Old 02-22-2013, 10:42 AM   #1  

S/C/G: 219/146.0/142

Height: 5'7"

Default Should I move to Phase 3? Getting discouraged.

Hi all,

I have been doing IP 100% since the end of August. Recently, my losses have slowed. Nothing has changed with my diet and I feel like I am finally over all the illnesses that have been plaguing my family since school started in September.

I really miss exercising, and my coach moved me to Phase 2 two weeks ago so that I can get to Phase 3 and start doing some cardio and strength training. However, I am having some doubts. I am so close to goal, but the slowdown has been discouraging, and I am afraid I am going to just start cheating if I push myself any further.

So, I guess I am just asking for some advice. Do you think I should stick it out in Phase 2? Move back to Phase 1? Or try and lose while exercising in Phase 3? Has anyone continued to lose (even very slowly, while in Phase 3 or 4)?

Thanks all!
sharrow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2013, 10:50 AM   #2  
Reboot 9/2014

S/C/G: 198.6/173/165

Height: 5' 8"

You are really the only one who can answer that question. You are within a few pounds of the goal you set, and the closer you are to goal the slower your weight is going to come off anyway - the gap between the calories you are eating and the calories your body needs to function is much smaller.

For me, I was much less concerned about the number on the scale (which is going to fluctuate even in maintenance) than how I felt. Was I at a size I felt I could maintain without killing myself? Did I feel good? Did I feel mentally and emotionally ready to take on P3 and maintenance? When I could answer yes to all of those questions, I started P3. I'm 5 days in, I've been to the gym 3 of those days doing much more intense workouts than before, the scale has stayed the same and I'm absolutely happy with my decision.
scorbett1103 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2013, 10:56 AM   #3  

S/C/G: 180/148.0/160

Height: 5'11"

I continued to lose in phase 2 but not phase 3. I walked throughout phase 1 and 2, but restarted vigorous exercise in phase 3. I think that adding the exercise is very beneficial mentally and physically, but I don't think it helps to lose weight on this plan. For me, I really think that it was beneficial to wait to exercise until I was ready to accept the water weight that comes with vigorous exercise and adding back carbs.
gazelle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2013, 10:57 AM   #4  
Started IP 7/9/12

S/C/G: 224/135/133

Height: 5'5"

You are so close to goal!!!! Congrats on your 72 lb loss so far.

As discouraging as the slow losses are, it's still quicker than trying to lose more in phase 3 or 4. If you are happy with your current weight you might want to phase out. If you want to lose more, try to stick with phase 2 or 1.

Check out the reboot thread. There are some people there that phased out a little early and then came back to try to lose the rest.
ragdoll74 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2013, 11:07 AM   #5  
Started IP 1/10/13

S/C/G: 225/175.5(home) 176.2(IP)/120

Height: 5'0"

Let's parse what you said:
You would sacrifice a72 pound loss because the last 4 pounds are hanging on?

No ma'am. You better get your mind right! You have accomplished so much already, embrace that, love your body and thank yourself for having the wherewithal to stick with IP, lose the weight and become healthier and fit.
Desafinado is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2013, 11:13 AM   #6  

S/C/G: 305/163/165

Quote:
Originally Posted by scorbett1103 View Post
You are really the only one who can answer that question. You are within a few pounds of the goal you set, and the closer you are to goal the slower your weight is going to come off anyway - the gap between the calories you are eating and the calories your body needs to function is much smaller.

For me, I was much less concerned about the number on the scale (which is going to fluctuate even in maintenance) than how I felt. Was I at a size I felt I could maintain without killing myself? Did I feel good? Did I feel mentally and emotionally ready to take on P3 and maintenance? When I could answer yes to all of those questions, I started P3. I'm 5 days in, I've been to the gym 3 of those days doing much more intense workouts than before, the scale has stayed the same and I'm absolutely happy with my decision.

"like"

As usual, you'll rock maintenance!
Ishbel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2013, 11:15 AM   #7  
Reboot 9/2014

Quote:
Originally Posted by Desafinado View Post
Let's parse what you said:
You would sacrifice a72 pound loss because the last 4 pounds are hanging on?

No ma'am. You better get your mind right! You have accomplished so much already, embrace that, love your body and thank yourself for having the wherewithal to stick with IP, lose the weight and become healthier and fit.
Weeellll...I wouldn't necessarily agree with that summary.

Rememeber that we are all kind of shooting in the dark when it comes to our goal weights. At the end of the day, it isnt a concrete number. Some of us aim too low, and have to rethink our goal if it's either not acheivable for our shape/body composition/age or not maintainable without herculean effort. Some of us aim too low, and find we have to lower our "goal".

The OP is just wondering whether to phase off since her losses have slowed, she is within five pounds of the goal she set - it's a fair conversation to have, and reasonable to weigh the pros and cons.
Old 02-22-2013, 01:04 PM   #8  
Started IP 3/26/12

Height: 5'5"

Quote:
Originally Posted by sharrow View Post
Hi all,

I have been doing IP 100% since the end of August. Recently, my losses have slowed. Nothing has changed with my diet and I feel like I am finally over all the illnesses that have been plaguing my family since school started in September.

