Weight Loss Support Give and get support here!

Old 02-22-2013, 05:51 PM   #1  
Making Progress!

S/C/G: 210/ticker/165

Height: 5'10"

Cool Why do we find it so difficult?

It sounds so simple when you say it out loud. All I need to do to succeed is exercise a few times a week and eat sensibly. It is so simple.

So why do we all find it so difficult? I have been trying to lose these forty pounds for over a decade!!! It just seems ridiculous that I haven't done it yet!!! If I just lost 1.5 pounds each week on average I would be at goal by the end of August!!

dayoneagain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2013, 05:53 PM   #2  
Katrina

S/C/G: 162/see ticker/130

Height: 5'6

I wish I could tell you. I've never been able to reach my goal, or even come this close to it. I always lose a little bit, give up, gain it back. Repeat!
Candeka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2013, 05:59 PM   #3  

Exactly, dayoneagain! It seems SO simple!! It's taken me over 10 years to get my act together. Since this past summer I finally did something about all of this. (A health scare was the kick in the pants I needed but regardless, I am finally doing it!)

Now that I am in a groove of healthy eating, drinking lots of water and daily exercise, it really is "that" easy to lose weight.

I went cold turkey (of course, a food reference lol!) when I started my plan so that means in over 6 months I have not had pizza, chinese food, alcohol, bread, chips/snacks, etc. I can only eat foods on my plan from my nutritionist and I have never felt better. I wish I did this before.

I don't feel deprived, I ate like a maniac for 36 years +/-. And I will have those foods again. Right now, I feel amazing and it's because there is no junk in my system and my body knows it's so much lighter (no more pain, no more creeking, etc.).

I wish I did this years ago, I could have probably prevented my health issues and I could have enjoyed so many more happy memories and skinny clothes.

Now that I know what I have to do and feel accountable to myself at my weekly weigh-ins, I feel like I finally have the tools to do it right. And if I can do it, anyone can!

Good luck on your success.
elvislover324 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2013, 05:59 PM   #4  

S/C/G: 214/ticker/130

Height: 5'1.5"

I think one reason is that "eat less move more" is just not workable for many of us bc it's contrary to our chemistry.
rubidoux is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2013, 06:38 PM   #5  

I really believe the main difference between people who perpetually struggle with their weight (including me) and those who effortlessly maintain a healthy weight is brain/mindset. I've known a few "naturally" thin people during my life, and they all have one thing in common: They do not think about food as often or in the same way as I do. My husband is like that. He will skip lunch simply because he doesn't feel like making it or he just forgets to eat. That has rarely happened to me. If there is something I really love in the refrigerator (e.g., cherry pie, ice cream, cashews, etc.), I'll think about that item several times during the day; I'm always aware it's there. However, my husband won't even remember that it's in there unless I remind him.

The only thing I'm unsure of is whether there is actually a physical brain/chemical difference or whether it's conditioning that causes this difference (the age-old "nature vs. nurture" debate). I'm leaning toward an actual physical/chemical difference mainly because I see this same different behavior in my two dogs. One takes his time eating, and will often leave food in his bowl. The other gobbles his food as fast as the bowl hits the ground,, never leaves a morsel, and he's always looking for more.
lin43 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2013, 06:44 PM   #6  
Started IP 10/21/15

S/C/G: 243/238.8/170

Height: 5'4"

Quote:
Originally Posted by lin43 View Post
If there is something I really love in the refrigerator (e.g., cherry pie, ice cream, cashews, etc.), I'll think about that item several times during the day; I'm always aware it's there. However, my husband won't even remember that it's in there unless I remind him.
This perfectly describes the difference between myself and my boyfriend. He eats purely for survival and never snacks. If he eats chips and salsa for lunch that's all he'll have until around 8 or 9 that evening.
PreciousMissy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2013, 06:59 PM   #7  
Katrina

Quote:
If there is something I really love in the refrigerator (e.g., cherry pie, ice cream, cashews, etc.), I'll think about that item several times during the day; I'm always aware it's there. However, my husband won't even remember that it's in there unless I remind him.
Same with my husband. The thought of the pie will haunt me until its gone. He rarely eats dessert and would never really think about it.
Old 02-22-2013, 07:42 PM   #8  
LRH

S/C/G: 152/132/127

Height: 5'5"

I SO agree! Sometimes I feel "comforted" that some food is in the house. What is THAT about????
LRH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2013, 09:00 PM   #9  
Embracing the suck

S/C/G: 300/234/abs

Height: 6'9"

I personally think people make it more difficult than it needs to be. They believe because they've read so much that:

You have to drink X amount of water every day

You have to eat X times every day

You have to eat low carb (or low fat) or whatever

You have to always eat "healthy"

I believe that based on our history we all have a fairly natural way of eating and just going with that natural flow will work best. Why make things difficult?

