Weight Loss Surgery If you've had it, or are considering it, share your discussions here

Old 03-11-2013, 03:46 PM   #1  

S/C/G: 271/256.6/170

Height: 5'9

Default VSG/ Sleeve

Hello, I am new here. Well, I joined a while back but haven't been to the site much and made like 1 post. Well, I'm back and hopefully for alot longer this time around.

Anyways, I have been doing some research on the Laparoscopic Sleeve Surgury and even though I have read alot here about how much people are so glad they had this surgery, I was wondering if anyone has had any bad experiences with it or know someone who has?

I contacted my insurance company and found out it will completely cover this procedure for me and I've also called a local hospital in my state which offers the surgury along with a program that is mandatory before having it actually done. I've started the process for taking part in this. I'm sure I'll hear alot about risks and downfalls to this surgery along with alot more information however I'm looking for more information from people who have experienced this first hand. Any other advice is also greatly appreciated! Thank you in advance!!!
WatchMommyShrink is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2013, 05:57 PM   #2  

S/C/G: 282

Height: 168cm

I would rather not know the bad experiences LOL.

My Dr (In Australia) said he's performed over 400 surgeries, and the biggest complication he has had as a direct result of the surgery is a small leak that required a second surgery (this is for the sleeve). He has never experienced a death, or nor does he know any other Dr who has experienced a death. I hope that helps
Shyne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2013, 09:53 AM   #3  
Old Cackler

shrinking mom - I haven't heard about any, but it's still fairly new. Asking your surgeon about the complications that he's seen will be very helpful. Shyne's surgeon's record of only 1 complication out of 400 is fabulous!

the big Q to ask is about any long-term things that could happen. And YES SHYNE, you DO need to know about them - just so you can be prepared in case.

HAve either of you checked out the ASMBS's website? www.asmbs.org it's the professional society for bariatric surgeons and they have lots of information there.
jiffypop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2013, 12:11 PM   #4  
VSG'er 01/08/13

S/C/G: 339.95/220/190

Height: 5'10"

Well... hmmm... Now I am torn.

To answer the original question:

Yes. I do know of at least 1 person who has had major complications, and a handful of people with minor complications after getting their VSG.

HOWEVER... Every one of the major complication or minor complication people all agree they would have made the choice to have surgery even knowing what they faced.

I should also note I am fortunate to have connected with well over 100 VSGers, and be on the OH VSG, and Ontario forums with plenty more VSGers.

I have 2 links I can share which have the realities of ALL of the surgeries. The good, the bad, and the ugly... Band, RNY, DS, and VSG. They are NOT for those who want to avoid the reading but they are handy so you know what to look for and what you are really looking at.

Please read ONLY if you wish to:

This isn't a chart... this is a PDF with all the potential complications they typically see: https://louisville.edu/medschool/gim...%20surgery.pdf This I find useful because I needed to know which vitamins to be careful with, what were warning signs of larger risk issues, etc. For me it put me at ease to know what it could be, and what to look for.

http://www.surgicalweightlosssolutio...comparison.pdf is the chart I typically send to people... THIS is a good one. This helped me understand that VSG would work best for me (along with other information).
Cuter w Curves is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2013, 01:08 PM   #5  

S/C/G: 271/256.6/170

Height: 5'9

Thank you Cuter. I appreciate the links and will definitally check them out.

Ikinda agree and disagree with Shyne about getting the facts. Knowing the facts are definitally important to know because preparing for the worst and knowing the symptoms of a potential infection, etc. could in fact save your life. But not knowing them could also help you if you are a huge worrier. I can see how some would definitally opt out of this surgury just because of the potential risks even if the success of the surgury was even greater than the risks.

Thank you guys for your opinions!!!!
WatchMommyShrink is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2013, 05:26 PM   #6  
Releasing the inner hiker

I don't frequent VSG forums, so I don't know much about potential complications. My surgeon did state that the VSG isn't the best option for those that suffer from GERD (acid reflux), as it can make the problem worse.

Cuter, that is an interesting comparison chart, however, it does contain an error. It states that RNY patients must always avoid sugar/fat to avoid dumping. In actuality, only about 30% of people dump, so the average RNY patient will not dump on sugar or fat. For example, I do not, although I was hopeful I would to allow it to be a deterrent. Go figure.
Zeitgeist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2013, 12:24 AM   #7  
Old Cackler

and we don't have to AVOID sugar and fat - we just have to LIMIT it. but who doesn't? well, except for DS folks.
Old 03-15-2013, 07:09 PM   #8  
VSG'er 01/08/13

*grin*

I ignore the "must avoid" stuff... Because that is individual. It was more the... Complication comparison, and EWL timelines that helped me.

Though on the note of avoiding sugar... That may actually be more true then not. Not by way of dumping but by way of how many end up with RH, etc. post RNY.

Through our clinic the literature is geared toward RNYer and VSGers are to follow the same program. We are told to "avoid" fat and sugar also but it is clarified as to what that means.

Attempting to keep sugar to 10g or less in a food. Attempting to go with lower fat foods i.e. cheese and it's M.F. content we are to aim for 20% Milk Fat or less.

Myself... Meh... I need a certain amount of fat in my diet or all systems... stop.
Old 03-16-2013, 12:24 PM   #9  

S/C/G: 325/192/125

Height: 5'-3"

Mommy, There are several good sites to get information and talk to a lot of people. The two I used most before surgery were : verticalsleevetalk.com and obesityhelp.com. I read up on everything I could find. I followed people's blogs online and posts on utube to see how they felt and how they dealt with life after surgery. Good luck on making a big decision. For me it was the best thing I have done for myself and wish I had done it years ago.
Phranquie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2013, 02:36 PM   #10  
Old Cackler

cuter - i have the same attitude. if it's a choice between getting protein and eating a higher fat cheese, the protein will ALWAYS win. and sugar? yeah. small amounts. a little ice cream [i'm the only person i know who can get 4+ servings out of a pint of ice cream!]
Old 03-17-2013, 04:01 PM   #11  
VSG'er 01/08/13

jiffypop I actually am in love with my lemon gelato. I have a small serving every now and again... been working on my 2l ice cream for about 6 weeks and have a half a container left. LOL!

That said a pint container usually lasted me 4-6 times through as a pre-op. I am a "little goes a long way" kind of girl with it. *shrug*

My weakness was and is meat and cheese. Good thing they are on my "allowed" lists but I am careful with them because the fillers that make them lower fat are sometimes what I am allergic to so... I make choices and simply adjust for those.
Old 03-18-2013, 12:31 PM   #12  
Old Cackler

sounds like you have a good plan, cuter. i think that there's more protein in the so-called higher fat meats than in the lower fat ones. That's something to think about. as long as you can tolerate a slightly higher fat content, especially with the smaller amounts you can eat, and you have to be careful because of food allergies - seems to me that 'purer' might be better for you.

just tossing the thought out there. no matter what, you have to do what works for you and keeps you healthy