Introductions Introduce yourselves and make new friends!

Old 03-14-2013, 12:24 PM   #1  

Default best diet for dummies?

I am 55 years old and had gastric bypass surgery 10 years ago. I need to lose 90 lbs. Which is the easiest diet to get started on? I need something with filling foods to help me stave off hunger and emotional eating.
susand55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2013, 12:34 PM   #2  
I can do this

S/C/G: 230/222/175

Height: 5'2"

I don't think there's a universal "best" diet, because people have different criteria.
  • Are you someone who does best with a set list of what you eat each day, or would you rebel against that and do better when a more flexible plan?
  • Are you someone who wants to purchase and prepare your own foods, or would you do better with a plan where you purchased pre-made items?
  • Are you someone who can cut out a 'class of foods'? (Meat, dairy, carbs)
  • Are you someone who has cravings and appetite triggered by carbs?
  • How often do you need what kind of treats in order to not feel deprived?
One doesn't usually gain weight by eating foods close to their natural state--vegetables, fruits, lean proteins. I didn't get this heavy eating celery sticks and oranges.

I'm calorie counting while following the Beck Diet Solution concepts. That's working for me right now. A close friend is restricting carbs--that's working for her. There isn't a plan around that isn't working for some people. The question is which type of plan fits best with your personality and lifestyle?
bethFromDayton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2013, 12:58 PM   #3  
Claim it ,Achieve it!

S/C/G: 212/104.2/120

Height: 5'2"

Susand55

I agree with Beth - you have to decide what works best for you!

You can lose weight if you expend more calories than you ingest Like John is famous for saying and explains much better than I ever could!

Determining what you are willing to do or forgo to reach your desired goals.

We are all different just likes Trees but they can all give us Shade and provide us with beauty.... I love a Red Maple ,Dogwood,Bradford Pear and Redbuds,
But where I would like to plant them could be problematic.

That is the same way I had to look at choosing a course of action to lose weight too!
We. All Have Different Preferences.... What was my initial 1st choice my family discouraged me from it...and I am so grateful..I thought about what would work for me and have the least risk and give me the Best results for me!
Once I started and committed to the program ...I was on my way.

You need to figure out what the best fit for you is..and then work the program.

It really is very simple ....just work the plan and be honest with yourself.
Once your head buys into it your body will follow.

Good Luck ,there are so my diets or plans to choose from!
Roo2
Roo2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2013, 02:56 PM   #4  

It's my understanding that the best diet is no diet at all. Eat healthfully, and the weight will come off. Practice moderation, not deprivation, and the lifestyle change should be very accommodating. Obviously I've struggled with that, but I do still think it's the best way to go about it!
thinkfit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2013, 03:32 PM   #5  

S/C/G: 169/159/135

Height: 5' 0''

I would agree with what others have written, the best program for you, is a personal choice.

I would suggest you read through the forums, see what plans others have used and figure out which one you could see yourself doing.

Good luck.
irish51 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2013, 07:41 PM   #6  
Weight Shedder

S/C/G: Big/not as big/165

Height: 5'7 1/2"

Welcome! Definitely browse the forum for which program would work best for you.
amilli79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2013, 07:48 PM   #7  
Empress/Queen

Agree with most of the posts, what is best is a matter of personal choice.

Wishing you (OP) much success.
Amarantha2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2013, 11:49 AM   #8  
NeNe

S/C/G: 200/187/165

Height: 5'6"

Welcome! Glad to have you join us. To find the plan that worked best for me was deciding which foods I could live without. I can't count calories or do Weight Watchers as I concentrate too much on food, for example, planning my meals, journaling what I ate, etc. I can live without breads, pasta, potatoes, rice and sweets, so I cut out most carbs and that made it easy for me. However, my neighbor cannot cut out carbs so she eats just a sensible healthy diet and is learning to weigh and measure everything. It is a personal thing. I will suggest you find some type of exercise that you ENJOY. I say this because I find if I don't enjoy doing it, I won't do it very long. Also drink water. I find that is the key to my success.
firegirl441 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2013, 02:41 PM   #9  
I'm bringing sexy back!

S/C/G: 242/234.5/167

Height: 5'5"

Welcome and good luck on your journey!!

Maybe look into calorie counting?
Mozzy is offline   Reply With Quote