Depression and Weight Issues Have you been diagnosed with depression, are possibly on depression medication, and find it affects your weight loss efforts? Post here for support!

Old 03-08-2013, 09:31 AM   #1  
Biker Chick!

S/C/G: 169/152/145

Height: 5' 5"

Default March Chat

a little late but here is a place for daily talk. I've been holding off starting one because I'm feeling so blah myself. Hey hey but misery loves company right

so please check in
VermontMom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2013, 05:16 PM   #2  
Gotta run!

S/C/G: 210/*ticker*/160

Height: 5'5

Hey guys It's nice to see some old friends again... thought I'd contribute to this, the OFFICIAL monthly thread LoL.

I had a really rough time after my Dad passed in September and for lack of a better term I "fell off the wagon". It's been rough, my weight is back up also... c'est la vie, but I've started another 5k running plan for base milage and plan to do a 10k plan after that and a half marathon plan after that. I figured it out and I think I'll finish some time in late November... whew!

Also since I've been gone I've become certified in CPR and first responder first aid (step above basic) and I've been taking karate with my best friend (her dad is the sensei - 4th degree black belt!). So I've become known as the girl who can break you then put you back together.

On the meds side my doc put me on welbutrin in the morning and backed off my zoloft. She said I could have kept my zoloft up but I'm not sure I want to take that many drugs. My mood isn't bad, I still have some ups and downs but I'm handling them a lot better than I used to. I switched to the welbutrin because I hate the side effects of the zoloft... and my husband did too if you know what I mean.

Husband isn't working again other than small side jobs... we burned through my inheritance that I got when Grandma passed... I'm trying not to dwell on that but yes, I'm pretty pissed about it. I think I'm just a blind optimist... I keep thinking things will get better and this not working thing is temporary. He doesn't know but his time is running out... I'm staying clam cool and collected about it this time. If it comes down to it I'll just tell him I need a partner, not a dependant....

Oh well. Enough of this blah! How is everyone else??????????????????

Last edited by Aunty Jam; 03-08-2013 at 05:21 PM.
Aunty Jam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2013, 09:30 AM   #3  
Biker Chick!

Hey Aunty Jam!! congrats on the first responder, CPR cert! and for karate, kewl 8)

so sorry that grief over your dad caused a gain, I hear ya. I'm sure with your running you can knock it off this spring. can you run outside now? Here it just isn't do-able iwth the snow and ice still.

I had a terrible eating day yesterday, in that, in my twisted mind, I wanted to punish my husband by starving myself so i had hardly a thing all day, but caved of course when I came home and found supper ready. Wow does it hurt your tummy to be hollow-empty then stuffed. I am such a mess .
Old 03-09-2013, 11:03 AM   #4  
Miraculous Amus Babus ;)

S/C/G: 271/217/140

Wink

Good morning

My support to both of you, VermontMom and Aunty Jam.

I am doing better. I was pretty upset earlier this week due to a break up with my now 'ex boyfriend.' I am visiting family and a friend here in NYC which feels great. It is so nice to get away and relax a bit.

I still want to work on eating healthier. I have been going on more walks and I hope to build up to swimming laps indoors. For almost a month, I was out of commission due to the flu and pneumonia. I feel much better now though.

Now, I am in group therapy, am going to start volunteering at my local hospital and hope to get back to feeling like myself.

Take care everyone!
seabiscuit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2013, 08:01 AM   #5  
Biker Chick!

Hey Seabiscuit really sorry about the breakup...how are you doing?

I just have to give a shout out to 2 members who I haven't seen here in well over a year, Marie and ems81wales. I know there are others also who used to post here regularly and everyone is missed, you do make a connection. I'm not trying to make anyone feel bad for not being here, just letting all know that you are missed and I hope you are OK
Old 03-14-2013, 08:04 AM   #6  
Biker Chick!

Hey Seabiscuit really sorry about the breakup...how are you doing?

