Weight and Resistance Training Boost weight loss, and look great!

Old 03-03-2013, 09:47 PM   #1  
Hi, I'm Lauren! :)

S/C/G: SW:209 / CW:184/ GW:~160

Height: 5'4

Default New Rules of Lifting..

I've been thinking about trying something like NROWL because my own attempts at weight lifting, I feel, haven't been all that successful. I never know when it's a good time to move up the weight, and I always feel like I just end up doing the same exercises over and over and over and never get anywhere because I don't know what I'm doing, lol. I need a more structured plan for that.

I was wondering if it would be better to go for a plan like this after I'm in maintenance mode? I thought it might be a good starting point for a maintenance workout plan that'll firm up the areas that are still giving me problems without actually losing WEIGHT. What do y'all think?

Last edited by mimsyborogoves; 03-03-2013 at 09:47 PM.
mimsyborogoves is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2013, 09:31 AM   #2  
Just Me

S/C/G: 364/--/182

Height: 5'6"

I think the best time to start is now. You can certainly lose weight while you are doing it.
nelie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2013, 12:47 PM   #3  

Even by following his rules? Cause I'm reading the preview-pages of New Rules for Women, and he's advising against calorie restricting, and I'm a calorie counter and I restrict my calories in order to lose weight, lol. I don't want to maintain my weight now.... it's confusing, lol.
Old 03-04-2013, 01:38 PM   #4  

I guess a better way to word the question is, will you lose weight if you follow HIS diet plan?
Old 03-08-2013, 04:38 AM   #5  
Better Posture

S/C/G: 145/125/glutes

Height: 5'6.5''

Hi! I've done the NRLFW and just followed the training part. It's good because it will give you a good structure to your training. For the eating part I've done my normal eating pattern but I've tried to increase my protein (a general recommendation is 1 g of protein per your weight in pounds) and I try to eat more on training days (I add carbs after my workout) and less on rest or recovery days.
carpediem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2013, 05:39 AM   #6  
Just Me

S/C/G: 364/--/182

Height: 5'6"

Oh I'm not following the eating plan, I'd say do what you are doing but realize you might have to up your calories.
nelie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2013, 11:08 AM   #7  

S/C/G: 188/188/100

Height: 4'11"

I have done a similar weight lifting plan and did not change my eating habits and lost a whole lot of inches (went from a size 14 to a size 8 in six months) and lost a few lbs. In terms of calories, you can just add on the 200 cal for the protein shake when you are weight lifting to compensate for the workout. There can be a small calorie deficit (if my understanding is correct) but not a drastic one because your body will just "eat" the muscles that you are trying to build.

More muscle=higher metabolism. higher metabolism=easier weight loss.

For increasing weight, experimentation is allowed. Once you get used to it, you can tell if it's too easy for you to do the movements with the weight. But if you are unsure, add on a small increment (ex. 5lbs on a weight machine or 2lbs in dumbbells) and try the exercise performing the same proper form. It should be challenging, but not impossible. For the NROWL, they have it so you gradually decrease reps over time, which theoretically makes you increase weight. The less reps needed equals more weight you can perform. For example, I can press 50lbs in 15 reps in proper form, but I can do 70lbs in 6 reps in proper form.

I also feel for you about his plan, doing the same things over and over. Since I had the previous experience working with a personal trainer, I know how to scramble things up and make it personal to me, since not everyone is the same. I divided workout days into core muscle group days (leg day, back day, chest day, etc.) and it keeps things interesting. Also mixing up the cardio makes things interesting as well.

So yeah (TL;DR)
-Up calories to feed growing muscles (200cal protein shake)
-Muscle training increases metabolism, which promotes weight loss (mostly evident in inches rather than lbs)
-Experiment to increase weight, but keep proper form
-Feel free to deviate a little from the plan to keep things interesting for you
tiawyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2013, 08:44 PM   #8  

Height: 5'2"

I used to strictly eat 1200 calories in a day and stress about going over. I recently upped to 1600-1800 and nothing catastrophic happened. I realize that in order to build muscle you have to feed your body! I used to weight several times daily but now i'm just more concerned with the measuring tape and body fat %.

Some reading:

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/s...oad-map-3-2013

I'm only 5 workouts into new rules of lifting, and all I can say is that I'm enjoying the feeling of strength. I'm also enjoying getting off the hamster wheels on the second floor. However, to each their own! Good luck
valalltogether is offline   Reply With Quote