General Diet Plans and Questions General diet questions, support for various diet plans other than those listed below.

Old 03-10-2013, 12:55 AM   #1  

S/C/G: 295/285/165

Height: 5'6

Question Night time snack.....

I know the rule of thumb is to not eat 3 hours before going to bed, but I have a bad habit of craving a bedtime snack, I try to keep it healthy even doing a bedtime tea and a few fig newtons, but deep down I know this is bad thing for me to do when I'm working so hard the whole day to eat right.

It's gotten to the point where if I don't snack on somthing before I go to bed I have a hard time going to sleep, because I'm thinking about it.

HELP!!!

Am I damning myself if I keep the snack under 120 calories?
PhattyHipChix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2013, 12:58 AM   #2  

S/C/G: sig

Height: 5'10"

Even though my ticker says I'm new to dieting and weight loss, I've successfully lost weight before then gained it back...and...I personally never gave up my bedtime snack. I just would have like...an apple or something maybe an hour or 2 before bed. It never hindered my weight loss, so long as I had enough calories for it that day.
Sunday115 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2013, 01:04 AM   #3  

Post Night time snack

Totally understand about the night time snack. I find that a small snack before bed keeps me from binge eating.
m a r i a 6 4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2013, 01:12 AM   #4  

Glad to know I'm not the only one who craves a snack before I hit the pillow for the night. I totally agree it helps with the binge eating, I love food way to much to deprive myself of a little snack at the end of the day as long as it's a healthy low calorie snack.

Thanks for making me feel better about it guys. =-)
Old 03-12-2013, 07:58 AM   #5  

S/C/G: 215/188/150

Height: 5'4"

I'm with you on the nighttime snack. A few almonds do the trick for me, and one piece of dark chocolate. Also, I take gummy vitamins and I've gotten into the habit of taking them in the evening as my nighttime snack.
Palestrina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2013, 09:53 AM   #6  
L J

S/C/G: 159/138/135 (HW 200)

Height: 5'4"

I crave a night time snack, too. I work out at night most of the time and I'm starving afterwards. We eat dinner around 6, I work out from 10-11 and I figure having a low calorie nutrient dense snack after that is okay. Lately it's been 1/4c Greek yogurt sprinkled with cinnamon with an apple. It's right at 100 calories, because I buy small apples.
L J is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2013, 10:04 AM   #7  
F - Yeah, I'm doing this.

S/C/G: 297/*Ticker*/175

I have a snack before bed most nights. Yogurt and a couple of tsps of Chia seeds mixed in (~ 80 Cals). I find it keeps me from having a grumbly tummy all night, also, helps get things moving in the morning!
Silverfire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2013, 10:06 AM   #8  

S/C/G: BF% 37.6/see sig/BF20%

Height: 5' 9"

I usually have a time-released (8 hr) slow digesting protein shake (200cal) at about 9ish, bedtime at 1030ish. Since I'm 'fasting' for 8 hours - I want to make sure my body has food and doesn't turn to eating my muscles for midnight snacks. I sleep better, too, without a growling tummy waking me up!
2FatCats is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2013, 10:59 AM   #9  

I have never bought into the idea that "when" you eat is just as important as "what" or "how much" you eat. I know that might go against the idea of IF and if that's working for some people, so be it.

So I absolutely see no problem with eating a snack right before bed. If you're on a particular program (calorie counting, WW, low-carb, whatever) I think as long as it fits in with that, there's absolutely no harm in it.

For me, I'd eat one if I was hungry before bed. Hunger now determines when (as well as how much) I eat, nothing else. But that's me. I wouldn't eat one

* because I was afraid of GETTING hungry - if that happens, and the hunger wakes me up, then I'd get up and eat something

* just because I have enough calories/points/whatever left for the day - if I wasn't hungry, I wouldn't eat it

* out of habit

But again, these are the things that work for me.

Everyone's different!
SouthernMaven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2013, 02:33 PM   #10  

Quote:
Originally Posted by Silverfire View Post
I have a snack before bed most nights. Yogurt and a couple of tsps of Chia seeds mixed in (~ 80 Cals). I find it keeps me from having a grumbly tummy all night, also, helps get things moving in the morning!
I have been adding Chia seeds and Hemp seeds to my Flax seed smoothie in the morning the smoothie hits about 475 calories and I have noticed when lunch rolls around I'm still not hungry, and allows me to eat a low calorie lunch about 300 cals and a late afternoon snack about 150 cals.

All 3 of the seeds are great for your health and can help cruve appetite.
Old 03-12-2013, 02:45 PM   #11  
F - Yeah, I'm doing this.

S/C/G: 297/*Ticker*/175

Quote:
Originally Posted by PhattyHipChix View Post
I have been adding Chia seeds and Hemp seeds to my Flax seed smoothie in the morning the smoothie hits about 475 calories and I have noticed when lunch rolls around I'm still not hungry, and allows me to eat a low calorie lunch about 300 cals and a late afternoon snack about 150 cals.

All 3 of the seeds are great for your health and can help cruve appetite.
Agreed! I have chia seeds, with hemp hearts, buckwheat, and dried cranberries for breakfast (It's a home made version of Holy Crap cereal, I can't say enough good things about this stuff. Just awesome) Its a great combo and 2 tbsp with yogurt keeps me pretty full till lunch!
Silverfire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2013, 02:56 PM   #12  

Quote:
Originally Posted by Silverfire View Post
Agreed! I have chia seeds, with hemp hearts, buckwheat, and dried cranberries for breakfast (It's a home made version of Holy Crap cereal, I can't say enough good things about this stuff. Just awesome) Its a great combo and 2 tbsp with yogurt keeps me pretty full till lunch!
Sounds yummy, I'm going to have to give that a try. Sounds like a great breakfast or lunch when I want to keep lunch lite.