Living Maintenance general maintenance topics and discussions

Old 02-25-2013, 05:21 AM   #1  
Super Moderator

S/C/G: 239/173/165

Height: 5'9"

Default Maintainers Weekly Chat Feb 25 - Mar 3

The nine inches of wet snow predicted for Boston lay on the ground as a wimpy inch at best. So I'll have to get my exercise some other way, LOL.

Dagmar - I'm so happy that you made your peace with your childhood home. It's a big step. I remember the day we were about to drive away from the home were I'd been raised and I made some excuse to run back in . . . just to say goodbye again. Moving on.
BillBlueEyes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2013, 05:40 AM   #2  

S/C/G: 152/???/132/33

Height: 5'4"

Good morning all!

Bill I'm embarrasingly late at making most of the major life changes but I am making them. Strange how a small ritual can bring such relief. Now begins the challenge of figuring out how to buy a house and get a home inspection done before I fork over half a million dollars. Because this is all "electronic" money it's not so real for me yet. If I had to handle the money in stacks of bills I think I'd be overwhelmed.

I'm hoping that 5-10 cm of wet snow predicted for Toronto starting tonite will amount to the same as Boston's "wimpy inch" The dog sit will be over this evening - I hope. I had to stay an extra night at the last one due to a storm. I'm leaving the bedding on the bed until I hear that the plane has landed - around 9 p.m. and then I'm free and clear until the middle of March.

Tonite DH and I start HIS diet and fitness program in earnest. I'm giving myself a week of being OP before I climb on to the scale.

Dagmar
Mudpie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2013, 07:21 AM   #3  
Maintainer Wannabe

S/C/G: 161/143/135

Height: 5'7"

Good morning! I am way overscheduled again this week (and next week). ugh. I have my annual doctor visit on Thursday, so I am motivated to stay on plan. I would like for my weight to not be part of the discussion.
WardHog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2013, 09:03 AM   #4  
slow and steady

S/C/G: 185/see signature/135

Dagmar, are you going to pay for your new house outright with the $$ from the old one, or get a mortgage?

Bill, glad the snow turned out to be no big deal. We had a similar thing with the ice storm they predicted because they salted the streets so heavily that other than some slippery patches on the sidewalk there were no real problems.

Ward, good luck with your appointment!

I am working from home today. I think I'll be working at home Mondays and Thursdays most weeks since those two days I don't have any meetings, and a lot of my coworkers do it too. Plus, then I don't have to tire myself out walking back and forth to the bathroom at work which is way on the other end of the building (sad that I get so tired from something so simple).

In other news, I'm trying to not worry too much about the babies. I had thought that once I could feel them moving I'd worry less, but instead it's the other way around! Because sometimes they move a lot, and sometimes not so much, so if I go a while without feeling anything then I'm worried that something is wrong with them, or that one of them is moving and not the other, etc etc. Sigh. In other news, we got the cribs this weekend and they are awaiting assembly upstairs.
paperclippy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2013, 09:56 AM   #5  

February has been a bad month for my maintenance goals, having gained four more pounds instead of losing four of the pounds I gained over the holidays. I think I'm really scared. I see myself falling into the pattern of losing weight in the spring/summer/fall and gaining much of it back and I sooooooo don't want to allow myself to do this again in 2013! This week I want to get back on track without self-flagellation...
ChrisMohr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2013, 10:39 AM   #6  

S/C/G: 173/in progress/140ish

Height: 5'8"

Jessica~remember that babies sleep a lot! And they tend to sleep while you are busy, so as soon as you try to relax they wake up and start kicking and squirming. If you're ever alarmed that you're not feeling any movement, have a little OJ (yeah, I know it's gross) and then lie down for half an hour. That'll wake them up!

We're in the last four days of our old office. It's going to be a whirlwind of activity! I didn't bring the dogs in, and probably won't for the next few weeks, so Culley is happily checking out the office. He keeps jumping on my desk to see whats up here.

I had my yearly exam a couple weeks ago. I was stressed a bit as my weight was higher than I want it to be but my doctor wasn't upset. I'm still well within my healthy BMI. He basically said to keep on doing what I'm doing as everything looks good.
alinnell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2013, 10:40 AM   #7  

S/C/G: 178/134/125

Height: 5'6"

Jessica,
Can you tell if it is one baby moving or two when you feel movement? That must be so cool. I wish I could call your fears but I was a very anxious preggo as I had massive problems getting pregnant and staying pregnant.

Oh no Chris!! Get refocused now!! Does that help?

