General Diet Plans and Questions General diet questions, support for various diet plans other than those listed below.

Old 02-26-2013, 01:16 AM   #1  
Moostacular

Height: 5'5"

Question Healthy, Simple, Vegetarian Meals for a Single Gal?

Hey Everyone

So I just started my new exercise and healthy eating routine! While my breakfasts and lunches are easily doable, I'm struggling with finding tasty and quick vegetarian dinners that also won't gouge my pocketbook. I also only cook for myself, so recipes that make great leftovers (but not too much) would be ideal. So I'm reaching out to you guys!

Do you have any vegetarian recipes that are your "go to" meals, or know of any really great sites that provide fantastic recipes?

Thanks
WTF Moose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2013, 06:12 AM   #2  
Heading Downtown...

S/C/G: 225/165/165

Height: 5'8"

"Vegetarian Suppers from Deborah Madison's Kitchen" by Deborah Madison is a really nice cookbook and the recipes are all fairly simple and quick... and would work well for you since they are all easy to scale down from 3 or 4 servings to 1 or 2...
TripSwitch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2013, 10:12 AM   #3  

S/C/G: 354/342/250(for now)

Height: 5'3"

What type of vegetarian are you? do you eat eggs, cheese? Are there any other dietary concerns (carbs, soy, etc).
CanadianCutie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2013, 06:08 PM   #4  
Moostacular

Thanks Tripswitch, I'll check it out

CanadianCute- I'm not vegan, and I have no other dietary restrictions. I just don't eat meat
Old 02-26-2013, 06:25 PM   #5  

S/C/G: 192/173.6/145

Height: 5'4"

In tosca renos eat clean cookbook there's an awesome vegan african stew that tastes great and makes great leftovers! I think you can find the recipe online.

Off memory its sauteed onion celery and garlic in olive oil. Then add 2cups broth, 1T tomato paste, 1 T molasses, (molasses is a good source of magnesium and stores for a long time in the fridge), and 10 to 15 red potatoes,1 yam salt and pepper and hot sauce if u like spice boil for 15. Then add q 1 can kidney beans, 1 can chickpeas drained and rinsed and cook for 10 minutes til potatos are done. Voila!
hopebewild is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2013, 02:50 AM   #6  

thank's it's very important. it's for Diet success tambunbali.com/eating-rules-for-slim-stomach
tambun bali is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2013, 07:23 AM   #7  
Starting Over Again

S/C/G: 195/195/150

If you want something that is fast and don't mind spending a little for the convenience, try anything from Morningstar. I'm a big fan of their Spicy Black Bean Burgers and the Italian Style Chik Patties. They're microwavable.

Otherwise, try rice dishes with stir-fry veggies and/or tofu. Mix up salads by adding fruits, nuts, etc. for a different taste. Try steamed veggies (try edamame) with olive oil and spices. I buy a lot of Grean Giant's Steamers when they go on sale for $1 each at Giant Eagle or Walmart. I just use the whole thing as a meal. They make some with rice now too that are a bit more filling, but still low calorie and healthy.

Last edited by Psychic; 02-27-2013 at 07:23 AM.
Psychic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2013, 03:03 AM   #8  
Moostacular

Awesome! Thanks! I definitely enjoy some of Morning Stars products. That vegan African stew sounds delicious! I'm excited to try some new options this weekend

I'm also a fan of the Gardein brand, I make little "chicken" wraps with spinach, tomato and onions. With some of those snap pea salad toppers as my "chips".