Old 02-23-2013, 07:42 PM   #1  

Default discouraged

I am on my 5th week of IP and I want to quit. I have lost 14lbs total which is great but each week I lose less and less (1st-7; 2nd- 3; 3rd- 2; 4th- 2). I have followed the plan correctly-- veggies water protein vitamins. On my 3rd week they told me to eat an extra package but my body still isn't happy. I guess the most frustrating is that I don't feel good. I am hungry. I am grumpy and short with people. I am bleeding outside of my TOM. I am tired. I get headaches. I am spending gazzilions of dollars on food I hate. And I pretty much don't look forward to any meals.

The good thing is that I look better which is the whole point but I am conflicted with being so miserable. I have cried a few times.

Now I feel week 5 is shot (weigh in Tuesday) because I ate two restricted items yesterday and today. I was hungry and I ate them because they are the only truely good things and now I am mad at myself and thinking that this week will be no loss.

Thanks for letting me share my frustration. I have visited this group several times for inspiration but never posted. I think I have just reached a new low. The only reason I feel I have to stay on it is the pantry full of expensive food staring at me. At 2lbs a week maybe weight watchers or calories counting is better for me.
JJharris29 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2013, 08:09 PM   #2  
Reboot 9/2014

S/C/G: 198.6/173/165

Height: 5' 8"

OK - first of all, BREATHE.

You have lost 14lbs in 4 weeks! That is amazing. You have to remember that you are NOT going to see huge numbers on the scale every week - once your body adjusts to the diet you should average between 2-3lbs per week, which is exactly where you are at. You are not only following the plan, you are losing at the correct rate.

If you've read through the threads, you may have seen that spotting/wacky TOM is TOTALLY normal on IP. Women store estrogen in their fat cells, so when we drop a lot of weight quickly that estrogen floods our systems and can wreak havoc on our cycles AND our moods. Yes, it causes us to feel PMS symptoms a LOT in the beginning too. The good news - what you're feeling and experiencing is TOTALLY expected, and once your body has normalized a little on the diet and your weight loss is in a more consistent rhythm, you wont' see those things happening as much.

You probably won't see much of an effect on the scale from eating an extra restricted a few days in a row, but I wouldn't recommend making a habit of it. There are MANY things you can do to combat hunger:

-Drink extra water or hot tea. Thirst can mask as hunger, you may just be thirsty! If you drink something and 20 minutes later you aren't hungry, you were probably really thirsty

-Use the unlimited lettuce to your advantage. You can have as much romaine, iceberg or butter lettuce as you can stomach - and can be a good indicator of whether you're dealing with REAL hunger or MENTAL hunger. If the idea of eating a bowl of lettuce isn't appealing, you may not be PHYSICALLY hungry - try distracting yourself with something you like doing, or a task that you need to get done.

-You can have 2 egg whites per day as a "freebie" (in that amount they meet the 0/0/0 rule) - sometimes a little egg white omelet is just what you need to get you over a hunger hump.

-We really shouldn't be using an extra packet beyond the first week, but if you need it choose an unrestricted. Your body may be sensitive to carbs and easy to get out of ketosis - ketosis acts as an appetite suppressant. Restricted items are higher in carbs AND calories.

You CAN do this. No, it isn't going to be easy, but nothing worthwhile is really easy Don't ever hesitate to post when you get frustrated - preferably BEFORE you grab for food - we have ALL been there and someone's experience may be just the thing that helps you push through! Good luck!
scorbett1103 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2013, 08:16 PM   #3  

Scorbett is right. It's really hard at first but you can do it. I've never had anything work for me as well as IP, it may not seem like a lot but those 2lbs add up quick and you'll reach your goal!

Good luck and remember we're all here for you!
WhoDat730 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2013, 08:34 PM   #4  
Kara - Restart 8/23/2013

S/C/G: 277.4/214/160

Height: 5' 3"

Quote:
Scorbett is right
Agree! I will tell you I was following program to a T but I started losing less and less and I was freaking out a bit. Then I realized I was not drinking a lot of water in the afternoon (from 11:00-4:00) I watched it and upped it and made a huge difference last week.

