Old 12-05-2011, 11:09 AM   #1  

S/C/G: 285/200/200

Height: 6' 2"

Default Your Most Embarrassing "Big Man" Moment

It's kind of an odd issue to bring up, most embarrassing moment, but I think it serves a purpose - you are not alone! We've all had chairs collapse on us, seat belt issues, etc.

In my own case, at 285 lbs. I was forced to buy a second airline seat. It wasn't a question of a big butt, it was simply the airline wanted bucks (this was in Costa Rica). Regardless, my self esteem hit the floor. I was embarrassed beyond belief. Yeah, my cussing in Spanish helped a little but I paid up and vowed to never fly with them again.

But most importantly, this turned out to be my "tipping point" event that got me started on an 88 lb weight loss journey. I did some serious soul searching and decided to finally deal with my weight problem, in a positive way. It was my own damn fault so I needed to fix it. And that's what I did.

Any similar experiences?
Wimpster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2011, 05:39 PM   #2  

S/C/G: 280.4/260.2/215

Height: 6'4"

Never had to deal with anything like that - but in general I am uncomfortable in small spaces, I always feel like I am taking up too much room. I guess my closest is squeezing in and out of my racecar, I just dont fit well at the moment. I feel like everyone is watching me, almost laughing at me.

My tipping point was my last race in November when I could barely get my head into the car. I can't wait to see what it will feel like at 215 lbs. 1 week down - 13 pounds off. Hopefully the rest comes off easily as well.
FatDude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2011, 04:04 PM   #3  
My friends call me Darrel

S/C/G: 414/314/215

Height: 6'2"

I've had a few. Broke a chair at my parent's house. Haven't had to buy an extra plane seat but I have had other issues. Can't get drinks and snacks unless the seat next to me is empty because I'm too big to let my tray down. I've also had to use seatbelt extenders. Got so embarrassing to ask the attendant for it that I finally kept one and took it with me for the next time. If someone is sitting next to me I spend the whole flight with my arms crossed so I don't crowd them. I'm flying again tomorrow. First time since I've started losing and I don't know how much difference my 65 lbs loss is going to make yet. I'm still 345.
I did get a ticket once for not wearing a seat belt. I was getting a ride from a friend and the belt didn't fit. He was pulled over for a different reason but I got a no-belt ticket.
tykesplace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2011, 01:13 PM   #4  

Default Fat Dude and Darrel

Fat Dude - UR down 13 in a week? That is incredible!

and

Darrel - down 65 is also incredible!

Both of you guys, just hold steady and keep focused on what you will look and feel like when you reach your goal. This is what will keep you motivated and will help avoid going off the reservation.

Hope some other guys share their moments too.

BTW, I can think of 3 broken chair incidents - embarrassing but kind of cartoonish funny now when I think about it.
Old 12-13-2011, 08:49 PM   #5  

S/C/G: 250 / 210 / 210

Height: 6' 4"

Well I never got so big as to accidentally draw attenton to myself - but I did find it personally embarassing to realize how my belly was getting in the way. I could feel it "blocking me" as I bent over to put my shoes on. And I needed to peer "over it" to see the numbers on the scale, when I started out.
darway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2011, 01:02 PM   #6  
Jon On Demand

S/C/G: 258 / 255 / 215

Height: 6 Feet even

For me I went through a period (leading up to current) where I eventually gained 30+ lbs, and a lot of my work clothes don't fit. I went home for the holidays (I have to celebrate early since I work around the holidays and live in a different state from my folks) and told them I needed to get a new pair of jeans because my current ones would shrink up once I washed them and it would be tricky to make them fit. I find it embarrassing to admit that but also just frustrating. For Christmas and my birthday I got some new work clothes which was super nice of them.

