Old 02-22-2013, 08:42 PM   #1  

Smile Getting started Type II Insulin Resistant

Hi all,
My doctor suggested this program for me several months ago, but had to get in the right place/space to be serious. I thank you all for your thoughtful and informational posts. I learned more about IP here than in research many other places (in fact when I met with my coach this week, I could almost tell her the guidelines)

Since I am Type II insulin dependent/ and highly insulin resistant I a bit nervous about the lows. Just wanted to see if anyone else has had this experience.

Also I have seen so many great recipes here, just not sure how to account for this in terms of the diet.

Thank you all already for your inspirational stories!!
beepure is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2013, 09:04 PM   #2  
Embracing the suck

S/C/G: 300/234/abs

Height: 6'9"

When on insulin or other diabetes meds (also blood pressure medication) one needs to be VERY cautious with a PSMF type of diet.

Bottom line is you will lose fat so fast you'll need to have careful monitoring of your meds.
JohnP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2013, 11:03 PM   #3  

S/C/G: 328.2/205/178

Height: 5'8"

I was diabetic when I started and was off insulin completely in 10 days. I probably should have come off earlier but it was hard to get in to see my doctor for advice on what to do next - thankfully I got her on the phone and we started titrating down until I was completely off.

I was monitoring my sugars very closely and did go quite hypo once. Had to have a bar as it was all that was around. Not cool.

Test a lot, adjust as necessary, and stay in close contact with your doctor. The benefits are totally worth it! I'm no longer on any medication for diabetes - none - and have had textbook A1C's without it for 9 months now.

Good luck!
IPdivajen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2013, 12:22 AM   #4  
Started IP 12-26-2012

Height: 5'7"

Quote:
Originally Posted by beepure View Post
Hi all,
My doctor suggested this program for me several months ago, but had to get in the right place/space to be serious. I thank you all for your thoughtful and informational posts. I learned more about IP here than in research many other places (in fact when I met with my coach this week, I could almost tell her the guidelines)

Since I am Type II insulin dependent/ and highly insulin resistant I a bit nervous about the lows. Just wanted to see if anyone else has had this experience.

Also I have seen so many great recipes here, just not sure how to account for this in terms of the diet.

Thank you all already for your inspirational stories!!
Do you have a coach or clinic you are doing this through? As an insulin dependent, you should be on the alternative protocol, made for Type I and Type II insulin dependent diabetics. You need to NOT go into ketosis, because your blood sugars will drop too fast. Alternative protocol, you will lose but not go into ketosis, so the losses are slower, but it is proven to work.

I actually started this diet BECAUSE my doctor told me it was time to start using insulin and this was my last ditch effort to avoid that.

I do not know the specifics of alternative protocol, but seriously, you need to learn them if you are taking insulin. Do not start the diet until you are clear on the nutritional requirements...it's dangerous.
leannekarella is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2013, 07:58 AM   #5  
IP Start Date 8/31/2012

S/C/G: 250/119/124

When I started this diet August 31, I was taking 160 units per day of Lantus and 35 per day of a fast acting (Apidra). I was off both completely within 20 days. The dropoff is VERY rapid. You need a doctor's help with this, preferably one that is experienced with this type of diet. They told me to reduce down 60% immediately, but that was not enough, you will still get low with that. Good luck and monitor a lot!
AlisonS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2013, 09:53 AM   #6  

S/C/G: 328.2/205/178

Height: 5'8"

I thought the alternative protocol was just for type I diabetics? I've been on the standard one the whole time in consultation with my coach (who's incredibly knowledgeable) and my doctor. I've been in ketosis the entire time I've been on the program and have been okay across the board.
IPdivajen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2013, 11:19 AM   #7  
Started IP 12-26-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by IPdivajen View Post
I thought the alternative protocol was just for type I diabetics? I've been on the standard one the whole time in consultation with my coach (who's incredibly knowledgeable) and my doctor. I've been in ketosis the entire time I've been on the program and have been okay across the board.
Since you quit taking insulin so early on, you probably avoided all the issues.

It "can" be very dangerous to be taking insulin and in ketosis.

Glad it worked so well for you!!!
Old 02-23-2013, 07:05 PM   #8  

Thank you so much! I've just picked up a few boxes of one-touch strips and starting on Monday to keep in touch with doctor.

This makes me look forward to getting started even more!
Old 02-23-2013, 07:07 PM   #9  

Went through endocrinologist to begin this program. Doctor's office is working closely with coaches office
Old 02-23-2013, 08:30 PM   #10  
Started IP 12-26-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by beepure View Post
Went through endocrinologist to begin this program. Doctor's office is working closely with coaches office
That's great!