Weight Loss Surgery If you've had it, or are considering it, share your discussions here

Closed Thread

Old 02-24-2013, 12:53 PM   #1  

Default The best, safest option for weight loss? Please help :(!

I considered the gastric sleeve surgery, but my gut was telling me it was a bad idea.

I also considered the lap band, but I've talked to a lot of people I know that've gotten it done, and it had 80% bad news from my neighbors due to erosion and other complications.

I don't want to get something with some serious complications, and that scares me.

I weigh 150 pounds, I've been this weight for six years. I'm 18 years old.

I've got hypothyroidism, and my doctor told me it'll be next to impossible to lose weight with my thyroid problems even with just diet and exercise.

I want to lose the weight! I've been on healthy regiments, and exercising daily, but no results.

What is a safe option for weight loss? I thought about lipo, but I'm iffy.
Old 02-24-2013, 01:37 PM   #2  
Old Cackler

Hi Callie - yes, i've read EVERY post since you joined back in 2009 when you were only 15. And i didn't do it to stalk you or anything, but rather to figure out what's been going on with you.

do you realize, first of all, that you've lost FORTY POUNDS since you first joined 3FC? You've gone from high school to college - and I'm wondering if you've gained a few pounds since you started college. That happens to just about everyone.

As you said in a different 3FC thread, your meal options are limited, and you're a picky eater, and several people suggested that you make sure to get enough protein. Can't emphasize that enough. aim for between 30 and 40 grams of protein a day [and figure that each ounce of meat, chicken, or fish has about 7 grams of protein]. So, you should be eating between 5 and 6 ounces of meat/chicken/fish a day. Eggs are good, too - extra large eggs have 6 grams of protein, jumbos have 9 grams, and large eggs have 3 grams. Cheese, yogurt, milk, chick peas, lentils, all count, too.

have you looked at the new portion plate concept? here's a link to a visual, but don't let the fact that it's a plate you can buy upset you. http://www.theportionplate.com/

the deal is that 1/2 of the food on your plate should be vegetables [not corn, peas, carrots, potatoes, rice], 1/4 of the food should be protein, and 1/4 should be a starch [that's where peas, carrots, potatoes, rice, pasta, other grains would go]. some of these 'plates' include a side of dairy and a side of fruit - these could be snacks [think fruit and cheese, or some nuts and dried fruit, or yogurt and fruit].

It's just an easy visual.

Because you're tiny, every single pound shows, but then again, every single pound lost ALSO shows...

keep up with the exercise. And remember, this is about developing new habits that'll last you for the rest of your life. It's not about a quick fix or the diet of the week.

Bottom line, darlin, weight loss surgery isn't in the cards for you right now. Even if you were self-pay, it'd be hard to find a surgeon who would do it on someone so young with so little to lose, and who hasn't exhausted all options [I know - I hear you - it's HARD - but you've already lost 40 pounds!!!!]

Want me to help you find a different part of 3FC than the surgery forum? I'll check with the other moderators and see what they say. I know you can do this - but it's gonna take some time.
Old 02-24-2013, 11:18 PM   #3  

S/C/G: 313/262/140?

Height: 5'5"

Not sure if this will help, but if WLS is not an option (which from other posters it sounds like it may not be) consider adding / changing some of your exercise to weight lifting or resistance. Though I don't know how it will be affected by thyroid issues, generally, adding muscle will speed up your metabolism. You may not see a change in the scale right away, but you should see a change in size. I'm sure there are folks in the exercise forum who can help, if you want to consider that.
Old 02-28-2013, 03:28 PM   #4  
Soul Cyster

S/C/G: 235/seeticker/135

Height: 5'3"

How tall are you?
Old 02-28-2013, 06:49 PM   #5  

Quote:
Originally Posted by 19Deltawifey View Post
You weigh 150 pounds? I don't think you will be able to find a surgeon to perform WLS on you (in the USA) since you aren't obese. I have heard of people getting the sleeve done in the Philippines or Mexico when they weren't overweight. Supposedly there have been models who get the procedure done but that could all be speculation and I'm not sure if it's true. How tall are you? I've never dealt with thyroid issues but I would think long and hard before doing anything permanent. Do the benefits outweigh the risk? and vice versa? This is only something you can answer.
I weight 155 at the moment! I'd rather not take a risk going to Mexico or a foreign country for that kind of thing! I got my height recorded yesterday! I am currently 5'1". And yes, the benefits outweigh the risks, at least for me. I've dealt with a lot of emotional issues weighing this much.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jiffypop View Post
Hi Callie - yes, i've read EVERY post since you joined back in 2009 when you were only 15. And i didn't do it to stalk you or anything, but rather to figure out what's been going on with you.

do you realize, first of all, that you've lost FORTY POUNDS since you first joined 3FC? You've gone from high school to college - and I'm wondering if you've gained a few pounds since you started college. That happens to just about everyone.

As you said in a different 3FC thread, your meal options are limited, and you're a picky eater, and several people suggested that you make sure to get enough protein. Can't emphasize that enough. aim for between 30 and 40 grams of protein a day [and figure that each ounce of meat, chicken, or fish has about 7 grams of protein]. So, you should be eating between 5 and 6 ounces of meat/chicken/fish a day. Eggs are good, too - extra large eggs have 6 grams of protein, jumbos have 9 grams, and large eggs have 3 grams. Cheese, yogurt, milk, chick peas, lentils, all count, too.

have you looked at the new portion plate concept? here's a link to a visual, but don't let the fact that it's a plate you can buy upset you.

the deal is that 1/2 of the food on your plate should be vegetables [not corn, peas, carrots, potatoes, rice], 1/4 of the food should be protein, and 1/4 should be a starch [that's where peas, carrots, potatoes, rice, pasta, other grains would go]. some of these 'plates' include a side of dairy and a side of fruit - these could be snacks [think fruit and cheese, or some nuts and dried fruit, or yogurt and fruit].