It's my birthday week. Not sure what dh has planned but I'm sure it will be more eating than I should have. I was hoping to be back down to my birthday weight last year (120) and that isn't going to happen unless I chop off a small appendage. As usual, I am bothered (annoyed?) by small changes on the scale. I was down to 123 Sunday morning and hopeful and optimistic-- just one more pound and I can get the lululemon yoga wear I promised myself... then today I'm back to 125 (my redline). Sigh..... we had sushi last night which sometimes leaves me with a gain, and other times not.... also just a few weeks until dh and I take our cruise. I certainly don't want to go on the cruise and come back 130 (or worse) which is where I started the New Year. Must. Stay. Focused.
traveling michele is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2013, 12:37 PM   #8  
slow and steady

S/C/G: 185/see signature/135

Chris, good luck getting back on track!

Allison, good luck with the office move.

Michele, happy early birthday! It's hard to say whether I can tell them apart or not. I can at least say "something is moving on the left side" and "something is moving on the right side," and I know that at least to begin with they were side by side so I assumed that was a way to tell them apart. I'm not sure what position they're in right now though so I couldn't say if movement on both sides of my belly is both of them moving, or if they turned transverse and it's one of them using hands and feet. They are still pretty small so I'm guessing they wouldn't be able to poke both sides at the same time yet.
paperclippy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2013, 01:32 PM   #9  
Staying the Same

S/C/G: 160+/116-120/maintainer

Height: 5'5

Hi maintainers!

Started the week off right with a full night's sleep. Gym this AM - finally, after 11 months of weight training, got the chutzpah to deadlift - love it.

I'm up 2 pounds from my ticker but that's ok. I've stayed under 125 for a good long while.
krampus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2013, 03:55 PM   #10  

Hope your birthday week is wonderful, Michele!

What a morning! After a quick run to the bank, I went to the new office to meet the Verizon guy. Who'd have thought it would take 3 hours to hook up the phone lines. I can understand if it were new construction, but this is a 20+ year old building. Thankfully the guy from our security company (who did all the wiring for the computers) stopped by. The Verizon guy said it wasn't on his ticket to hook up the DSL despite my phone call stating it was all set to be done. Anyway, the two of them talked and worked it out and we're all set for the phones to switch on Thursday.

I decided to be useful while over there and set about to sweep and mop all the tile in the office (that's all there is--tile). Sweeping netted a few piles of dust and stuff, but once I started mopping I quickly realized I was in over my head. Imagine mopping a 6 foot square area and the bucket of soapy water is now black! I can't tell you how many buckets I dumped and started over with. And I re-mopped everything! Some areas I mopped THREE times and when it dried I ran my hand over the dry tile and came up with a hand covered in fine, white silt. I think it's residue from the tile cutting place that owned the building last. While we pressure-washed the entire warehouse, the offices wouldn't have withstood such punishment, so it's up to us to clean. DH felt bad for me and is having our tile guy come out and do a good job on the tile.

Now imagine this if you will: the office was recently painted white. That's nice--it should clean up well, but has anyone ever heard of something called a DROPCLOTH? Obviously those who painted hadn't as there are drips of white paint all over the place. Mostly close to the walls, but it's still bad looking. And they don't have molding on the walls at the floor, so every time I barely touched the wall with the mop, paint and plaster would come off and make the walls look worse than they should. We are going to put molding in, but I don't know when.

So now that I don't have to worry about doing the tile, I'm tackling the office bathroom next. Don't worry, I bought industrial strength rubber gloves! Ick.
Old 02-26-2013, 05:43 AM   #11  

S/C/G: 152/???/132/33

Back from the dogsit. I'm going to take a breather from all the house sale stuff for a day before contacting the lawyer for the next steps. I did hire him back at the beginning of the month but now I have questions about the closing that I should get answered soon.

Jessica I am buying the new house with $$ from the old. Simpler that way.

I have never been pregnant and I expect your first pregnancy, coupled with the fact that it's twins, is quite stressful at times. Hope you get more accustomed to having two living beings inside who have their own schedules and can relax and enjoy some of this before you get so big you just want it to be over.

krampus Good start to the week!

Chris February has been hard for a lot of us. Let's all recommit right now and get a jump start on being back OP for March!

Michele Happy Birthday!

Allison There are people who do industrial cleaning for hire. My DH's boss got a guy to clean out their unit before they moved in and was so impressed by his service that she kept him on to come in once a week. They are a reno company and still do some work in the shop so it gets pretty dirty quickly. That and it's an all guy office (except for the boss).

ward Hope your doctor's visit goes smoothly!

I am going to go and stretch and do yoga for the first time since Sunday a week ago. There wasn't any floor space at the dogsit and my creaky body is begging for a good stretch.