I really miss exercising, and my coach moved me to Phase 2 two weeks ago so that I can get to Phase 3 and start doing some cardio and strength training. However, I am having some doubts. I am so close to goal, but the slowdown has been discouraging, and I am afraid I am going to just start cheating if I push myself any further.

So, I guess I am just asking for some advice. Do you think I should stick it out in Phase 2? Move back to Phase 1? Or try and lose while exercising in Phase 3? Has anyone continued to lose (even very slowly, while in Phase 3 or 4)?

Thanks all!
I was in a very similiar state of mind as you describe last November. My weight loss has been slow throughout my journey here, but it had stalled for a few weeks and I was feeling quite frustrated. I decided to stick with it, but see if I could 'shake up' my body by doing P3 for a week or so, then returned to P1. I became aware of this as a possible solution because Wuv, who is a long-time poster here who's lost 200 lbs did that a few months ago and it had worked for her. She's an IP coach now, and I know she's recommended that to others here on occasion too, with good results. Well - it worked for me too, and I started having better weekly loses again and got to my original goal weight within a fairly short time. You might want to try this if you decide you want lose those remaining 4 lbs.

Whatever you decide, don't stress to much about it. It really is a personal and flexible decision. If you decide to stop dieting, phase out properly to give yourself the best possible foundation for maintenance. And remember it's not an irreversible decision... you can always return to P1 later on if you decide you want to ultimately work towards a lower weight. I phased out just before Christmas (had reached my original goal), but returned to P1 in January to get a bit lower.

Last edited by evepet; 02-22-2013 at 01:07 PM.
evepet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2013, 02:10 PM   #9  
Started IP 1/14/2012

S/C/G: 286/165/169

Height: 5'9"

I'm in a similar spot as you and taking it week by week right now. I have 4.6 to go. I know that this is the lowest I can achieve as I don't have many fatty pockets to go, mainly skin folds to deal with later. Two weeks ago I had a 2 lb loss but last week was a .2 gain. I'm waiting another week to make my decision but even that might be to say wait another week. I need to be mentally ready too like Scorbett said. I've been on P2 and P3 during a vacation phase out but am I ready to move there and into maintenance? My coach is really good about working with me through this process too and making me think about the options. I originally thought I may skip P2 but now have decided to not.

In the end it is a personal decision and not an easy one because you are moving into last structured territory. But remember that you can always move back to P1 if you need it at any point in maintenance.
KitKat169 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2013, 02:25 PM   #10  

Kitkat when did you start IP? We started at about the same weight. My goal is 155 though and I think I want to lower it even further. What made you decide on 169? not asking accusingly but truly interested.
maezy1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2013, 02:30 PM   #11  

S/C/G: 219/146.0/142

Height: 5'7"

Thanks all for taking the time to offer some advice!

Setting a goal weight for me has been a fluid number (which is maybe why I can contemplate stopping short of it). When I first walked into an IP clinic, I had a goal of 160. I have moved it a couple of times since then, settling at 142 for the past few months.

I am currently pretty happy with my body. However, even heavier, I used to exercise regularly, and did Pilates weekly to help with my lower back issues. I am fitting into clothes that I haven't worn in 10 years, but, regardless of how IP states you won't lose muscle mass on the diet, I know I am not as fit as I was when I was exercising 3-4 times a week. Diet to look good in clothes, exercise to look good naked, right?

Anyway, enough rambling. What I think I am going to do, is try P3 with exercise, and reboot if necessary. I don't want to be chained to a number when I can be healthy and move on.

As an aside, Scorbett, if you happen to catch this. Come up to Waltham's Steampunk Watch City Festival in May, it should be a blast.
sharrow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2013, 04:39 PM   #12  
Reboot 9/2014

Quote:
Originally Posted by sharrow View Post
As an aside, Scorbett, if you happen to catch this. Come up to Waltham's Steampunk Watch City Festival in May, it should be a blast.
I just did a little dance in my work chair - finally something that happens when I'm NOT working the weekend! Just emailed the link to hubby so we can start plotting Thanks for the heads up!!!
Old 02-23-2013, 06:17 PM   #13  
Started IP 1/14/2012

S/C/G: 286/165/169

Height: 5'9"

Quote:
Originally Posted by maezy1 View Post
Kitkat when did you start IP? We started at about the same weight. My goal is 155 though and I think I want to lower it even further. What made you decide on 169? not asking accusingly but truly interested.
I originally picked 169 as the top of the normal for my BMI scale. My doctor wanted me at 200 but as I got to there, he said okay to 180. I'm 5'9" and large framed which is why we went at the high end of BMI. Broad shoulders and hips. Going any lower doesn't seem possible or sustainable for me based on what I feel. I have a lot of excess skin though so I also think once that gets dealt with in a few months, I may actually be 10lbs lighter. I can't really identify many fatty pockets. My calves are still larger than I would like but it hard like bone and muscle, not fat so I'm not sure I could lose there if I keep going.
KitKat169 is offline   Reply With Quote