Old 12-02-2012, 08:30 PM   #1  
MaryGee

Default 1972 Atkins

Someone mentioned the 1972 Atkins diet plan -- that's the one I was on many years ago - it seemed to be very simple -- looking up carb count of foods and keeping your daily total below a certain number. There were no "phases" and nothing called "net carbs"

My memory fails me though in some respects. Does anyone recall the total number of carbs you were supposed to limit yourself to? Was there anything else besides keeping your numbers low? I know there are numerous sites I can go to for tracking the carbs - but was there anything else to keep track of, etc????

I'd like to do the 1972 plan -- any info would be appreciated. Any other site where I might get info on it?

Thanks for any help you can give me.

Mary
forreal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2012, 11:11 PM   #2  

S/C/G: 354/342/250(for now)

Height: 5'3"

Just a thought, but maybe a used book store might have one of the earlier editions of the book.
CanadianCutie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2012, 10:43 AM   #3  
Larry's Angel

Location: NW New Jersey But, My Heart's In Pittsburgh!! GO STEELERS & PENGUINS!!!

S/C/G: 245/143/145

Mary,
Atkins 72 Level 1 is pretty much 0 carbs and no counting calories. You eat only certain foods at the different levels of the plan. Level 1 consists of meat, fish, poultry, eggs, cheese, 2 small green a day made with less than 1 cup of loosely packed lettuce. The 2nd week on the plan you would add a few grams of carbs and every week thereafter approximately 5 grams of carbs until you reach your personal carb threshold.
I would urge you to get the book ( I was able to get a used copy in good condition for cheap on Ebay) before attempting the plan. Understanding how & why Atkins works is critical in being successful on it.
I hope this helps!
All the best to you!
JerseyGyrl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2012, 09:07 AM   #4  

Net carbs just means subtracting the amount of fiber from the total amount of carbs because fiber passes through your body undigested.
CabernetKitty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2013, 08:46 PM   #5  
Sue finding inner song

S/C/G: 313.4/298.2/160

Height: 5' 4" 3/4

Do people lose more weight on the 1972 (or prior to 2002) Atkins diet?
wannaskipandlaugh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2013, 01:25 AM   #6  
Nutrisystem

S/C/G: 191/191/140

Height: 5'5 1/2"

I did when it first came out. I am planning on starting here for the first time in such a long time. I will get of my Metformin and stand by the 1972 version all the way. I felt much better.
Melsie52 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2013, 07:59 AM   #7  
Heading Downtown...

S/C/G: 225/165/165

Height: 5'8"

I really like the Atkins '72... I actually just found a collectible hardcover first edition from 1972 on Amazon... and I'm pretty amazed by how spot-on so much of it still is after over 40 years...

I really don't think it's all that much more restrictive either... and actually to me it seems more flexible... you just cut out carbs for the first week and than you choose what carbs to start adding back very slowly...

And as far as possibly losing more weight or losing faster... well, I guess that would depend on if it were easier for you to follow or not...
TripSwitch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2013, 08:21 AM   #8  
Sue finding inner song

S/C/G: 313.4/298.2/160

Height: 5' 4" 3/4

I thank you Melsie52 and TripSwitch

I had done Atkins in the early 80's and had that allowable foods still engrained in my brain and do follow that way. I tried extra veggies, but I did not lose as fast. I have a feeling the newer version added extra veggies to help the mind set of the "general" public But the old one works better for me too.

Thank you again and I hope you both have a great Friday and and Woo Hoo Weekend!
wannaskipandlaugh is offline   Reply With Quote