It's just an easy visual.

Because you're tiny, every single pound shows, but then again, every single pound lost ALSO shows...

keep up with the exercise. And remember, this is about developing new habits that'll last you for the rest of your life. It's not about a quick fix or the diet of the week.

Bottom line, darlin, weight loss surgery isn't in the cards for you right now. Even if you were self-pay, it'd be hard to find a surgeon who would do it on someone so young with so little to lose, and who hasn't exhausted all options [I know - I hear you - it's HARD - but you've already lost 40 pounds!!!!]

Want me to help you find a different part of 3FC than the surgery forum? I'll check with the other moderators and see what they say. I know you can do this - but it's gonna take some time.
I don't want to burst your bubble, or come across as rude, but my name is Cali. I actually did not weight as much as I had said. I originally joined this site so I could help my mother (who at the time, weighed 189 pounds) because I was worried for her and my own health. I'm going to talk to my mother's doctor (she had the gastric sleeve done), to see what he suggests because right now, my endocrinologist had told me it's basically impossible for me to lose weight with my thyroid levels being so low. Even right now, I'm taking pills with a higher dosage for hypothyroidism, and my levels are still immensely low.

I also eat healthy, I portion control, and I stopped being so picky, and started eating healthier.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dona Quixote 2013 View Post
Not sure if this will help, but if WLS is not an option (which from other posters it sounds like it may not be) consider adding / changing some of your exercise to weight lifting or resistance. Though I don't know how it will be affected by thyroid issues, generally, adding muscle will speed up your metabolism. You may not see a change in the scale right away, but you should see a change in size. I'm sure there are folks in the exercise forum who can help, if you want to consider that.
I have a personal trainer that helps with a lot of my exercises, but even she's noticed that I'm gaining a lot of muscle in certain areas (i.e. my arm, legs) but she's noticed that the weight isn't coming off, and I've been working with her for almost a year and a half :/.

Quote:
Originally Posted by beerab View Post
How tall are you?
5'1"
Old 02-28-2013, 09:04 PM   #6  
I got this

S/C/G: 206/162/135

Height: a little over 5'2

Honestly, you are not going to be able to get surgery since your BMI is 29.3

You say 5'1 on this thread but 4'11 on another? Which is it?...

I would try to continue to talk with DRs about your thyroid issue. There are many others on here with thyroid issues and they are able to lose, slowly but still losing.

I wish you the best of luck.
Old 02-28-2013, 10:32 PM   #7  

Quote:
Originally Posted by amandie View Post
Honestly, you are not going to be able to get surgery since your BMI is 29.3

You say 5'1 on this thread but 4'11 on another? Which is it?...

I would try to continue to talk with DRs about your thyroid issue. There are many others on here with thyroid issues and they are able to lose, slowly but still losing.

I wish you the best of luck.
The doctor measured me, I'm 5'1" (with shoes) according to him, but I measured myself 4'11" (without shoes)

I will try!

Thank you!
Old 03-01-2013, 07:00 AM   #8  
Releasing the inner hiker

Cali,

I would question the surgeon who would perform WLS on someone your age with a BMI of 29.3 with no apparent comorbidities. You also asked which surgery is the safest option. All come with risks, which truthfully, are more serious than living at your current weight.

Have you tried any of the Protein Sparing Modified Fast (PSMF) diets? Many people have had a lot of success with them. Ideal Protein is one and I think Medifast/Optifast would also fall into this category. Optifast is medically supervised; maybe your mother's surgeon could help monitor you on this program?

Further, are there issues other than the low thyroid that are contributing to your weight gain? Binging? Stress/boredom eating? If so, have you considered therapy to deal with those issues?

I'm sure it is frustrating to hear people who have had WLS not supporting your decision to have it. However, it is not the quick fix that so many people believe and if there are other issues at play, they do not go away after surgery.
Old 03-01-2013, 09:26 AM   #9  
Old Cackler

I have deleted the posts from people who have not had WLS, with the exception of Amandie's repost - and that's staying only because the OP responded to it. Please read the sticky at the top of this thread list for this forum http://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/weig...ead-first.html

it reads, in part:

This is a reminder that this part of 3FC is a weight loss surgery support forum. As the title of the forum suggests, If you've had it, or are considering it, share your discussions here. This is the one area of the forum that the WLS members should be able to post without worry of defending or justifying their decisions. (It's sad that there has to be justification to begin with!)

If you do not agree with weight loss surgery, this forum is not for you.

If you want to debate weight loss surgery or if you want to stop anybody from having surgery, this forum is not for you.

If members post about WLS in other areas of the forum, you are more than welcome to give your two cents about the surgery, but this is the SUPPORT forum. Debates can be taken up in the general areas by all members, including WLS and non-WLS.

Those of you who posted are indeed well-intentioned and trying to be helpful, but because you don't truly understand the issues surrounding surgery and what drives people to have it, comments that you intend to be inspiring and helpful can actually come across as condescending and patronizing.

And Cali - I'll try to spell your name correctly in the future.
Old 03-01-2013, 08:31 PM   #10  
it's always something

I'm going to go ahead and close this thread for her since it doesn't seem to be going anywhere constructive and the OP doesn't qualify for WLS.

We wish Cali the best of luck in finding the best weight loss option for her personal situation
Closed Thread