Old 02-25-2013, 06:13 PM   #1  
IP Start Date: 28Feb2013

S/C/G: 328.8/207.4/180

Height: 6'0"

Question Ok, so how bad did you REALLY feel?

So I just found out that I will be weighing in this Wednesday evening which means that I will start IP on Thursday. From countless others stories, I can expect the first three-four days to be a beast.

I am really nervous because I have work (at a High School) from 6:30am-2:30pm on Thursday and Friday. On Thursday I have graduate school from 4-6 without any opportunity to go home, and on Friday I have graduate school from 4-8, also without any opportunity to go home. Saturday is what I am most worried about: I have a graduate class from 7am-5pm! Yikes!

Since Thursday, Friday, and Saturday will be blech days, I am freaking out because of my packed schedule! I think that I am the most nervous about my hypoglycemia. I have dropped down into such low blood sugar before that I have passed out and I am afraid for that to happen again! I don't want to try the Alternative Protocol for at least a month to see if IP straightens out my pancreas.

I understand that I can have a fourth packet the first week, which I am sure I will do, but can I have more vegetables (not lettuce) in addition to my four cups?

Also, any words of wisdom? Was there anything that especially comforted you during your beast phase?
HillaryJH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2013, 06:23 PM   #2  
Started IP 12-26-2012

Height: 5'7"

Quote:
Originally Posted by HillaryJH View Post
So I just found out that I will be weighing in this Wednesday evening which means that I will start IP on Thursday. From countless others stories, I can expect the first three-four days to be a beast.

I am really nervous because I have work (at a High School) from 6:30am-2:30pm on Thursday and Friday. On Thursday I have graduate school from 4-6 without any opportunity to go home, and on Friday I have graduate school from 4-8, also without any opportunity to go home. Saturday is what I am most worried about: I have a graduate class from 7am-5pm! Yikes!

Since Thursday, Friday, and Saturday will be blech days, I am freaking out because of my packed schedule! I think that I am the most nervous about my hypoglycemia. I have dropped down into such low blood sugar before that I have passed out and I am afraid for that to happen again! I don't want to try the Alternative Protocol for at least a month to see if IP straightens out my pancreas.

I understand that I can have a fourth packet the first week, which I am sure I will do, but can I have more vegetables (not lettuce) in addition to my four cups?

Also, any words of wisdom? Was there anything that especially comforted you during your beast phase?
Is there any way you could actually start on Friday instead of Thursday?

The first day I was just hungry. It was second and third day that I was hungry, grouchy as all get out, and had a pretty severe headache. By day 4 I was starting to feel a little more normal.

If you have hypoglycemia, you must keep a high carb restricted item with you at all times. I am diabetic, and experienced a couple low blood sugars the first 2 weeks. Dizzy, slurring, etc... Luckily my daughter was there and knew what to do. I do not even eat the restricted items, but I keep 2 bars in my purse at all times "just in case" I fall low and don't have access to anything else.

Welcome to IP, and it does get easier after the first week. I really would talk to your coach about starting on Friday, just to get the worst to hit you over the weekend.
leannekarella is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2013, 06:26 PM   #3  
Working to be an after!

S/C/G: 269/151.6/149

Height: 5'2''

So the worst part for me was a really bad headache on day 2 and 3. Aleve and tylenol helped a ton. I also made sure to get extra salt, and lot's of water. I think it was mostly related to giving up the soda my body was so used to having throughout the day. Day 4 the headache was gone, and I felt pretty decent. I didn't have any other symptoms. Some people say they feel like they have the flu, but it's just a small percent of people. I didn't feel that bad. I expected it to be way worse than it was. To tell you the truth, the absolute worst part was all the bathroom trips, while my body got used to the extra water. So annoying!!
crazynette826 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2013, 06:34 PM   #4  

Quote:
Originally Posted by leannekarella View Post
Is there any way you could actually start on Friday instead of Thursday?
Do you thing it would be all right to start Friday even though my weigh in will always be Wednesday?
Old 02-25-2013, 06:42 PM   #5  
Started IP 1/10/13

S/C/G: 220/see ticker/135

Height: 5'3"

I am so thankful that I started on a Friday. Saturday, I was supposed to be in training all day, but I left at noon because I couldn't take the pounding headache and nausea in public. I spent all day in bed. Sunday, I had a residual but manageable headache. Monday, I was 100%.

