General chatter Because life isn't just about dieting. Play games, jokes, or share what's new in your life!

Old 02-18-2013, 08:35 PM   #1  
Shrinking Angela

S/C/G: 210/ticker/140

Height: 5'3"

Default Sucking In Sucks?

So, I guess, this is a question for those maintaining or getting super duper close to their UGW. When does sucking in go away? I'm 20 pounds away from my UGW and I was in the shower today when I started thinking about how sucking in is really a pain. So, does anyone know? Does it come naturally or did you have to train yourself not to suck in anymore?
themusicalfruit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2013, 09:00 PM   #2  
Melissa

Height: 5'6.5"

Are you exercising? At some point it should be come a natural state - core muscles pulled tighter - sucked in, versus a "I should suck it in". It becomes more of a chore to let it all hang out!
berryblondeboys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2013, 10:27 AM   #3  
Recovering Pantry Pest

S/C/G: 174.5/162/149

Height: 5'7"

Agree with Melissa completely - core strength = better posture, which makes EVERYTHING look like it fits better and definitely makes everything feel better!
ICUwishing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2013, 10:33 PM   #4  

I agree you should maybe either directly work on your core more or do some compound lifts which will work it indirectly. I think it's a bit of a misconception to think of muscles as either "tensed" or "relaxed." I mean just keeping your eyes open is tensing those muscles to a degree but you don't really feel it. The point is if you strengthen your core there will be a residual tension that you don't feel but keeps everything sucked in.
Kisigin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2013, 01:33 AM   #5  
Back with a story

S/C/G: 281 / 254 / 160

Height: 5'3" - I got taller!

It's natural for me now - it wasn't before I strengthened by core, though. I realize now that poor posture and pooch were muscle weakness and correcting that with proper posture and tucking my pelvis was really crucial!
Arctic Mama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2013, 04:54 PM   #6  

Yeah that makes sense. I think that to a degree just correcting your posture by itself will strengthen your core somewhat. I mean even just bending over to pick something up most of the times its better to have a little oomph in your midsection. Feels stronger and makes my back feel better when I engage those muscles.
Kisigin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2013, 07:53 PM   #7  
Here to Learn

S/C/G: 225/140/135

Height: 5'5"

I just kind of do it naturally, it feels unnatural to just let my belly go slack.
EagleRiverDee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2013, 08:55 PM   #8  
Back to Basics!

S/C/G: 187/127/125

Height: 5' 2.5"

Quote:
Originally Posted by EagleRiverDee View Post
I just kind of do it naturally, it feels unnatural to just let my belly go slack.
This! I do it almost all day long, even when sitting down. Not so much "sucking in" as squeezing my core.
ChickieChicks is offline   Reply With Quote