Old 03-06-2013, 12:46 PM   #1  

S/C/G: 153/146/115 (HW of 198)

Height: 5'2

Default 17 day diet

Hi Everyone,

I've done Atkins before and know that it doesn't work for my body (I lost the weight quickly yes, but wound up hospitalized and within 6 months gained 70 lbs). I've tried a couple times since then but always wound up gaining more than I lost back.

I have worked to incorporate less carbs into my lifestyle, and I've heard great things about the 17 day diet and from what Ive managed to find online it seems more in line with what I'm currently doing. More Zone-esque" Before I buy the book though, I wanted to see some of the "typical day" menu items.

Does anyone have an experience with this?
Bex1984 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2013, 01:20 PM   #2  

S/C/G: 225/217/150

Height: 5'7''

I don't have much experience with the 17 day diet- it looks a little gimmicky to me. I have been very successful with watching my carb and alcohol. When I keep my carb intake to fewer than 50 grams a day, I lose. I'm basically on a modified atkins/south beach plan, though I have not followed either book exactly how they would have me do it.

I am curious though, what happened with you and Atkins? I have considered trying Atkins or Southbeach strictly to see what kind of results I get, but I want to hear your story first!
pinkplato is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2013, 01:53 PM   #3  

I was 19 the first time I tried Atkins so this was after my 2nd year of University. I'd gained the freshman 15 (over 2 years) and was weighing in at 165. I followed the Atkins books, recipe guide and website to a T. From mid June through mid August I got down to 128. So quickly in fact I didn't even have time to appreciate or even enjoy how much Id lost. Looking in the mirror I wasn't ready to see the physical difference yet.

I played summer softball with my dad, and began noticing I was really tired. I began having difficulty standing on the field, and standing at my job. I went to my dr, the only thing I'd changed was my diet, but he was on Atkins himself so he said that couldn't possibly be it.

I noticed my urine had turned brown. I upped my water intake and no difference. I had a constant sweet taste in my mouth to the point I craved anything meaty just to get rid of it. My nails were constantly chipping and bumpy. My skin was beginning to look...off

One day I passed out at work and when I woke up I didn't have the energy to stand. I also had no appetite. None. I had no interest in eating for about 3 weeks after this.

Less than a week from the work incident I passed out again at home. By this time I had begun noticing my hair was falling out. I'd wake up every morning with a month's worth of hairbrush on my pillow! I couldn't make it from my bedroom to the couch without getting exhausted. I was terrified.

My dad took me to the ER. As soon as they saw my urine they said I was on my way to severe liver damage. They tested me for all sorts of deseases, hepatitis and the like. All the tests they did were coming up negative. Diabetes, everything. In the meantime I had refused to sway from the Atkins diet, and my parents were both sure that was the issue. Nothing else in my life or routine was different.

Finally my dad came to the hospital with a homemade fruit smoothie blended with cereal, spinach and yogurt (his diet specialty, lol!)- basically the anti-christ to me at that point!

Within a few hours my energy began to come back. He refused to let me go back on Atkins and within a week my urine was back to normal. My hair continued to fall out for another few months, but eventually stopped. My nails turned back to Normal. I still notice the creepy sweet taste in my mouth sometims when I drink Coke Zero now or if I haven't had enough carbs in a day, and that's how I know I need to eat something starchy.

I went back to eating "normally". Normal like my college friends, who are all normal weight with the same activity level as me. They gained no weight. From end of August to January I went from 128 lbs to 198lbs.

That my friends, is my Atkins story.
Old 03-06-2013, 03:41 PM   #4  

S/C/G: 225/217/150

Height: 5'7''

WOW. Thank you for sharing. It sounds like your body was really not happy with that. I'm assuming you were doing some pretty severe carb restricting. I don't know how it used to be, but I understand that you are supposed to increase your carbs after you lose the weight you want.

Even though I tell people I'm doing "low carb" I feel like what I am really doing is actually lower carb. I feel strongly that a huge contributor to weight issues has to do with the amount of carbs we eat. I would experiment. Try and keep your carbs to 80-100 grams a day. See if you lose and pay attention to how you feel. I seem to be doing well keeping it in the 60-70 range, but once I get to my goal weight, I plan on eating more (healthy) carbs.

Last edited by pinkplato; 03-06-2013 at 03:42 PM.
pinkplato is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2013, 04:20 PM   #5  

The thing is, while I was definetly restricting carbs "too much", I was following the program. Induction, moving on to each phase, that's why I know it doesn't work for me.

I eat extremely healthily now, with a nice mixture of things. I don't buy bread, my boyfriend is an Italian chef and makes his own pasta but even that is a special occasion. Maybe twice a month? We don't eat starches for dinner, and the "worst" food I eat is my high fibre granola bar for breakfast.

I'm one of those "Shop only the outside aisles" of the store people. I have to make a conscious choice to find my granola bars & cat food
Old 03-06-2013, 04:27 PM   #6  
Dukanista

S/C/G: high263/current257/ticker/198

Height: 5'7"

I haven't tried it but this goes into some detail including a sample menu

http://health.usnews.com/best-diet/17-day-diet

I like my plan but that menu sounds very healthy and doable!
April Snow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2013, 05:00 PM   #7  

Thank you so much April! The menu sounds really good actually, and certainly well within "do-able" range. And it looks like it stays in my 1200 calorie range
Old 03-06-2013, 05:13 PM   #8  
seeking balance

S/C/G: 186/124/120

Height: 5'3"

Wow, Atkins really didn't work well for you! I'm so sorry you had such a bad experience with it. Definitely not the way to go for you.

If you look up the 17-Day Diet books on Amazon, the site lets you preview several pages; maybe that'll give you more info to go on. The cookbook I just looked at has some yummy and healthy recipes!
Cattails is offline   Reply With Quote