Exercise! Love it or hate it, let's motivate each other to just DO IT!

Old 02-21-2013, 03:42 PM   #1  

S/C/G: 152/cw 147/gw 135/ugw 130

Height: 5'7''

Default Feel sick in the morning when I try to work out, even after eating?

Hi y'all! I have been trying to get to the gym in the morning, even though I much prefer to go in the afternoon when it is less crowded. The problem is that I ALWAYS feel like I'm going to pass out after a few minutes on the elliptical when I go in the AM, and this never happens in the afternoon. I eat almost as soon as I get up so that I have some time to digest the food before hitting the gym, and I drink plenty of water. Any ideas as to what might be causing this? FWIW, my typical breakfast is usually something like a banana (maybe with some PB), yoghurt, and cereal.
bubblybarrister is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2013, 07:18 PM   #2  
Ilene the Bean

I never eat before working out in the morning, specially if it's only an hour or so... Try not eating... I just have a coffee and go....
Ilene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2013, 10:01 PM   #3  
Shrinking Chick

S/C/G: 288/ticker/160

Height: 5'8"

I only eat a little bit before an am workout, too. A smaller than usual cup of coffee, and either a hard boiled egg, a cheese stick, or a plain Greek yogurt with a spoonful of sugar free jam. This is all I'll have for 50 minutes on the elliptical, a 50 minute run, or a 1.5 hour yoga class. And I'm hypoglycemic. HTH!

Last edited by Riddy; 02-25-2013 at 08:07 PM.
Riddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2013, 06:54 AM   #4  

S/C/G: 152/cw 147/gw 135/ugw 130

Height: 5'7''

Thanks, friends! I'll have to try that. I wish I knew what the problem was - I'd much rather be a morning workout person and get it out of the way before work!
bubblybarrister is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2013, 12:38 AM   #5  

Quote:
Originally Posted by bubblybarrister View Post
Hi y'all! I have been trying to get to the gym in the morning, even though I much prefer to go in the afternoon when it is less crowded. The problem is that I ALWAYS feel like I'm going to pass out after a few minutes on the elliptical when I go in the AM, and this never happens in the afternoon. I eat almost as soon as I get up so that I have some time to digest the food before hitting the gym, and I drink plenty of water. Any ideas as to what might be causing this? FWIW, my typical breakfast is usually something like a banana (maybe with some PB), yoghurt, and cereal.
I typically won't eat directly before a work-out. Your stomach digestion ends up competing with the blood that is moving around your body--and that may be why you're getting nauseated in the morning and not in the afternoon. If I eat and workout too soon I get side aches. Not sure what you mean by PB?
Kscott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2013, 05:02 PM   #6  
Rachel

S/C/G: 295ish/278.4/145

Height: 5'5"

Quote:
Originally Posted by bubblybarrister View Post
Your food choices seem okay, but it could be that you just need to eat more or wait longer before working out. That's the only thing I can think of. When I lived in the city, I went to my gym three mornings a week, having eaten cereal about an hour and a half before & I was fine. Unfortunately, you may have to do some trial & error here.

I did have some work outs that I would get dizzy & light headed for no apparent reason, & it turned out to be because of Mitral Valve Prolapse. As long as I stay hydrated, I don't have any problems with it now.

Last edited by Keep Moving Forward; 05-05-2013 at 05:06 PM.
Keep Moving Forward is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2013, 05:09 PM   #7  

I feel much better working out on an empty stomach than when I eat anything. And if I do eat for some reason, I have to wait 45-60 mins or else it makes me feel sick (nevermind so bloated!). I'd try it without eating but have your breakfast ready to eat when you are done. I'm starving when my workout is over!
elvislover324 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2013, 02:20 PM   #8  

S/C/G: tick'

Height: 5'8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kscott View Post
I typically won't eat directly before a work-out. Your stomach digestion ends up competing with the blood that is moving around your body--and that may be why you're getting nauseated in the morning and not in the afternoon. If I eat and workout too soon I get side aches. Not sure what you mean by PB?
Peanut Butter, I think.

To Bubbly,

I feel best when I'm on an empty stomach or at least a few hours after consuming anything. I generally workout in the afternoon as it works with my work schedule. But I have a large breakfast, go to work, come home, exercise. Then I make a protein shake, might have a bit of a snack in between and then dinner. Obvioulsy that wouldn't EXACTLY work for you, but if you play around a bit you'll find what works.

Empty stomach (maybe a pepper, maybe) and water work for me.
Remington90 is offline   Reply With Quote