I wouldn't worry about what day you weigh in. Just expect that first loss to be a little lower than it would have otherwise been, but you'll have a full week the second week.
Ojenchilada is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2013, 06:44 PM   #6  

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ojenchilada View Post
I wouldn't worry about what day you weigh in. Just expect that first loss to be a little lower than it would have otherwise been, but you'll have a full week the second week.
Ok, thank you for sharing your experience.

Would anyone be able to tell me whether or not it is acceptable to eat extra veggies (not lettuce) if I feel super hungry?
Old 02-25-2013, 06:58 PM   #7  
Diane on track July 2014

S/C/G: 230/221/180

Height: 5'6"

I know you're excited to get started BUT you want to be successful so don't set yourself up for stress and failure. There is no reason why you can't cut back on bread etc. before starting and start on a day that works for you. I'm getting stressed just reading your schedule LOL. Lisa will tell you she lurked here for 8 months before starting. This gave her lots of time to read, think about what she needed to do etc. Do your weigh in Wednesday and then start taking your supplements, trying to get your water all in, and cut back on some carbs so you start to get into the zone. Have a chicken breast on your salad or whatever. You'll be in good shape to start full tilt on Fri or Sat and so what if you're not doing a first full week. You're on this journey for a few months. It's "small potatoes" (or even small cauliflower) in your IP journey.
Good luck next week -- sounds busy! We're here when you have time to check in.
BTW I also gave up caffeine coffee those first 3 days. Figured if I felt like crap, it may as well be a one time deal. Now I can drink all the decaf I like without having to drink down extra water. And speakin' of which, my French Vanilla Decaf is calling my name right now....mmmm....

As for extra veggies, SOME coaches say celery, cukes, and dill pickles are free. Others say no to that. But if you need extra something, stick to ones like that rather than having an extra restricted or something

Last edited by IP43; 02-25-2013 at 07:01 PM.
IP43 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2013, 07:13 PM   #8  
Started IP 7/9/12

S/C/G: 224/135/133

Height: 5'5"

I agree with IP43. You might want to consider delaying the start, and cutting down on carbs for a week first. It helps to reduce the withdrawal symptoms when you do start.

I spent most of day's 2-4 sleeping, because I was exhausted, had a head-ache, nauseous, light headed at times and feverish. I think my symptoms were really bad because I used to eat a ton of carbs, especially the 10 days before starting IP because I was on vacation.
ragdoll74 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2013, 07:20 PM   #9  
Diane on track July 2014

S/C/G: 230/221/180

Height: 5'6"

Quote:
Originally Posted by ragdoll74 View Post
I agree with IP43. You might want to consider delaying the start, and cutting down on carbs for a week first. It helps to reduce the withdrawal symptoms when you do start.

I spent most of day's 2-4 sleeping, because I was exhausted, had a head-ache, nauseous, light headed at times and feverish. I think my symptoms were really bad because I used to eat a ton of carbs, especially the 10 days before starting IP because I was on vacation.
LOL -- you agree with me a lot Ragdoll! That's why I like you so much (hee hee) Listen to Ragdoll -- not because she agrees with me, but look at her FANTASTIC numbers! She knows what she's talking about (says IP43 who is a little with envy - in a loving way)
IP43 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2013, 07:30 PM   #10  
Started IP 12-26-2012

Height: 5'7"

Quote:
Do you thing it would be all right to start Friday even though my weigh in will always be Wednesday?
My first weigh in was a Monday and I didn't start till Wed. Your first weigh in might not be all you're hoping for, because you lost a couple of days, but you'll all be on track by the following week.
leannekarella is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2013, 07:38 PM   #11  

Quote:
I recommend it!

