 01:37 PM   #6  

S/C/G: 255/196/180

I have a Ninja set and LOVE it. Only cost me about $50 a BJ's. I use it for all of my shakes and in pre IP life it made great margaritas!
mquinn106 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2013, 01:39 PM   #7  

Quote:
Originally Posted by mquinn106 View Post
I have a Ninja set and LOVE it. Only cost me about $50 a BJ's. I use it for all of my shakes and in pre IP life it made great margaritas!
I have never heard of that...I'll have to google it
Old 03-18-2013, 01:42 PM   #8  

It got great reviews on Amazon and the professional one comes with single serving pitchers for smoothies. $129.00 sounds so much better than $378.00.
Old 03-18-2013, 01:48 PM   #9  
Started IP 3/26/12

Height: 5'5"

I have a Ninja too, and recommend it. I also have a small individual serving size Hamilton Beach blender that I've used constantly since starting this diet. It's the one I regularly reach for, unless I'm making something in a larger quantity. It may not crush ice as well as a Vitamix, etc., but it does a good enough job with ice in shakes. I often put a couple of frozen spinach 'cubes' right in the drink, and it chops them up and blends them right in. And it's so handy because it takes up little counter space, and the cup is removable... just take it off the blender stand, and sip your shake right from it. Or put the lid on, and take it with you. A very handy utensil.

Last edited by evepet; 03-18-2013 at 01:52 PM.
evepet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2013, 02:01 PM   #10  

Quote:
Originally Posted by KitKat169 View Post
I have frozen cucumber sorbet in ice cubes that I crush without any other liquid in the blender and it makes it snow-like, works really well. I don't put ice in shakes but I can't see why that wouldn't work just as well.
Thank you!!
Old 03-18-2013, 02:02 PM   #11  

Thank you everyone for your feedback...has anyone tried the Blendtec? I'm on amazon reading blender reviews now..
Old 03-18-2013, 02:30 PM   #12  

Ok-I just ordered the Ninja off Amazon. I should have it on Wednesday. I'll make my smoothie Wednesday evening or Thursday morning and let you know what I think
Old 03-18-2013, 03:40 PM   #13  
Es ist ein neuer Tag!

S/C/G: Highest 280+

Height: 5' 7"

Quote:
Thank you everyone for your feedback...has anyone tried the Blendtec? I'm on amazon reading blender reviews now..
I am not on IP but wanted to respond to your question about Blendtec. I bought a Blendtec a couple of months ago and have not regretted a single penny of the purchase price. Costco has the best price out there and they are the only place I have found that offers two blender jars in the package. If you are not a member of Costco you can still order from them but they charge non-members a 5% increase. http://www.costco.com/Blendtec%C2%AE...=30272%2B12816

I make green smoothies every day that include greens (usually Spinach or Kale), an orange, an apple, frozen blueberries, frozen strawberries, protein powder, Flax seed and water. Sometimes I add celery and carrots as well. There are many other things you can make with it as well and it comes with a recipe book.
MamaP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2013, 03:43 PM   #14  

Quote:
Originally Posted by MamaP View Post
I am not on IP but wanted to respond to your question about Blendtec. I bought a Blendtec a couple of months ago and have not regretted a single penny of the purchase price. Costco has the best price out there and they are the only place I have found that offers two blender jars in the package. If you are not a member of Costco you can still order from them but they charge non-members a 5% increase. http://www.costco.com/Blendtec%C2%AE...=30272%2B12816

I make green smoothies every day that include greens (usually Spinach or Kale), an orange, an apple, frozen blueberries, frozen strawberries, protein powder, Flax seed and water. Sometimes I add celery and carrots as well. There are many other things you can make with it as well and it comes with a recipe book.
Thank you for your response! If the Ninja I just ordered doesn't work out, I will head to Costco for a Blendtec
Old 03-18-2013, 04:39 PM   #15  
Started IP 01/01/13

S/C/G: H-247/S-187.2/ C-137.2/G-125

Height: 5'2"

Quote:
Thank you for your response! If the Ninja I just ordered doesn't work out, I will head to Costco for a Blendtec
I guess I'm too late, but I bought this:

http://www.amazon.com/HealthMaster-1...s=healthmaster

When I purchased it, they had the black model refurbished. It has the same specs as the Vitamix, and also makes soups, sorbets, nut butters, etc. I've only had it about a month, use it for soups and shakes, but can't wait until it warms up so I can try some "frozen treats". It has great reviews (I think most of the bad ones are by people who just didn't read the FAQs), and for $99 no longer have Vitamix envy! You'd never know it was refurbished... packaged as new with the cookbook as well, and the website says it has a lifetime warranty.
RareBird is offline   Reply With Quote