Body Image and Issues after Weight Loss Including discussions about excess skin and reconstructive surgery

Old 03-03-2013, 09:15 PM   #1  

S/C/G: 293/ticker/170

Height: 5'6"

Default Loose Skin Anyone?

I have to admit, one of my fears of having 140+ to lose is that I will be cursed with saggy, baggy skin like my favorite childhood book "Saggy, Baggy Elephant."

I look for pick me ups quite often due to this fear. I know...it is silly. I am better off with saggy skin than a BMI of 47. Still, it is a fear I have. Regardless, I WILL keep going on with my weight lose.

Any ways, I found something that both makes me feel better that I won't be as bad as worse case scenario...but at the same time it makes me feel terrible for this gentleman. His plight gave light to my situation but...why is it that we can't get skin removal surgery when there are extremes such as this?!? I mean, seriously! I get it from a cosmetic point of view, but when it literally effects your quality of life?!!

How come my breast reduction surgery was deemed medically necessary but something like this isn't? I mean wow...this poor guy's situation breaks my heart. I am glad it's not me...but I HATE that is it him...much less anyone.
zoesmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2013, 03:57 PM   #2  

S/C/G: See ticker

Height: 5"3

Hi Zoesmom, a few months ago,
I met a lady in my walking group that has lost a HUGE amount of weight! She told me that because she lost her weight by walking (and eating properly) that the only surgery she needs is her "mommy tummy" and possibly her flabby arms.

So not sure what exercise you do, but walking is cheaper than surgery and a lot more fun!

For me, my body shape is better from speed walking then it has ever been from gym ( cardio). I would like to up my weight training to work on my butt and wobbly arms.

Good luck!
Wheresmychin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2013, 05:52 PM   #3  
I'm bringing sexy back!

S/C/G: 242/234.5/167

Height: 5'5"

Interesting article!
Mozzy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2013, 08:32 AM   #4  

S/C/G: 153/146/115 (HW of 198)

Height: 5'2

I've lost 50 lbs and while I still have more to lose, I find that the loose skin is around my stomach area. I'm hoping when the next 30 comes off that I'll be able to tighten it, through gym and Pilates and things, but not wearing a bikini due to loose skin is not one of my worries right now! Focus on the weight loss first, and lets not cross that bridge til we get to it!
Bex1984 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2013, 02:55 PM   #5  
Finally in control.

S/C/G: 294/236/199

Height: 5'4"

I exercise, moisturize, take vitamins and exfoliate and I've got loose skin around my stomach, arms and inner thighs. I made my peace with it awhile ago. If I can afford to have some plastic surgery one day to tighten things up...I will. In the meantime, I accept that there are consequences for the way I treated my body.
ChickieBoom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2013, 04:41 PM   #6  
banned

Height: 5'3

I'm the type who never really concerned myself with the aesthetics. My highest weight was about 230 (I'm currently 140-ish, dropped as low as 120, but gained 20 back), and I just wanted to stop rubbing rashes on my thighs and I wanted to BREATHE easy. But, you know what? This skin is GROSS. I don't want a perfect body, I just want to look normal. I'm a shy person who doesn't like to draw attention to myself (positive or negative) and my freakish skin prevents this. The worst part is, it's not just skin. My upper arms are disproportionally bigger than my lower arms. I have fat flaps that overlap over my elbows as if I were still obese! I plan on posting pictures as soon as I can figure out how to use my camera. LOL
Silver Sky is offline   Reply With Quote