General Diet Plans and Questions General diet questions, support for various diet plans other than those listed below.

Old 03-11-2013, 06:19 AM   #1  

S/C/G: 277.8/250.8/175

Height: 5' 6.5"

Default Quick question about walking a weight gain

Before I begin let me say that I understand that, while exercising, you build muscle that weights more than fat. BUT I have just started walking (4 days, an hour a day) so that isn't it.

Now, my question. Is it common to gain weight when you first start walking/exercising? Me, all 3 of my sisters and our mom started walking last week. We all gained 2.5-3 lbs, while staying OP. I know my hands have been swollen too! They get swollen, bad, while I walk but they just haven't come down much at all, even hours after we are finished. I haven't been able to get my wedding set off since we started!

Someone told me that when you first start walking/exercising that your body retains water for some process about the muscles (sorry, I nodded...a bit....while she was explaining it). She then said it would come of in a couple of weeks or so.

So, have any of you all had any issues with this?
jillbean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2013, 06:42 AM   #2  
Unstoppable Force

S/C/G: 225/ticker/137

Height: 5'6"

Muscle does not weigh more than fat. A pound is a pound is a pound. Muscle is, however, denser than fat. So if you are building muscle at the same rate that you are losing fat, you are basically just exchanging one for the other. You won't notice a loss on the scale from the lost fat, but you will notice a decrease in inches because muscle takes up less space than fat.

When you exercise, you create microscopic tears in your muscles. To heal these tears, you body floods the muscles with blood to provide the nutrients needed and to clear away lactic acid. This causes the muscles to became inflamed, which can reflect in a higher weight on the scale. When these tears are healed, your body rebuilds them stronger than before.

I'm not sure about your swollen hands, though. That seems a bit odd. Maybe it has to do with dehydration or lost electrolytes or something?
Novus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2013, 08:00 AM   #3  

S/C/G: 215/188/150

Height: 5'4"

I've experienced swelling of the hands after exercise before, especially when I'm out of shape. It's pretty common and nothing to worry about. I feel it more when I'm walking or running because my hands stay down. First you should take off rings and watches before you start exercising. Then while you're walking try to pump your arms up over your head, squeezing your fists once in a while. It might look a little strange but it will get that blood flowing away from your extremities again.

Not sure why it's not calming down though, you may want to ask your doctor if it doesn't go away within an hour after exercise. Make sure your concentrate stretching your hands over your head as part of your cool down, that always helps me.
Palestrina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2013, 08:21 AM   #4  
LRH

S/C/G: 152/132/127

Height: 5'5"

I think the swelling in the hands during walking or running is to be expected as Wannabeskinny said, but it should go away. How much water are you drinking a day? How is your sodium intake? Do you eat processed foods?
LRH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2013, 11:03 AM   #5  

Not sure why the following quote didn't work!

Muscle does not weigh more than fat. A pound is a pound is a pound. Muscle is, however, denser than fat. So if you are building muscle at the same rate that you are losing fat, you are basically just exchanging one for the other. You won't notice a loss on the scale from the lost fat, but you will notice a decrease in inches because muscle takes up less space than fat.

I understand a pound is a pound. Everyone that I have asked has said not to worry that I have lost inches and built muscle, so it doesn't matter. I haven't been at it long enough for that to be the case. I didn't word that right. Sorry, I didn't get much sleep last night! I know a pound of fat weighs the same as a pound of muscle but a muscular body weighs more than a fat body of the same size. People where basically saying not to even think about it because I am building muscle and therefore it doesn't matter if the scale doesn't go down because I am getting smaller. I am concerned because it is going up. I did kinda run that in. I think I would have read it the same way.

