Introductions Introduce yourselves and make new friends!

Old 02-22-2013, 02:25 PM   #1  
Moostacular

Height: 5'5"

Default Time For a New Approach

Hello 3FC Community!

I'm a brand new user to this site and a first time support group affiliate!

You could say my weight has dated back to when I was just a mere babe. It was only a year ago I saw actual proof, on video, of my love of food, when I was the ripe age of 2. It was Christmas time and I was given one of those plastic food kits. Needless to say I was ecstatic over my new found plastic egg and had immediate hopes to devour it. Until my mother called out over the room that it was fake. The disappoint that registered on my tiny face was heart breaking.

Now at the age of almost 27, I'm still madly in love with food and my body has paid the price.

I join you half way through my journey. Back in 2010 I made a commitment to lose weight after maxing out at 240lbs. I proceeded to drop to the upper 170s, working out daily, lifting some weights and eating less. Nothing special or fancy, just hardcore commitment. I then hit a mental plateau and it's something I haven't been able to break. After struggling for months trying to get into the lower 170s and upper 160s. I gave up. I gained back up to the 190s and have been maintaining there ever since.

I went through major life changes (all for the good) in mid 2012, and now find myself living in Hollywood, California. I'm back in school, in a 3 year intensive program, living in a man's world. Quite literally. I'm surrounded by guys all the time. I'm the only girl in my program term, which is fine, but can get lonely. I'm living with my roommate, who was a childhood friend but we fell out of touch for 10 years until now. We've never been that close with each other and that remains to this day. My brother also lives out here, but he's over in Santa Monica..and while it's only a 10 mile difference it can take over an hour to get there.

So lets get down to the nitty gritty! Since my birthday is around the corner, I decided to give the gift of health to myself and seriously recommit into losing the rest of my weight. I would like to be in the 140s when it's all said and done and be able to maintain.

I'm in relatively good cardioshape, while living in California I trained and mostly ran a 5k. But let's face it, I hate running. And due to my diet of .. eating lots of tasty things, I'm never really losing weight, so running never got easier. So I'm switching over to the P90x. I tried the P90 before and found it relatively easier, so I want something that will really challenge me. I just bought myself a nice set of resistance bands and lots of powder protein for recovery shakes/breakfast meals. I officially plan on weighing/measuring/shopping and starting tomorrow.

So what's my problem you ask? First off. I'm lonely. I haven't had much time to make new friends and while 20-something guys are nice... sometimes the stuff they say is just...mind boggling. Or the way they talk about women makes me want to slap them.

I've also been diagnosed with a type of depression that's low grade and forever maintaining. While I can typically keep it under control, I have bouts where I'm super lethargic and unmotivated and I don't even want to see the light of day. This past week has been an excellent example, which is horrible because I have a lot of homework I need to get done.

My two biggest problems though is... getting the energy to work out, and preplanning/making a food plan I can stick too.

So my main question for you guys is, how do you decide when to work out? Is there something you have to do to build yourself up to it?

Previously my mom use to meet me at the gym so it kind of forced me to go workout. But now she lives 2000 miles away and I don't really have the time to trek to a gym to work out. Nor do I have the self confidence to work out at a gym in LA. It sounds/looks intimidating.

I feel like it would be best for me to work out in the morning, get it out of the way. But when I wake up the morning, I really just want to roll over and go back to sleep unless it's something mandatory, like class, that I have to go too. And exercise is so easy to push back. I know when I get home from class I'm also tired and the last thing I want to do is an hour work out session. But I'm adaptable and I'm interested in hearing your opinions on how to make it mentally mandatory and when during the day is best.

My other question for you guys is regarding diet. I'm switching over to being vegetarian and I'm looking for easy recipes that you guys enjoy, and are great leftovers, so that I can make a batch of it. I know there is a recipe section on 3FC but I'm also just looking for recipes that you guys really like or depend on.

Woo! Kudos to you guys for reading all of this I hope it was somewhat entertaining. Cheers and I look forward to hearing from you!

-Moose

Last edited by WTF Moose; 02-22-2013 at 02:29 PM.
WTF Moose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2013, 06:31 PM   #2  
I'm bringing sexy back!

S/C/G: 242/234.5/167

Height: 5'5"

Welcome and good luck on your journey!!!
Mozzy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2013, 11:47 AM   #3  

S/C/G: 165/132/125 or 115? not sure

Height: 5'4" (on a good-hair day!)

It's never a straight shot - you're 50 lbs lower & that's great and that's what counts!!!!

Wish I had some advice on the exercise conundrum but I'm not a morning person either.

Good luck on your journey - glad you joined us!
Mountain Mamma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2013, 02:50 PM   #4  
NeNe

S/C/G: 200/187/165

Height: 5'6"

Welcome! Glad you found us. I am a believer that if you have to make yourself get up to do some kind of exercise you most likely won't keep it up. Try some different exercises and see if you can find something you enjoy doing. I also don't push myself to do it everyday. I shoot for 3-4 times per week. Due to a serious work-related back injury,I can only do water aerobics which I have come to love. The county has a therapy pool that is covered in the winter and is maitained 90 degrees year-round. I do thirty minutes of cardio and fifteen mins stretching, arms and abdomen. I also see these ten min exercise tapes that might
be what you need right now with your schedule. How about when you go to class park far away in the parking lot to walk extra, take steps instead of the elevator and add a short walk in when you have a break between classes. If you don't want to join a class find a tape you enjoy at home. Back in the day I did Richard Simmons. You talk about motivation! As far as vegetarian meals, I can.t help you there because steak and shrimp are two of my favorite meals so I choose a low carb/ high protein eating plan. I am sure that others here will be able to help you out with that. Keep up the good work and the faith and you will see the scale will move and then I can call you a fellow loser. Lol
firegirl441 is offline   Reply With Quote