I just have to give a shout out to 2 members who I haven't seen here in well over a year, Marie81 and ems81wales. I know there are others also who used to post here regularly and everyone is missed, you do make a connection. I'm not trying to make anyone feel bad for not being here, just letting all know that you are missed and I hope you are OK

March is not a great month for me, my dad died in March and his birthday is in March; winter is dragging on; I can NOT keep to sensible eating for even a day; I wear the exact same thing day after day to work (I'm sure my husband/wife team of bosses are commenting)

Last edited by VermontMom; 03-14-2013 at 08:07 AM.
Old 03-14-2013, 12:57 PM   #7  
Gotta run!

Hi Seabiscuit - I'm glad to hear you're feeling better! What kind of volunteering will you be doing? Just remember ex's are that for a reason. Btw... I love KT Tunstall too

Mom - I know how you feel My dad's bday is in January so we've just had the first one without him, first christmas also. It was really nice here, things were thawing and growing! I have ran outside once this winter but some people don't clear their walks very well and there was just too much ice for me to feel very safe. Now we have a snowfall warning and the temperature has gone back down. I have a treadmill in the basement so I use that through the winter.... my dogs like to bark at it. How about you make small changes to what you're wearing... work yourself up to a bigger change? I wore my friday (very casual) clothes today because I knew it was going to be cold, I was tired and my boss wouldn't care. So I'm wearing a hoodie that says "Life is short, play with your dog" hahaha.

I'm so hungry and tired all of the time I've been on this running program for 3 weeks and I've managed to lose .5 of a pound... ggggrrrrr I HAVE to lose 17 pounds by the end of june and I have a potluck and a wine date with a friend this weekend.
Old 03-16-2013, 03:45 PM   #8  
Miraculous Amus Babus ;)

Red face Hey there

Vermont Mom-

I am sorry about the loss of your father. That has to be extremely tough. I hope you can use some good coping skills to take care of yourself. I know the feeling of not eating sensibly. For me, the problem usually starts in the grocery store. Whatever I decide to take home, that's where my first mistake or positive step forward begins.

Aunty Jam-

Good for you for doing a running program! I hear you about feeling hungry and tired. That is no fun! Do you think your feeling tired is from the running or a medical reason? I love the photo of your dogs and I like what your hoodie says! KT Tunstall is cool, isn't she? Take care.

I am doing alright, I guess. I had my dental crown re-cemented yesterday, it came out when I was eating a jelly bean! My gum is a little sore now but I am feeling better. I have been eating less because of the dental issue and I have to say, I don't really miss the extra food all that much. Yes, I do feel hungry at times but it feels nice to not be bogged down with all that food. I hope I can continue eating less as my tooth heals. I am trying to break some habits like not going to Starbucks that often, and I was doing great but now I find I am going more again. I don't even really enjoy it all that much, I don't know why I go. The break-up with my ex-boyfriend was rough, I saw him the other day when he came by to drop off stuff that I left at his place and I cried a lot when I brought everything back into my apartment. I am glad things are over between us although a part of me misses the companionship, I am just glad that we aren't together because I was so tired of the fighting. I thought I would try getting back into a relationship but I decided I wasn't ready yet. There is a weight management group that I may join, which I am looking forward to for some support, at my mental health center. My insurance covers it so I may do it. I just feel a bit depressed that I have been overweight for so long, it truly depresses me. Part of it is an uphill battle for me with the psych meds but a lot of it is my choice as to what I decide to eat. I want to get more active but my iron deficient anemia has made me pretty tired. I am taking more iron now to help combat the fatigue. I'd really like to shed this weight off and keep it off.

Well thanks for listening, I didn't mean to lump everything into that one paragraph!

Take care!!
Old 03-17-2013, 09:00 AM   #9  
Biker Chick!

Hey chicks
Seabiscuit, I should have clarified that my dad died in March of 2001 ...so it's been a while but you still always remember the date. I hope you can continue to cope dealing with the breakup. I think joining that weight management group sounds like a great idea, it's always good to have as much support and camraderie as possible.

Aunty Jam - if I followed a running program for that long and only lost .5 I'd be crazy!! but I say hang in there!! I'm just in awe of anyone who CAN run. and I LOL's at 'my dogs bark at the treadmill'
Old 03-17-2013, 09:30 PM   #10  
Miraculous Amus Babus ;)

Talking

Hey Vermont Mom-

I am sure it is still difficult with your loss of your father. Years later, I still miss those loved ones who I have lost.

