Old 02-24-2013, 07:09 PM   #1  
Trying to be in the 160s

S/C/G: See my siggy ;)

Height: 5'8"

Default I'm in

Hello. I saw this forum and just before leaving spotted the (rather quiet) men's corner which looks good to me, so I joined.

Two weeks ago I hit 280lbs and for some reason (no reason) decided to go on a diet. Nothing special, just eating smarter (smaller dinners, no junk) and doing what I always do (drinking - sometimes a little too much - walking to work and fixing the house at the weekend).

Well, the eating smarter bit seems to be working and two weeks in I am now 268lbs. And I am starting to feel better.

So, time for a support group. I see a lot of you take this very scientifically and have a target weight. How do I get one of those? I am about 5'8".
IanG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2013, 08:09 PM   #2  

Height: 5'8.5"

Hello and We have quite a few guys around here, so you will fit right in, and not only in the men's corner. Please feel free to just jump right in, although there might be some sections that could turn your ears pink.

By "target weight" do you mean the weight tickers at the bottom of our posts? If so you have to be here a minimum number of days (21?) and make a minimum number of posts (21?) before you can get it. After that, just click on "User CP" at the top left and "Edit Signature" and follow the instructions there.
Misti in Seattle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2013, 08:17 PM   #3  
Trying to be in the 160s

Thanks for the warm welcome and for the ticker advice. I was also thinking about that.

However, while my immediate goal is 250lbs, I have got absolutely no idea how much a man of my build and height "should" (if there is a should) weigh as I have always been big and have never really used the scales until now. Can you get information like that?
Old 02-24-2013, 08:56 PM   #4  
Super Moderator

S/C/G: 239/173/165

Height: 5'9"

Welcome IanG -

Don't know if there's a convincing weigh you "should" be, but it's super neat that you have a finite visible goal of 250. When you reach that, there'll be time to make another decision.

Glad you've joined us.
BillBlueEyes is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2013, 02:43 AM   #5  

S/C/G: See sig...

Height: 5'8

Hey!

Yeah I, like you, have been giving myself smaller (20 lbs) goals. When I reach one, I just tick down the bottom ticker 20ish lbs and keep on going. Save for the past 2 days (Best friend is back in town, so him and I have been celebrating with some heavy dinners) I have just been eating lighter and kinda "exorcising" they way I always have meaning walkign to work and whatever misc stuff I get done around the house.

I have dropped from the 280s into the 240s but have hit a bit of a plateu. I keep bouncing from 247ish to 245ish and I am a little frustrated but pulling through it.

The bottom line is welcome to the forum, and with all the men showing up here maybe the Men's Corner will get a little more active.

Also Misti is right, but I think the minimum amount of time is actually shorter, more like a week of time and 5 posts then you are allowed a ticker. I don't know if a ticker is "for" you but I personally love it, there is a feeling od satisfaction when you inch it down little by little.
Bluejaybythesea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2013, 08:30 PM   #6  
Trying to be in the 160s

Thanks, and the ticker looks neat.

I can see the social side of things is also gonna be tricky for me. With the weight going down, the confidence goes up and so do the restaurant dinners and drinks. Catch 22. I went for a big lunch today with a new friend and had a couple of glasses of wine. I think I will skip or do a light dinner to make up for that tonight and check the scales tomorrow. But I will need to watch the nights out.

I notice you're my height Bluejaybythesea and started off at a weight very similar to my starting weight. I'm feeling the difference about 14 pounds down with a lot more energy, a bit less around the waist (looser pants) and a (slightly) thinner face. It must be great to get below 250. How does it feel down there?