Mini-Goals Even if you're not at goal yet, this is the place to share your successes and achievements along the way! Success can be measured in many ways besides the scales. Tell us about your triumphs, including Non Scale Victories

Old 02-23-2013, 06:55 PM   #1  

Height: 5'2"

Default NSV- I'm never shopping at Avenue again!

Last night, I noticed that my jeans seemed unattractively baggy. A brief consultation with my boyfriend confirmed as much.

The pants I was wearing had been from Avenue, and were size 18W which is actually one of the smaller sizes they carry. And the day I bought them, the witchy women who work at my local store were very mean to my boyfriend which gave me an even more personal reason to not want to give them any more money. I have trouble shopping at Lane Bryant because everything is so LONG. I'm only 5'2" in shoes, so I hate to spend $40 (or more) on blue jeans only to trample the hems off.

So, hoping not to throw any more money at that Avenue, and knowing I can't do Lane Bryant, we ran out to Old Navy.

Sisters, not only did I manage to buy two pairs of jeans that fit me gorgeously, they weren't even the largest size in there.

I know Old Navy does vanity sizing, but I don't care since the sizing of women's clothing is more or less arbitrary anyway. The victory is that I have a great pair of jeans from a non-plus-size store for the first time in years. I did a happy dance from the dressing room, to the cash register, to the car. I looked a total fool and didn't even care!
HelloNurse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2013, 07:28 PM   #2  

So happy for you!! All you ladies are making me want to stop by Old Navy and at least TRY!
elvislover324 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2013, 09:54 PM   #3  

Height: 5'2"

Do it! Looking at your numbers, I think you'll be able to find something. I don't care about vanity sizing, or the number on the tag. It feels so good to walk out of a normal store with some clothes that I loved. I got two pairs of jeans and a stack of shirts for about 80 bucks; shopping at plus-size stores it's easy to spend that on just the pants! Old Navy used to be always my favorite place to stock up on wardrobe basics cheaply. You can find shirts for like 3-8 bucks, easily.

I swear I do not work, nor am I sponsored by Old Navy.
HelloNurse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2013, 10:06 PM   #4  

Height: 5'8.5"

Last edited by Misti in Seattle; 02-23-2013 at 10:06 PM.
Misti in Seattle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2013, 01:17 AM   #5  
I'm bringing sexy back!

S/C/G: 242/234.5/167

Height: 5'5"

Super yay!!!!
Mozzy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2013, 03:37 AM   #6  
pick your hard

S/C/G: 240/192/145

Oh the joy of shopping at a 'regular' store!

Last edited by Kitcherella; 02-24-2013 at 03:39 AM.
Kitcherella is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2013, 01:56 PM   #7  

S/C/G: 396/351/160

Height: 5'7"

A regular store??????? Wait, I'm sure that my brain will eventually remember what one of those is! Congratulations. Happy dance all day!
betsy2013 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2013, 03:56 PM   #8  

Wahoo!

What does NSV mean?
Kaitie9399 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2013, 03:39 PM   #9  
Trying to get healthy

S/C/G: 158/158/125

Height: 5'1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaitie9399 View Post
Wahoo!

What does NSV mean?
Non Scale Victory!!

Congratulations!!!
butterflyphreek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2013, 03:56 PM   #10  
Starting over sucks.

S/C/G: 485/445/250

Height: 6'1

Woohoo!

You've inspired me! I recently put on a couple 2X tops I got as goal shirts at Salvation Army, and now I'm almost ready to dip my toes into the normal size shops here I know that carry tops in those sizes.
Radiojane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2013, 04:02 PM   #11  

Quote:
Originally Posted by HelloNurse View Post
Do it! Looking at your numbers, I think you'll be able to find something. I don't care about vanity sizing, or the number on the tag. It feels so good to walk out of a normal store with some clothes that I loved. I got two pairs of jeans and a stack of shirts for about 80 bucks; shopping at plus-size stores it's easy to spend that on just the pants! Old Navy used to be always my favorite place to stock up on wardrobe basics cheaply. You can find shirts for like 3-8 bucks, easily.

I swear I do not work, nor am I sponsored by Old Navy.
You inspired me to try on the Old Navy jeans again that I got from the Goodwill about 6 weeks ago (for a whopping $2.50!). When I tried them on when I bought them, couldn't even get up the zipper nevermind wear them. A couple of weeks ago I wore them out to the store quick but they were still a bit tight. Yesterday I wore them all day long!!! Because of you I was brave enough to try them again!! And now there will be a shopping trip to Old Navy this week to try on some more, whoo hoo! (I'm totally blaming you too when I come home with bags and my husband asks why I went against my own decision to not buy any clothes for a while lol!!!)
elvislover324 is offline   Reply With Quote