It is a lot of work, there are days I am hungry, grab some veggies or chew some gum (if water doesn't work). It's worth it, 14 lb in 4 weeks is great... I never lost 2 lb a week on Weight Watchers and I followed that plan to a T.

Find something you like on IP, it took me awhile, but I finally figured out what works for me and I am not tired of it yet.

Good luck!!
Calisto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2013, 09:40 PM   #5  
Started IP 1/14/2012

S/C/G: 286/165/169

Height: 5'9"

Congratulations on the emotions!! It is a good thing, as it means you are losing fat and with it the stored up hormones. Lots of good advice here already and explanations as to what you are feeling. You will get over it and it will get easier. You may have highs and lows on the program as we do in life.

I've had many tears on this program, some of frustration, some of joy. Hang tough and come here when you need support.
KitKat169 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2013, 09:41 PM   #6  
Started IP 7/9/12

S/C/G: 224/135/133

Height: 5'5"

I agree with everyone above. I just want to add that you might find it difficult to lose 2 lbs a week with weight watchers or just counting calories.

Try finding some non-restricted you do like and stock up on those. You can also try making something else with the non-restricted you don't like. There are tons of recipes on here that will help you transform those packets into something you look forward to eating.
ragdoll74 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2013, 11:23 PM   #7  

S/C/G: 144/138.0/118

Height: 5'0"

I feel you. I'm on my 6 th week and feeling the same as you or worse. I want out as well. This has been really hard on me
LexiChanel1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2013, 07:37 AM   #8  

Thank you for the positive remarks and for allowing me to "get it out". It is such a roller coaster - one second I feel like I am all in and the next second I would kill someone for a pizza. I am hoping because of your words I will get in the right frame of mind today and then don't have a complete break down at my weigh in on Tuesday.

Thanks again!
Old 02-24-2013, 07:42 AM   #9  

@LexiChanel1 - if I read this right you have lost 30 lbs? I will trade you! Just know that I am here being miserable with you. It is honestly the financial investment that I can't stomach walking away from just yet. While I don't feel I am at any point to offer motivation, I think the other posts were encouraging and hopefully speak to you too.

Let's try not to quit until the weather is warmer. I think when the days are longer and warmer we will be more motivated given a) it is just a happier time of year and b) the reality of summer clothing will be setting in(ie bathing suits)
Old 02-24-2013, 08:25 AM   #10  
Started IP 12/6/12

S/C/G: 174/137/134

Height: 5'8"

I agree with what the others already have posted. Your first week's loss on any ketogenic diet consists of half water, half fat. Later losses are primarily fat, so it's normal for the losses to be slower. It's unrealistic to expect a 7 pound loss every week.

At the beginning, my emotions were all over the place, as was my energy level. Things have really evened out now, although my weight loss is pretty slow. The great thing about IP is knowing that as long as you stick to the plan, you *will* lose the weight. It's never as fast or as easy as we want it to be, but it works.

Keep up the good work!
bubbleblower is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2013, 08:45 AM   #11  

S/C/G: H253/219/177.4/150

Height: 5'4

It can also be your hormones releasing making you feel this way. I just watched a video talking about as we lose fat it releases hormones that can make us feel very emotional.
bellasamimom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2013, 09:03 AM   #12  

Such great advice and support here!

I just finished my 8th week and I gained 1.6 this week. I know it was not really a "gain" since I have been on program 100% and at WI they said my water was up, fat was down and I showed a 3.6 pound gain in muscle. Plus all my clothes are getting bigger and bigger. I have a physician's scale at home and this morning I showed a good loss that I did not show yesterday morning. Whatever, your weight is not static number and other factors apply. I made a commitment to myself, and I have more stamina than letting these little disappointments sway me from my goal to lose weight and feel better.

