Whole Foods Lifestyle For discussion of whole foods and more natural diets.

Old 03-01-2013, 12:15 PM   #1  
fat to fit

S/C/G: 235/225/165

Height: 5'6"

Default Are these ACTUALLY clean foods?

Hello, I just began my clean eating journey a few weeks ago. I am still learning and have some questions.
Are "organic" leavening agents such as organic corn starch and wheat flour really clean as they claim? What are some clean alternatives? What are some satisfying chocolate options or alternatives to curb my sweet tooth? Also, I'm looking for some great smoothie recipes if you have any you would like to share; especially ones good for before or after a workout. Any other advice?
Thank you all in advance!
niknak8888 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2013, 12:26 PM   #2  
Just Me

S/C/G: 364/--/182

What do you mean by clean? Are you following a specific plan?

For a whole foods diet, generally dark chocolate is recommended. I added some cacao nibs to my morning smoothie this morning and it wasn't super chocolatey but it was good.
nelie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2013, 10:27 AM   #3  
fat to fit

S/C/G: 235/225/165

By clean, I mean when I shop for food I read the ingredient list, and if there is something that can't pronounce, high fructose corn syrup, "natural flavors," anything made from concentrate, I don't buy it. Basically organic foods I can get from a farmers market, no GMOs... as clean as I can think to eat. I buy bread products such as brown rice, whole grain, or spinach based from a co-op.
niknak8888 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2013, 10:37 AM   #4  
Just Me

And that is slightly different than the original term 'clean' in relation to food. Based on your own definition, it sounds like organic corn starch and (whole) wheat flour would fit. Corn starch is definitely processed and not whole foods but it has minimal ingredients, non-GMO (if organic) and whole wheat flour is minimally processed but still processed. Whole wheat flour is generally less processed than corn starch because it is made by grinding wheat while corn starch is made by breaking down corn and separating out the starch.

For a whole foods diet, I generally try to eat minimally processed items, I do eat sprouted grain breads occasionally and sometimes things I could make myself but feeling lazy like hummus as long as all the ingredients are whole foods themselves. And a good test is, Can I make this myself? Corn starch would be no. Whole wheat flour? yes, if I got hold of wheat.
Old 03-07-2013, 11:46 AM   #5  
Just Me

Many of the original clean eating styles (Body for Life - 1999 was the first one I read that talked about eating clean) included whole grains, especially brown rice and oats. I don't know about the newer connotations of 'eating clean'.