Dagmar
Mudpie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2013, 09:51 AM   #12  
Chuggin' along...

Morning all,

Everyone dragged themselves into my office a little late this morning. Yesterday afternoon we all spent an hour at the conference table in the center of our building because storms were so bad we were scared of being near windows, and we were under a tornado watch. Repeat at 4:45 AM this morning. The good news is that despite numerous water spouts and tornadoes, I haven't heard of anyone hurt, though schools are out due to lack of power in some areas. It also poured for hours yesterday and I didn't get the dog out for any exercise for either of us.

Count me in with those who need a kick in the pants and hasn't had the best February health-wise. On a few days, off a few days, on, off, etc. Ok, Chris, let's try and get back on track together. We can do it.

Dagmar, enjoy your yoga practice. Ahhhh. It relaxes me just thinking about it. Do you still plan to buy a place a few hours away or have you decided to stay where you are?

Krampus, isn't deadlifting grand? Second only to squats in my book. The part of me that has had shoulder problems wants to remind you to keep your shoulders down and back in proper form.

Jessica, I'm sure those two are just warming up for the soccer game they will soon be playing in your belly. I'm sure it's hard not to worry, but you and DH are doing everything right to take good care of those girls now.

Alison, ugh. At least you only need to clean the new place so thoroughly this once. After this it should be routine.

Michele, happy almost birthday!

Off to work. Have a good day everyone.
Megan1982 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2013, 10:06 AM   #13  

S/C/G: 178/134/125

Height: 5'6"

Allison-- think of all the exercise you got cleaning! I bet you're sore today!!
traveling michele is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2013, 10:34 AM   #14  

Actually I'm not as sore as I thought I would be. Must have been because I got a great night's sleep. Well, until 4 AM when the cat decided to sit on my chest!

Best part is that the tile guy just called and he'll do the cleaning today so we can move the rest of our furniture tomorrow and get all set up! I think I'll go over this afternoon and clean the bathroom. It was really yucky!
Old 02-26-2013, 10:42 AM   #15  
Recovering Pantry Pest

S/C/G: 174.5/162/149

Height: 5'7"

Bill, "Rocky" is expected to give us anywhere between 3 to 8 inches of heavy wet stuff overnight. I'll work from home tomorrow if DS's school cancels. It's almost, but not quite, nice to have a normally snowy cold winter. This time last year, I think we'd already seen the 70's a couple of times.

Dagmar, the scale will wait a week. Shucks, you've got so much going on, that week will fly by! I know what you mean about electronic money - seeing long strings of digits on a printout doesn't have the same impact. I'm starting to understand why my mom prefers to still handle transactions in cash - it feels like having more "skin in the game" and makes me a little more careful.

Ward, good luck with your physical! I sympathize with your overscheduled-ness - hope you can find a few little chunks of time in there to relax and unwind.

Jessica, it's not "sad" to be tired! Good grief, woman, you're making two new people! Of course it's going to sap your energy a little! I really enjoy reading about your preggo progress - it takes me back to some great times in my life. Kids, what a roller coaster!

Chris, I think a lot of us have those winter swings. Between the seasonal availabilities of what we prefer to eat, the lower and less intense light, it does require a higher level of vigilance to hold the line, IMO. Near as I can figure, self-flagellation burns no calories, so it's kind of pointless. You've been on track before, you know it feels good, so ... that ole Nike line: Just Do It!

allison, it sounds like Culley's learning that the domestic life is pretty darn good. Thank goodness he found you and vice versa! Congrats on the good exam, and the new office - you are a busy lady these days! I can commiserate with you on the floor that Just Won't Come Clean. Some things are best left to professionals with heavy equipment.

michele, happy birthday week! You can navigate these challenges and still enjoy yourself. Lululemon will be yours soon!

krampus, any week that starts with a good sleep is a good week! Are you contemplating another new weight move for your 1 year anniversary?

megan, I'm glad your building has a safe spot to be. Here's hoping you don't need it! I too am ready for February to go bye-bye. I NEED to see a daffodil or crocus!

I'm almost on autopilot these days. I have been practicing the art of silencing my inner dialogues for a while now, and it is having all sorts of promising effects. There's been a lot of really delicious food around the house that requires crazy levels of portion control - macaroni and cheese, quiche (with a real lard crust and heavy cream, I might add), so I'm a little grumpy about all the open space left on my already small plate. However, I'm not feeling any strong emotions about it because there's no arguing going on in my head. When this stuff is gone, we'll go back to the way we usually eat ... end of story. The last frontier to conquer is getting some regular exercise onto the autopilot program - my desire for inertia runs pretty deep!
ICUwishing is offline   Reply With Quote