I took a walk today and realized I am so glad I am no longer together with this guy. He has a good heart and we had some good times, but I finally can honestly say that I no longer love him and I am glad that we are apart. Time may not heal all wounds, but somehow it makes some things easier to deal with, I think. I wish him the best but I am still angry and hurt and I want a better life for myself. He meant a lot to me but I deserve to take care of myself.

Today, I got on the scale and it was just above one pound higher than where I was before, but I had just got out of the shower, so I probably had some water weight there and it was later in the day too. So, I deducted that pound in my mind and am thinking that I am pretty much maintaining, which isn't exactly what I want but at least I'm not really gaining, I don't consider that a gain.

It felt great for me to play one of my guitars today for the first time in awhile. I love to play, I just get so tired sometimes and busy that I don't. I find music so therapeutic.

Tomorrow, I see my knee doc. My right knee gives me trouble, I may have to get an injection, yikes! Well, the last one worked so maybe it's worth it.

This week is busy, I start volunteering at my local hospital on Tuesday at 8 am!

take care...
Old 03-19-2013, 12:43 PM   #11  
Gotta run!

Seabiscuit - What kind of injection do you get? Steroid? I'm glad you're ok with the break up. I've learned the hard way about toxic people and their effects. #1 is you have to take care of yourself, always. I'm not sure why I'm so tired... it could be from the running. It's still winter here, lots of snow We have been getting a decent amount of sun but not as much as we would in summer. I'm sure getting up at 5am has something to do with being tired, I've always loved my sleep. What kind of guitar do you play?

Vermont - I know exactly why I'm not losing weight, it's my eating... you can't out exercise a bad diet right? It is driving me nuts but at the same time I know it's my own damn fault. Chase is the only one who still barks at the treadmill... he's mostly border collie and highly intelligent so movement gets him excited. He knows he's not supposed to so when he sees me heading for it he usually leaves. It's just not generally appreciated in my house at a little after 5am... For the record I still do the run/walk thing but I'm getting better

I missed my run on monday and I didn't have time to do it in the evening I'm not very happy with myself but I was so tired and sore. I was bad during my last run, I ran for 25 minutes longer than I was supposed to... that might have had something to do with how I felt. I have karate tonight so at least I'll get some activity in.
Old 03-19-2013, 07:08 PM   #12  
Miraculous Amus Babus ;)

Talking

Hey Aunty Jam-

How are you doing? Good for you for working on your activity! I need to increase my activity. I have been tired due to some depression and low hemoglobin because less than a month ago I had pneumonia, but I want to get back in the game and get active. It's just so easy to stay in bed and stay lazy.

I got a cortisone injection in my right knee yesterday, it didn't hurt that much, not nearly as much as I thought it would. I had Synvisc injections before too but I had a bit of a reaction to them initially and they didn't help much. The cortisone injections help me more in my knees although I have had them in the side of my foot and they don't help there, who knows.

The breakup is still raw, I am getting over it because I have had enough time and space apart from him to distance myself from the situation and process my emotions. I am still angry at him and haven't let go of some grudges which I know are only hurting me. I thought I was ready for a new relationship but I need some "Me Time."

Today I started my volunteering at a local hospital, the one where I was the patient for pneumonia LOL and I used to volunteer there too. I help patients and staff out in the radiology department. I really enjoyed it! I will be going on Tuesdays on Thursdays.

I have three guitars, two acoustic, one hollow body electric. I don't have an amplifier so I play the hollow body electric without an amp which suits me and probably my neighbors just fine . I was taking lessons for awhile but now I am trying to muster up the $$ to afford them.

Well, it's great hearing from you Aunty Jam! Keep Jammin'
Old 03-20-2013, 08:58 PM   #13  

S/C/G: 185/183/145

Height: 5'7"

Default Feels like I'm starting over

Hi everyone! Mind if I join the March chat?