That said - many of us need to relearn how to eat. Growing up we always had a starch. Always. Potatoes, pasta, rice ... always. I've almost completely cut them out. It was an adjustment but ultimately starches do little to fill me and usually they just make me want more.

As for "junk food" why have it around? You can't eat it if you don't buy it. Why is there pumpkin pie in your house? Why is there ice cream in your house? If you're the kind of person who can have a bite and be satisfied than maybe you can have it around but if not - don't buy it.

As for exercise - you don't have to do that much to get the health benefits. Brisk walking for 20 minutes, three times a week gives you most of the same cardio benefit you would get if you ran for 60 minutes 5 times a week.

It's always just one decision at a time until those decisions become new habits. You always need to be vigilant or you can easily fall back into those old habits and patterns.
JohnP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2013, 09:21 PM   #10  

S/C/G: 220/ticker/140

Height: 5'6"

Once my mindset changed, making changes that were previously hard now seem simpler. Having a hard pregnancy due to my weight really made me get my act together. Good luck!
racrane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2013, 09:27 PM   #11  

S/C/G: SW 228/CW 138/GW 130-150

Height: 5'3.5

Good conversation. I am 10 pounds away from maintenance and have been asking the same questions for maintenance. Why after years of maintaining a reasonable weight do many previously obese people fall off the wagon and regain. How can I prevent that from occurring when it should be simple? How do I guard my self mentally from falling into bad habits again?
dstalksalot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2013, 10:30 PM   #12  

The million dollar question! Interesting topic.
hatgirlie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2013, 12:47 AM   #13  
the aly bagel

Height: 5'8"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Candeka View Post
Same with my husband. The thought of the pie will haunt me until its gone. He rarely eats dessert and would never really think about it.
I am in the exact same boat! If I have a treat in the house I need to eat it right away. I think for me it is the taste and the pleasure in the taste. I don't feel bored or comforted, I just enjoy food. But my boyfriend could care less, it's like he's never hungry.

Now that I cut out a lot of carby food and fast food, I don't crave anymore. If I end up having something fast food I will crave carbs the whole day, and it will pass usually in 48 hours. Strange!
schubunny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2013, 02:41 PM   #14  

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnP View Post
I personally think people make it more difficult than it needs to be. They believe because they've read so much that:

You have to drink X amount of water every day

You have to eat X times every day

You have to eat low carb (or low fat) or whatever

You have to always eat "healthy"

I believe that based on our history we all have a fairly natural way of eating and just going with that natural flow will work best. Why make things difficult?

. . .

As for "junk food" why have it around? You can't eat it if you don't buy it. Why is there pumpkin pie in your house? Why is there ice cream in your house? If you're the kind of person who can have a bite and be satisfied than maybe you can have it around but if not - don't buy it.
I agree with both of these points. My husband is my go-to example. He eats exactly what he wants, when he wants, and he has never had a weight problem (it's just that he "wants" less food, less often than I do). The dieting industry is making billions trying to complicate what should be a no-brainer, and we buy into it (I know I have in the past).

The junk-food-in-the-house thing is tricky for me. You're right: If it's not there, I can't eat it, so it's better if it's not there. However, at times, when I really, really want something, if I don't have anything in the house, I'll find something else to eat that isn't as good, and I'll nosh on it as a substitute; I hate that about myself because I end up eating as many (often more) calories as I would have if I had had the food I really wanted.
lin43 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2013, 02:46 PM   #15  
Katrina

Quote:
However, at times, when I really, really want something, if I don't have anything in the house, I'll find something else to eat that isn't as good, and I'll nosh on it as a substitute; I hate that about myself because I end up eating as many (often more) calories as I would have if I had had the food I really wanted.
That is my problem. My cravings are very strong and I will do anything in my power to munch on the next closest thing. Like you said, it usually ends up being just as many or more calories than the original thing in the first place.