At work I find that just sitting in a chair for 8 hours is just uncomfortable for me because my sides and my back hurt a little bit. I move around and sometimes even slouch to make the day pass by faster. I have just relaunched my weight loss journey because I've been down to about 212 (at that point I felt great) - so it's simply correcting my eating behavior and visiting the gym a few times a week (big cardio fan here, love the treadmill and bicycle).
jonondemand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2011, 01:42 PM   #7  

I took my trip last week and was able to get by on the plane without the belt extender. On the return flight I was actually able to put my tray down and have my water and tea, but it was still a tight fit to the belly. Sitting next to someone was still uncomfortable but it was more just about the plane being small rather than me being too big.
Old 12-21-2011, 08:29 AM   #8  

S/C/G: 294 / 155 / 160-ish ?

Height: 5'9"

I needed the "seatbelt extender" getting strapped into a roller coaster once. That was pretty bad
ANGST is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2011, 02:38 PM   #9  

S/C/G: 280.4/260.2/215

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wimpster View Post
Fat Dude - UR down 13 in a week? That is incredible!

and

Darrel - down 65 is also incredible!

Both of you guys, just hold steady and keep focused on what you will look and feel like when you reach your goal. This is what will keep you motivated and will help avoid going off the reservation.

Hope some other guys share their moments too.

BTW, I can think of 3 broken chair incidents - embarrassing but kind of cartoonish funny now when I think about it.
Yep - 13 in a week. Updated as of yesterday it is now 18. Not as huge but still solid. Basically 18 lbs in 2 weeks and a few days. I got my dietician to agree to let me start exercising (limited calories so they dont want me working too hard) and I am hoping that really kicks it up. I have a bet with my dietician that I will lose another 13 in 2 weeks, she thinks it will be 9. I have set a personal goal to crush the 13 and do more like 17. With me being able to start riding that should greatly kick up the metabolism. Im going to start slow at about 10 miles a day and increase from there as I feel good.
FatDude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2011, 12:32 PM   #10  

Quote:
Originally Posted by ANGST View Post
I needed the "seatbelt extender" getting strapped into a roller coaster once. That was pretty bad
Yep. A few years ago we went to Knott's Berry Farm in CA. I wasn't able to go on some rides. Really embarrassing to get to the front of the line, try to get in and then have to get out while you're wife and kids go on by themselves.

Just noticed your profile stats. Congrats on being half the man you used to be!

Last edited by tykesplace; 12-22-2011 at 12:36 PM.
Old 01-03-2012, 04:15 PM   #11  
Steve

S/C/G: 345/301/250

Quote:
Originally Posted by ANGST View Post
I feel the pain here. I waited in line 3 hours once at six flags for a roller coaster, when we finally got there, the seats were form fitting and it wasn't "MY" form (if you get my drift).

I just had to wait over by the exit while the rest of the people I went with enjoyed the ride.
Coldmiser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2012, 02:36 PM   #12  

S/C/G: 252/ticker/183.5

My kids wanted me to shake my "jelly roll" in front of my in-laws. That was my tipping point.

It's hard to tie my shoes, I have to take a deep breath tie one, breath, tie the other one. My visceral fat is really high, which is bad. My lack of exercise is keeping me from sleeping at night very well. Sux.
andrew80k is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2012, 06:20 AM   #13  

Gotta love those kids...wanting to show off their Dad's jelly roll!

The good news is you've had an emotional event i.e. a tipping point that you now need to take advantage of. Take some quality time and imagine you at your ideal weight of 183...new clothes, new confidence, how you will feel physically and emotionally...all the benefits of a slender you. This is your Big Dream. Lock and load that Big Dream all day and every day to keep you on track.

Particularly with kids around, failure in not an option!
Old 01-07-2012, 10:05 AM   #14  
One man would not fall...

S/C/G: 400/223/190

Height: 5' 10"

At 400 pounds just going out in public was almost traumatizing, everything in your life is made more difficult.Not any one event just an accumulation of everyday i suppose.
Resolute is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2012, 02:38 PM   #15  

S/C/G: 204/114/120

Height: 5'

Quote:
Originally Posted by Resolute View Post
At 400 pounds just going out in public was almost traumatizing, everything in your life is made more difficult.Not any one event just an accumulation of everyday i suppose.
Awesome job of losing, congratulations !
bargoo is offline   Reply With Quote