A little about myself: I recently took a new job, which means longer hours and a new plan to lose weight. Just haven't figured out the plan yet. I've been trying a few different things, and it's just not working. I feel like I'm starting over from scratch. Kinda disheartening, but it happens.

My goal is to use every piece of weight loss equipment I've purchased thus far. This includes: pull up/sit up bar, 5lb hula hoop, total trainer (one of those inclined glide-boards), and my newest addition - an elliptical. Needless to say, I got rid of my gym membership last month. I guess it's all about finding the time. I'm trying to work out right after work, but when you're pulling 10-12 hour days, the last thing I want to do is upset my downstairs neighbors with the noise of the exercise equipment.

Calorie counting worked before, but I think I need to step it up a bit now that my job's more physical. I think I'll check that out tonight.

I have other interesting aspects about myself, but they'll have to wait for next time. It's 9pm here and I'm about to pass out on the couch. Anyway, nice to meet you all! Chat again soon...
coffeeshopgirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2013, 08:06 AM   #14  
Biker Chick!

Hi coffeeshopgirl! I know I've seen your name around. OF COURSE you can join us, I'm glad you did!

You sure do have long days, it IS hard to be motivated to work out either very early or very late in the day. I hope you can find the time to do it

Seabiscuit, I guess if you had pneumonia less than a month ago, that is good reason to feel tired! and what a selfless thing to volunteer at the hospital. I don't have any advice about healing from the breakup, just that time will slowly help.

Hey Aunty Jam, you ran for 25 minutes longer than you should have, that is bad? sounds pretty good to me! unless it is damaging or something. I am clueless about running, I just admire anyone who can and does! How was karate?

HI to anyone else reading

I've had a good week!! Don't know what 'clicked' but last Thursday I had a clean eating day and have been able to continue every day since. The only refined sugar I've had was on Saturday night, a cup of ice cream.

To give an idea of how much sugar and refined crap I have been having daily, at work, at least one big cookie (they are in the 400 calorie range) AND a pastry such as an eclair, or piece of cheesecake, EVERY WORK DAY .

But today makes one week of rational behavior so when I go back to work tomorrow (my work weeks start on Friday) I'll just have to keep my success in mind.

I've also gone ga-ga over a site I've found, www.fitnessblender.com that I love the variety of workouts they offer, and have been psyched at doing new stuff. I had been doing my Gilad Step and Tone and the Annie Mair's Cardio Force ad nauseum, they still made me sweat but my muscles were just doing the same ol same ol'.

And today I am taking our bathroom scales out to the garage It just is too frustrating to 'feel lighter' and step on the scale and see it UP 3 pounds or something. I am just going to continue to eat well, eat less, and do cardio/strength almost every day.
Old 03-21-2013, 09:07 PM   #15  

S/C/G: 185/183/145

Height: 5'7"

VT Mom - Good job cutting out the refined sugars! I'm the same way: If I can keep a clean diet for a week, it all seems to click and the weight loss happens. Good for you - keep it up!

Seabiscuit - Hospital volunteering and guitar lessons - how fun! I'm sure the volunteering is very rewarding for you. I used to coach Special Olympics - so glad I did

Aunty Jam - I envy you for the running program How long have you been doing karate?

As for me, I'm talking with the husband about planning out easy-to-warm-up dinners. We plan out breakfasts and lunches for the week, but the dinners have been lacking, especially since we're both getting home later. I'm thinking next week we will make some turkey burgers, burritos, and chicken dinners. I have a bunch of tupperware, and we just need to get back into the habit of prepping dinners, rather than getting pizza and Chinese food like we did this week. They were both delicious and filling, but I feel like crap afterwards.

I am getting used to the longer hours, and somehow I'm finding some energy when I get home. The husband's in law school right now, and with my longer hours, we're trying really hard not to grow apart. So, when I fall asleep on the couch at 8:30, I feel bad the next day. Anyhoo, finding some energy - yay!

Is everyone ready for the weekend?

Last edited by coffeeshopgirl; 03-21-2013 at 09:16 PM.
coffeeshopgirl is offline   Reply With Quote