Weight Loss Support Give and get support here!

Old 02-25-2013, 04:25 PM   #16  
F - Yeah, I'm doing this.

S/C/G: 297/*Ticker*/175

Height: 5'10"

(This isn't mine, but the pink carpets look just like mine )

This is the one that I have - truth be told it holds much more beer than it does redbull

and yes! Flavors!!!

I used to be a Dr.Pepper/Root Beer/Orange Crush/Everything but Cola junkie too (on top of the red bull) and I have been just about pop free for a couple months now! That was quite hurdle too (Pretty sure those were double red bull days ) I have thought about getting something like a Soda stream so I can still have that lovely fizz that I crave. Although I find club soda and the sugar free Torani syrups a pretty decent alternative if I really want some bubbles.

I used to buy the green tea ginger ale all the time to keep at home, but it got to the point where I was drinking 2 or 3 a day! Worse yet, I would feel bad about drinking that much and would be embarrassed that I drank it all ALL and my boyfriend didn't get any, so I would have to go to the store and get more so he didn't notice! I still buy coke so he has something to mix with his rum, but I can't bring myself to drink cola so it's not a problem.
Silverfire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2013, 04:28 PM   #17  

S/C/G: 229/see ticker/135

Height: 62 inches

My guilty pleasure is a super delish calorie laden iced coffee from a local coffee shop near my old home. I HAD to have one almost daily! Of course now that we have moved 4 hours away from my coffee shop, I can no longer have them. I do get them when I go back to visit family every few months.

I'm a BIG coffee drinker and used to just laden it with creamer and sugar. (My home coffee probably had 400 cals easily!) Now I'm at the point where I can have my coffee with 2 measured servings of creamer and no extra sugar. I am not willing to give up those two servings of creamer!!

And like another poster said, I'm big on dark chocolate! In face, hubby asked if I needed/wanted anything brought home today (bad night/day) and I told him I really needed dark chocolate!

I guess I have more than one guilty pleasure I'm not willing to give up completely. I did give up my Mountain Dew (used to drink a liter a day) and my sweet tea. I no longer have either of those, ever. Giving up the Dew was the hardest and I really had a rough time. Now, I'm glad I did it!

So you are def not alone! We all have our vices!
RavenWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2013, 09:02 PM   #18  

S/C/G: 298/ticker/175

Height: 5'7"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Radiojane View Post
The withdrawal is a real kick in the rear isn't it.
I surely is. I gave up smoking a few years ago but I cannot kick the caffeine habit although I really have cut way down.
Garnet2727 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2013, 09:03 PM   #19  
Trying to be in the 160s

S/C/G: See my siggy ;)

Height: 5'8"

In addition to beer, which we are starting to cover over in the Men's section, I am absolutely hooked on Icebreakers sugar free cool mints (1 calorie each). I smoked for ten years then used Nictotine lozenges to give up for three years and got hooked on them instead. The icebreakers got me off the lozenges.

I can see that my diet is gonna be a bit like that...
IanG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2013, 09:23 PM   #20  

S/C/G: 152/cw 147/gw 135/ugw 130

Height: 5'7''

Quote:
Originally Posted by Silverfire View Post
bubblybarrister Ulcers sound terrible! I hope I never have those.

Super not trying to scare you - sorry if I did! I think you're probably fine as long as your stomach feels fine! I felt really ill when I had irritations in my stomach lining and had to cut out all acidic foods to prevent them from turning into full blown ulcers. As long as you're not nauseous/experiencing a lot of acid reflux, I'm sure you're fine. Your body will let you know if it isn't cool with red bull!
bubblybarrister is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2013, 10:19 AM   #21  

Quote:
Originally Posted by bubblybarrister View Post
Super not trying to scare you - sorry if I did! I think you're probably fine as long as your stomach feels fine! I felt really ill when I had irritations in my stomach lining and had to cut out all acidic foods to prevent them from turning into full blown ulcers. As long as you're not nauseous/experiencing a lot of acid reflux, I'm sure you're fine. Your body will let you know if it isn't cool with red bull!
No no! Don't worry, you didn't scare me. I have some friends who have chronic ulcers and know how bad it can affect them. I am glad that you have yours under control and are steering clear of ulcer-land
Old 02-26-2013, 10:23 AM   #22  

Quote:
Originally Posted by IanG View Post
In addition to beer, which we are starting to cover over in the Men's section, I am absolutely hooked on Icebreakers sugar free cool mints (1 calorie each). I smoked for ten years then used Nictotine lozenges to give up for three years and got hooked on them instead. The icebreakers got me off the lozenges.

