Food Talk And Fabulous Finds Recipes, Healthy Cooking, and General Food Topics

Old 02-25-2013, 11:01 PM   #1  

Default one food you can't stand

I was inspired to start this thread after reading the "vegetable you hate thread." I wanted to extend this to any food. So what is the one food that if it was the only thing on earth to eat, you would rather starve? Oh and it has to be relatively common. It can't be something that everyone in their right mind hates anyway.

For me it's scallops. The very smell of scallops will cause me to vomit. I mean I can't even be at the same table as someone eating them. I don't know what it is about them I love all other seafood. It's like some kind of reflex with me.
Kisigin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2013, 11:28 PM   #2  
Restart 11/2012 at 153lbs

S/C/G: Hw194/Sw160/Cw120/gw125

Height: 5'2" on the dot!

Fish. The smell alone makes me sick. The hubby and his dad will cook it when I go out, but never open the darn windows and use so much oil it splatters all over the stove so when I get to clean their mess it smells of fishy oil. I can tolerate tuna from a can but it reminds me of when I used to have to feed my aunts cats. We have a nice neighbor that hunts and fishes a lot, so he brings fish over sometimes, lucky me.
chubbiegurl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2013, 11:51 PM   #3  

I remember back in college my friend Tim almost wanted to fight me because my fish sandwich was too close to his french fries. He's normally such an easy going guy but he has such an aversion to fish (I hadn't known before this). With him it's more than just disgust it's almost a phobia.
Kisigin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2013, 12:51 AM   #4  

Don't let your fish touch my food either. Lol. My sis is like that with onions, she will send a burger back that an onion has touched.

But no phobia for me I miss my goldfish Dorothy who passed away 6 months ago after 2 years. She kept me company while I spent time I the kitchen. My daughter laughed at how I talked to her.

Last edited by chubbiegurl; 02-26-2013 at 12:53 AM.
Old 02-26-2013, 01:17 AM   #5  
Lifelong Alaskan!

S/C/G: 230/180/150

Height: 5'5"

spaghetti-Os.....i hate them with a passion...i ate them once, yes ONCE, when i was pregnant with my son and it made me horribly sick (like morning sickness, only mine was all-day sick with my son) ...to this day i can't stand the sight or smell of them and NEVER buy them for my kids....and my son, the one i was pregnant with, he's 15 now LOL

running a close second would be peanut butter jelly sandwiches....although i've been known to eat a bite when utterly starved, i can't stand them....again from pregnancy/being poor....when i was pregnant and very very poor, i worked at an office that had no refrigerator and all i could afford to take to work during that hot summer was a PBJ...and it sat on my desk getting all hot and soggy until lunchtime, when i had to eat it regardless...ugh turns my stomach just to think of that

and i dont like whole, cooked octopus either...nor boiled herring eggs, seaweed, seal oil or clams
alaskanlaughter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2013, 02:03 AM   #6  

S/C/G: HW: 260 Restart: 230/223/223.8

Height: 5'6

The Snyder's Honey Mustard Onion Pretzels, I got really sick after i ate them, (nothing to do with me eating them) and still almost 5 years later If I smell them I vomit, even if my fiance eats them and I smell them when he comes home I've vomited from that as well.
Brandibooxoxo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2013, 02:29 AM   #7  

@alaskanLaughter I ate Chinese food when pregnant with my son 16 years ago and it made me sick. The taste of it coming up always comes back to me when the hubby buys some. I usually have to leave the room. So I hate Chinese food too, Thai food noodles I can eat away. Love Thai food even though I got sick off of thai food 10 years ago durring u guessed it pregnancy. Don't know why that one doesnt faze me.
Old 02-26-2013, 05:23 AM   #8  
Michelle :D

S/C/G: 85/64.1/56

Height: 164cm

lol im such a fussy eater, i hardly eat anything healthy, i cannot go near spinach, beans, lentils, and baby marrow and yams make me sick - dont even get me started on soup (especially chunky soup) or yougurt with fruit pieces in! a food must be solid or liquid, cant be both!
Fortunate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2013, 05:30 AM   #9  

S/C/G: 172/165/132

Height: 5'8"

I can relate to the fish thing; I don't like fish either! Although I think there's a difference between different kinds of fish. Some (like a good clean piece of cod or sole) I can just stand if I have to, but all other types of fish are just too fishy for me. ;-)

Now the food I really really really hate, to the point where I make a scene every time I even smell it, is basically anything pickled. Mainly pickled onions and gherkins because those are the pickled things people eat here. They make me sick. Sadly, my boyfriend and my father love them. My father used to eat them out of the jar at breakfast which often resulted in heated discussions. ;-)
runthecontinent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2013, 05:42 AM   #10  
pick your hard

S/C/G: 240/192/145

I am not a fussy eater. I am not squeamish. I have eaten very weird things. There is only one thing I would never ever eat under no circumstances. Marmite. Awful - how can people eat it and not spit it out?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg marmite.jpg (45.2 KB, 7 views)
Kitcherella is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2013, 06:17 AM   #11  
Unstoppable Force

S/C/G: 225/ticker/137

Height: 5'6"

I'm very picky about fish. I like tilapia, flounder, cod, and tuna, but the mere smell of salmon makes me gag. And if I see any grey shiny scaly thing on a fish...ugh.

I really hate any vegetable that's been cooked to a colorless limp pile of sludge. And I cannot handle the texture of cooked spinach, especially canned spinach. I like raw spinach and sometimes I'll wilt it (by dunking it in hot water), but the texture of cooked spinach is just....wrong.

Beef liver. Again, it's a texture thing.

Onions. I'll use them for seasoning in cooking but I do not like anything with noticeable onions in or on it.

Iceberg lettuce. It's like chewing on crunchy water.
Novus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2013, 07:20 AM   #12  

S/C/G: 152/cw 147/gw 135/ugw 130

Height: 5'7''

Yams/sweet potatoes - couldn't leave the table until I'd finished my dinner when I was little. Several condiments and hours later, I threw up while attempting to eat the yam. Now the smell alone just makes me ill.

Octopus - texture.

Yoghurt with pieces of fruit in it - ewwwwwww!

Oatmeal/tapioca/cream of wheat - soggy grossness to me!
bubblybarrister is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2013, 09:34 AM   #13  
Just Me

S/C/G: 364/--/182

Height: 5'6"

Now for me, it is any meat but I used to have problems eating fish prior to giving up meat completely.

And... spaghetti shaped noodles. I used to get a gag reflex from trying to eat them but now, I get a gag reflex from even looking at them or a picture of them. My husband loves spaghetti so my mother in law will give him boxes of it and I refuse to cook it. Instead, I make other pasta for him.
nelie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2013, 09:47 AM   #14  
onedayatatimer

S/C/G: 224/ticker/145-155

Height: 5'9.5"

Canned spinach makes me gag. Green tea makes me vomit. And I would never take a single bite of SPAM.
luckymommy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2013, 09:54 AM   #15  
*Embrace Power*

S/C/G: 332/279.8/195

Height: 5'5

Hard boiled or deviled eggs Makes me want to puke just thinking about it, and I cannot stand the smell either!
Pink Hurricane is offline   Reply With Quote