I look at your numbers and I think you are doing great! Hang in there!
goldilocksinct is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2013, 09:05 AM   #13  

S/C/G: 182/150/144

Height: 5'2.5"

Quote:
Originally Posted by JJharris29 View Post
I am on my 5th week of IP and I want to quit. I have lost 14lbs total which is great but each week I lose less and less (1st-7; 2nd- 3; 3rd- 2; 4th- 2). I have followed the plan correctly-- veggies water protein vitamins. On my 3rd week they told me to eat an extra package but my body still isn't happy. I guess the most frustrating is that I don't feel good. I am hungry. I am grumpy and short with people. I am bleeding outside of my TOM. I am tired. I get headaches. I am spending gazzilions of dollars on food I hate. And I pretty much don't look forward to any meals.

The good thing is that I look better which is the whole point but I am conflicted with being so miserable. I have cried a few times.

Now I feel week 5 is shot (weigh in Tuesday) because I ate two restricted items yesterday and today. I was hungry and I ate them because they are the only truely good things and now I am mad at myself and thinking that this week will be no loss.

Thanks for letting me share my frustration. I have visited this group several times for inspiration but never posted. I think I have just reached a new low. The only reason I feel I have to stay on it is the pantry full of expensive food staring at me. At 2lbs a week maybe weight watchers or calories counting is better for me.
I do think that IP is harder on some people's body than others. Everybody is different and responds differently. You didn't say how much you have to lose, but my guess is your losses are well within the normal range. Slowing down of losses is normal for everyone. Don't compare your losses with others, they may have more to lose than you, and/or their body and journey may just be different. I am someone for whom IP has been very hard. I've compared notes with others I know on IP and their journey was so much easier, but all the people I know who have done IP have been men. Men don't have to deal with the hormonal side of IP like women do. The hormonal aspect of IP was very bad for me the first 4 months, I feel very bad for my family because of it because I was a bear. But it was more than just hormones, it was that I never felt good, never had enough energy, plus the hormonal issues.

I too felt really bad, didn't have enough energy to get through the day. People said it would get better and it never did until two things happened: I switched to phase 2 which is essentially like phase 1 only you eat real meat at 2 meals instead of 1. I'm hypoglycemic and my body was processing the energy from packets too fast, leaving me with no energy. The energy from real meat lasted longer. Also, I switched my "real" meals to breakfast and lunch, I needed the protein earlier in the day to get through the day. Second, I went on the alternative protocol for diabetics/hypoglycemics. This version of IP allows you to have one food item from bread, fruit, and dairy each day. It keeps you out of ketosis. In retrospect, it would have been better for me to be on the alternative protocol from the start. I didn't see a slow down in my losses from either phase 2 or alternative (though IP does say most folks will lose a little more slowly on the alternative.) I just don't think my body did well in ketosis and alternative was a better match for me. I'm six lbs from goal but currently in maintenance because of another complication, hair loss, I'm one of the unlucky few hit by extreme hair loss. Thought it was slowing earlier this week, but even with the slowing I'm still losing about 2 to 3 times the normal amount of hair daily. This doesn't happen to most people, like I said, IP isn't the same experience for everyone.

If you want to try to stick it out on IP, alternative protocol and/or phase II are some things you can consider and discuss with your coach. Alternative protocol is also recommended by IP for anyone who feels they can't tolerate the normal protocol and will consequently cheat. The thought is that the alternative protocol is better than leaving the diet altogether. Phase II is sometimes used by people who just can't tolerate/stand the packets...it gives a bit more "real" protein and reduces your packets by one per day. Best of luck to you in whatever you decide. I hope you find what works for you and has you feeling better soon.
Nolawhodatchick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2013, 02:24 PM   #14  

S/C/G: 219/Start IP at 206/172/135

Height: 5 feet 3 inches

Default so encouraging

I just love these posts. They are so inspiring. I too have felt the emotions much more than I do normally.

I do believe this program. To me any loss is great as training for weeks at a time before I lost even half a pound was extremely discouraging.

Any time I feel ike cheating or get discouraged, I open up these forums and so many wonderful people encourage you and make it better. I think these forums are a huge part of success.

Thanks everyone for your wonderful insight. It is greatly appreciated
ginettepv is offline   Reply With Quote