Old 03-09-2013, 02:23 AM   #1  

S/C/G: 345/255/175

Height: 5'10

Default Exercising

Is anyone else exercising during third week of phase 1?
Alaskagirl92128 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2013, 09:43 AM   #2  

S/C/G: 212/185/140

Height: 5'4

I have been working out since before IP. And I have been fine.. I haven't gone to the gym in a couple weeks. just been too busy. But I have been fine the whole time. In fact I feel gross because I haven't been going. I actually feel heavier even though I'm not. Everyone on here say you really shouldn't. Depends on the intensity. I say, physical activity doesn't hurt anyone. Just stick with cardio and light weights. Even walking a few times a week... you will notice a mass amount of energy. And you WILL feel good. I wouldn't be doing any strength training. And the days you are working out make sure you get an extra packet in. I drink a protein shake directly after my workout.
lcheech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2013, 09:56 AM   #3  

S/C/G: 171.4/160.9/145

Height: 5"6"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alaskagirl92128 View Post
I started IP after I had registered for 2 half marathons so there was no way I could stop exercising. My coach said that he ran a half on Phase 1 so I figured I could too! However, I didn't have enough energy to run more than 3 miles (and that was hard too) so I switched to the Alternative Phase 1 this week. I feel great & have a lot more energy!
I love IP, but I also need to exercise ~ it makes my head happy
lovetorun3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2013, 10:35 AM   #4  

S/C/G: 211/159/140

Height: 5'4"

The first three weeks I could not exercise. You deplete your glycogen stores and your body needs about three weeks to be able to use ketones properly. I now do 30 min cardio 2x and strength training 4x a week. There is a book out by Phinney and Volek about low carbohydrate performance. It will give some ideas. I think they recommend to not eat certain amino acids and carbs after exercise if you want weight loss, to do cardio only up to 65% of your maximal heart rate etc. Their idea is that low carb eating enhances performance in certain sports, e.g long distance running.
Lolo70 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2013, 11:59 PM   #5  

I hear Pilates and yoga are recommended.
beepure is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2013, 03:41 AM   #6  
Fresh start

Height: 5'8"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alaskagirl92128 View Post
The program is designed to avoid exercise in phase 1.
Have you asked your coach?
foreveryoung is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2013, 12:11 AM   #7  
Started IP March 2013

S/C/G: 176/163/140

Height: 5'5"

Quote:
Originally Posted by lovetorun3 View Post
I started IP after I had registered for 2 half marathons so there was no way I could stop exercising. My coach said that he ran a half on Phase 1 so I figured I could too! However, I didn't have enough energy to run more than 3 miles (and that was hard too) so I switched to the Alternative Phase 1 this week. I feel great & have a lot more energy!
I love IP, but I also need to exercise ~ it makes my head happy
I want so badly to be able to still do my half marathon that I was planning for in April but I am on Day 6, tried to exercise and felt LIKE CRAP. How do you do it? Do you lose weight as quickly on the Alternative Phase 1? Tell me more .
fitandfabfrog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2013, 01:31 AM   #8  
IP start date 2/4/13

Height: 5'10"

I am doing Winsor Pilates and it's really helping me to lose inches and tighten up. My hubby traveled for 4 days for work and came back and noticed a difference.
SFNinerGirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2013, 07:44 AM   #9  

Quote:
Originally Posted by fitandfabfrog View Post
I want so badly to be able to still do my half marathon that I was planning for in April but I am on Day 6, tried to exercise and felt LIKE CRAP. How do you do it? Do you lose weight as quickly on the Alternative Phase 1? Tell me more .
The alternate plan includes more carbs. Weight loss will be slower but you will feel better while exercising. If the exercise is most important, talk to your coach about switching. If the quick weight loss is most important, the Half marathon will need to wait. It is a choice only you can make.
lisa32989 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2013, 08:14 AM   #10  

S/C/G: 171.4/160.9/145

Height: 5"6"

Quote:
Originally Posted by fitandfabfrog View Post
Hang in there! You will definitely have more energy after the second or third week when your body is utilizing fat more efficiently. However, it wasn't enough energy for me to run more than 3 miles. I only ran twice during my first 3 weeks & had lousy weight loss the weeks that I did run.

I weigh in today & I have a feeling I have gained since switching to the Alternative Phase I Plan last week but at least I have more energy to actually run. I'll keep you posted!
lovetorun3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2013, 08:28 AM   #11  

I just bought a fairly new book called "The Art and Science of Low Carb Performance". It might help you figure out a way to continue on a VLC (very low carb) plan AND lose weight. These doctors have recent research they have presented in a different book targeted for professionals but this one is for athletes. The Kindle version is very inexpensive.

Last edited by lisa32989; 03-12-2013 at 08:39 AM.
Old 03-12-2013, 08:33 AM   #12  

S/C/G: 219/Start IP at 206/172/135

Height: 5 feet 3 inches

It was very hard to exercice first 4 weeks. After consulting with coach and trainer, we upped to 4 packs on days of training and lowered intensity. Weight loss is slow, avering 2 lbs per week. On weeks I have no weight loss, I lose inches. That got me down at first, but after talking to my trainer, we agreed it was better in the long run to lose inches and build muscle than have rapid weight loss. This helps me when I get down on the lower weight loss.

I have worked so hard for two years prior to IP trying to get well, it was very important to me not to regress. Also, my trainer has an enormous waiting list of people wanting to train with him and I do not want to lose my ideal times with him. I do see amazing results in my body even though the weight is slower than the average people. I know I am in this for the long haul. Now that I am in my 8th week, the zero loss does not bother me as it did in the beginning. I have still lost more in 8 weeks than I did in 1 year and half, so I am still way ahead of the game.
ginettepv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2013, 08:38 AM   #13  

S/C/G: 150/123.4/115

Height: 5'2

Thanks for pointing out the book by Phinney Volek, just ordered it.
sonyainva is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2013, 08:38 AM   #14  

Quote:
Originally Posted by ginettepv View Post
It was very hard to exercice first 4 weeks. After consulting with coach and trainer, we upped to 4 packs on days of training and lowered intensity. Weight loss is slow, avering 2 lbs per week. On weeks I have no weight loss, I lose inches. That got me down at first, but after talking to my trainer, we agreed it was better in the long run to lose inches and build muscle than have rapid weight loss. This helps me when I get down on the lower weight loss.

I have worked so hard for two years prior to IP trying to get well, it was very important to me not to regress. Also, my trainer has an enormous waiting list of people wanting to train with him and I do not want to lose my ideal times with him. I do see amazing results in my body even though the weight is slower than the average people. I know I am in this for the long haul. Now that I am in my 8th week, the zero loss does not bother me as it did in the beginning. I have still lost more in 8 weeks than I did in 1 year and half, so I am still way ahead of the game.
2/week is NOT slow!
If there are inches lost but no scale movement, there was still fat lost
Start looking at fat loss vs weight loss!
This isn't a race. The first person to goal wins nothing except learning how to maintain.
You're doing great!
Old 03-12-2013, 09:51 AM   #15  
Started IP March 2013

S/C/G: 176/163/140

Height: 5'5"

Quote:
Originally Posted by lisa32989 View Post
The alternate plan includes more carbs. Weight loss will be slower but you will feel better while exercising. If the exercise is most important, talk to your coach about switching. If the quick weight loss is most important, the Half marathon will need to wait. It is a choice only you can make.

Thank you! I am having a difficult time making this choice...but the choice does need to be made.
fitandfabfrog is offline   Reply With Quote