I can see that my diet is gonna be a bit like that...
I think my red bull dependency is directly related to quitting smoking. I had always done both, but Smoked far more more regularly than I drank red bull at the time, when I quit smoking I still found myself needing to stop at the store on the way to work or whatever, and instead of getting smokes I would get a couple red bull. (An equally as expensive habit I might add, finally I have learned to buy them by the case and on sale!)

Those icebreakers are pretty dang tasty too, my coworkers always have those at their desks!! And are always willing to share

And I know what you mean, it seems to be a lot of replacing a bad addiction with a good one (or just less bad )

Last edited by Silverfire; 02-26-2013 at 10:24 AM.
Old 02-26-2013, 12:14 PM   #23  

S/C/G: 164/see ticker/125

Height: 5 feet even

Addictions usually are not 'fixed' they are usually replaced. Which is not inherently bad or negative, really.

My boyfriend runs a drug and alcohol rehab facility and also does recovery counseling. He also is over ten years sober himself (from Alcohol).

Naturally, we always talk a lot of addictions and the ones that interests me are the 'non' addictions, the 'normal' stuff people are addicted to, not just the drugs and alcohol that we think of when we think addictions.

When he and I first got together I used to think, 'this guy can eat more sweets than anyone I have ever met'. He doesn't overeat specifically and he's not really that heavy (6' 2" and 230lbs) but he can sit down and eat 2 huge honey buns and a pack of pop tarts as a 'treat'. I would be ill if I tried to do that.

When I asked him about it, he said almost all former addicts are sweet/caffeine junkies. Scientifically a 'sugar high' is similar, though to a lesser degree, than that of a drug high. Also, big addictions among former addicts are smoking and drinking mt. dew.

Our bodies don't like to give up addiction highs, so we tend to look for other things that supply similar feelings that are more socially acceptable.

Not that all that matters much, but I do find it interesting.

It's also why a lot of people that go on diets and do massive life changes can become addicted to working out. It's the only part of their life that is giving their body that 'high' that they miss, so their body starts craving that.

Admittedly, my addictions do not tend to be exercise. LOL
Katydid77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2013, 12:19 PM   #24  

Wow Katydid77 That really makes a whole lot of sense! In my mind I would gladly trade a Red Bull addiction for a gym addiction , but in real life... I don't think I am ready for that yet! Someday. I know I have at least a few more addictions that I am probably not too proud of, perhaps I can trade most of them up for a gym addiction! I doubt it works that way though.. Oh well.
Old 02-26-2013, 12:28 PM   #25  

S/C/G: 335/see ticker/135

Height: 5'7 -171ish cm

I'm addicted to diet pepsi. Ive tried to quit it a few times. Butttt yea. At least its zero cals. I drink 3 cans a day, sometimes four if its a stressful day.
CherryQuinn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2013, 12:42 PM   #26  

I could never do the diet soda... (cept the red bull of course ) I could never handle the intense aspartame flavors, so just stick to the red bull and skip the pop in general now! It's hard though, a couple of cubes over, every morning, as soon as one of my coworkers is in, he cracks a pop. Even just the sound makes me drool a little LOL. One time I had to get just a sip because I could smell it!
Old 02-26-2013, 12:46 PM   #27  

S/C/G: 303/ticker/169

Height: 5'5"

Quote:
Originally Posted by CherryQuinn View Post
I'm addicted to diet pepsi. Ive tried to quit it a few times. Butttt yea. At least its zero cals. I drink 3 cans a day, sometimes four if its a stressful day.
Diet pepsi has been mine as well. It's the one thing I've been allowing myself without limit since I started my plan. This is terrible, but when I started counting I realized I was drinking at least SEVEN a day. Ugh...that can't be good.

Starting last week, I've since cut down to 2, drinking 1 in the morning and 1 during dinner. I "forced" the change on myself by not bringing any to work with me, just a Nalgene bottle. I do miss it though...
Fit dad 2b is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2013, 12:46 PM   #28  

I'm drinking my XL black Dunkin' Donuts coffee with 2 Sweet & Lows while reading about all your drink addictions!

If I want to be really bad, I'll ask my husband to bring another one home when he gets out of work.

I swear they do add crack to these coffees because when I brew my own at home with their beans, it's hardly as heavenly.
elvislover324 is offline   Reply With Quote