Quote:
Ok, thank you for sharing your experience.

Would anyone be able to tell me whether or not it is acceptable to eat extra veggies (not lettuce) if I feel super hungry?
I have to ask why you keep saying "not lettuce"
Lettuce is unlimited! It will be your friend! Besides, you can tell if it is truly hunger if lettuce helps. If it is just your head wanting to eat, lettuce won't usually satisfy.
Romaine leaves will make you feel like you're eating right off a tree
Lets look at ways to stay ON plan, rather than how to change the plan.

You can also have 0/0/0 items (fat/carbs/sugar). 2 egg whites/ day fit this description. Some scrambled egg whites with some veggies is a great snack. Cooked veggies fill me up better than raw.

My coach allowed me 3-5 packets my first week. I think I had an extra on 2 separate days. I suggest planning ahead without causing yourself a bunch of stress.

Last edited by lisa32989; 02-25-2013 at 08:02 PM.
lisa32989 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2013, 07:42 PM   #12  
Started IP 12/6/12

S/C/G: 174/137/134

Height: 5'8"

I was grumpy and had a headache on days 3 and 4 but I've certainly worked through a lot worse - and worked through that as well. I just would say I wasn't at my best!

ETA: I had forgotten about this until Lisa mentioned about the packets ... I was using 4 per day at the very beginning and I think that helped.

Last edited by bubbleblower; 02-25-2013 at 07:46 PM.
bubbleblower is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2013, 07:56 PM   #13  

Quote:
Originally Posted by lisa32989 View Post
I have to ask why you keep saying "not lettuce"
I keep saying "not lettuce" because I know it is unlimited and I wanted to specific yes or no answer as to whether or not I could eat regular veggies.

I do believe that I will hold off until Friday. This makes me feel MUCH better. I know I will be a beast on Saturday during my 7-5 class, but that is life!

Thank you ladies!
Old 02-25-2013, 08:01 PM   #14  
Started IP 7/9/12

S/C/G: 224/135/133

Quote:
Originally Posted by IP43 View Post
LOL -- you agree with me a lot Ragdoll! That's why I like you so much (hee hee) Listen to Ragdoll -- not because she agrees with me, but look at her FANTASTIC numbers! She knows what she's talking about (says IP43 who is a little with envy - in a loving way)
I just want to make sure you don't forget about me when it comes time to send out the invites for the IP Cruise.
ragdoll74 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2013, 08:06 PM   #15  
Started IP 3/26/12

[QUOTEDo you thing it would be all right to start Friday even though my weigh in will always be Wednesday?][/QUOTE]

Definitely - in fact I'd postpone it longer still and wait to start on Sunday. If I'm understanding your schedule right, it sounds like your heaviest 3 day stretch of the week is Thurs/Fri/Saturday. And those are the very three days when you may well feel the worst as your body adapts to the lower level of carbs and works towards getting into ketosis. I can't help but think that you're potentially making things harder on yourself than they need to be if you start during that time. Especially since you have a history of hypoglycemia. Why you don't wait, get that busy 3-day stretch behind you, and start on Sunday? As others have said you can cut back on carbs somewhat on Thurs/Fri/Saturday in preparation for jumping 100% into the diet on Sunday. Then you'll have Sunday/Mon/Tues/Wedn to get into ketosis (which the majority of people do within that number of days) before your next busy 3-day stretch rolls around again. You'll have many WIs coming up in the months ahead... don't worry about whether your first WI covers a period of 7 - or 10 - days. It will all even out. Start on the day of the week that YOU prefer and that will make the transition the easiest and least stressful for you.

Last edited by evepet; 02-25-2013 at 08:24 PM.
evepet is offline   Reply With Quote