Last edited by jillbean; 03-11-2013 at 11:07 AM.
Old 03-11-2013, 11:06 AM   #6  

Oh, and as far as my food. I am eating the same as I did for the first 4 weeks on the plan without these problems. I cook at home and can monitor that MUCH easier than some can. But, this started AS SOON as I started walking. And I drink about 2 quarts of water a day.
Old 03-11-2013, 01:10 PM   #7  
Katrina

S/C/G: 162/see ticker/130

Height: 5'6

Anytime I start exercising after taking a long break, I am always a few pounds heavier for the next few days. It always goes away though.
Candeka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2013, 01:58 PM   #8  
Unstoppable Force

Quote:
Originally Posted by jillbean View Post
I know a pound of fat weighs the same as a pound of muscle but a muscular body weighs more than a fat body of the same size.
I think what you mean is that if two people both weigh 175 pounds, the person who is more muscular will appear to be thinner than than the person who is less muscular because muscle takes up less space. Same weight, different perception. Correct?

Last edited by Novus; 03-11-2013 at 01:59 PM.
Old 03-12-2013, 06:12 AM   #9  

Novus, with all due respect, can you stop trying to correct everything I say. I wanted to know about the weight gain not be constantly corrected by someone who can't understand what I'm saying.
Old 03-12-2013, 06:22 AM   #10  

S/C/G: 180

Height: 5'11"

Hi jillbean,

Do you mind if I ask you some questions so we can establish what's going on?

Over what timeframe has the weight gain occurred? There should be no reason why starting walking should lead to weight gain. Have you been doing any other forms of exercise?

Diet wise, how many calories are you consuming each day? In my experience, it's very common to underestimate calorie consumption.
smclen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2013, 06:38 AM   #11  

I think Novus was just trying to clarify your points so we could just try to help with your questions and then the follow up.

When I work out, even now after getting into a good routine after 7 months into my weightloss routine, I get so hot and swollen working out. My face, my hands, my thighs, everything it seems, get hot, red and swollen. It's not as bad as when I first started but I couldn't pretend I wasn't just working out if someone rang the doorbell or whatever.

I do check my scale everyday as I am OCD like that but it doesn't really mean anything, esp. if I had a hard workout the day before and I am sore waking up. The scale might be up a pound or 2 but it's not real weight gain if that makes any sense. I'd have to eat 7,000 calories over my daily allotment for that to happen and it probably wouldn't happen overnight.

Counting your calories and exercising is sure to pay off, just keep doing what you are doing and you will see the results very soon. Guaranteed!
elvislover324 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2013, 03:51 PM   #12  
Unstoppable Force

Quote:
Originally Posted by elvislover324 View Post
I think Novus was just trying to clarify your points so we could just try to help with your questions and then the follow up.
^This.
Old 03-15-2013, 04:06 PM   #13  

Quote:
Originally Posted by smclen View Post
Hi jillbean,

Do you mind if I ask you some questions so we can establish what's going on?

Over what timeframe has the weight gain occurred? There should be no reason why starting walking should lead to weight gain. Have you been doing any other forms of exercise?

Diet wise, how many calories are you consuming each day? In my experience, it's very common to underestimate calorie consumption.

I started walking and the next day I was up on the scales. I went up and down and up and down and up and down for the next 2 weeks. I have FINALLY started losing just a bit (as in yesterday). The thing is, I was losing weight until I started walking and then NOTHING but the up and down! But it As for the diet, I don't count calories. I am following weight watchers and, therefore, I count points. I followed the plan just the same after I started walking so I don't think that's what it is.
For the first week that I walked I only walked. The second week I added some cardio and some resistance band exercises.
Old 03-15-2013, 06:28 PM   #14  

S/C/G: 270/ticker/160

Height: 5'7"

My hands swell when I walk if I hold them by my side like when I normally walk. For me, it's blood "pooling" in my hands. If I raise them over my head for a while while walking, it helps reduce the swelling. It can take time for the swelling to completely go away---a few hours to overnight.

As for the weight fluxuation, unfortunately weight loss isn't linear and we can't always figure our bodies out. Some may be water retention, too. If you keep working at it, the weight will come off.

I know it can be discouraging, but try not to let it get to you.
jenjen is offline   Reply With Quote