Old 02-22-2013, 01:02 PM   #1  

S/C/G: 152/150/125

Height: 5'5/ Athletic

Default Soy free/ low soy stuff?

So I had my first consult today, and the lady gave me a sheet of gluten/soyfree stuff, but now I can't find it I think it might still be at the office.

Anyone have a list of soy free or low soy IP foods?

Keep trying to locate them on this forum, but I can't find any.

Thank yous!
bbits is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2013, 01:03 PM   #2  
Reboot 9/2014

S/C/G: 198.6/173/165

Height: 5' 8"

Lisa is our resident soy free expert, I'm sure she will chime in
scorbett1103 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2013, 01:37 PM   #3  

Default Soy/Gluten free list (with disclaimer)

My list is also gluten-free.

I took hours reading through the ingredients list at PlainProtein.com, after developing thyroid problems (hypo in Dec, after being on IP since Aug). From my reading from Naturopathic and Functional medicine practitioners, soy is very hard on humans in general, but esp hard on thyroid so I immediately made the decision to cut it when they hypothyroid developed.

Disclaimer: I only cut soy PROTEIN. If a product has soy lecithin, I allowed it for now. The soy protein is a bigger amount of the packet and a bigger impact on my thyroid. If my thyroid function doesn't change with meds and cutting soy protein, I may reconsider this decision.

I'd have to go back through to read each product ingredient again if I were cutting soy lecithin and there wouldn't be many IP products that would fit the bill.

Here is my list of the 19 allowable IP items:
Banana Pudding
Milk Chocolate Pudding
Strawberry Pudding
Lemon Pudding
(NOT these puddings: Vanilla, Dark Chocolate, Butterscotch, they have soy)
Raspberry Gelatin
White Cheddar Ridges (the only restricted item I didn't cut!)
Blue/Cran/Pom drink
Pina Colada
Peach/Mango packet
Pink Lemonade
Orange Drink
All Ready-to-Drinks: Vanilla, Chocolate, Mango, Strawberry-Banana
Fine Herb/Cheese Omelet
Wildberry Yogurt
Mashed Potato
Alt products I'm also using: Dr. Mercola's miracle whey. Restricted items include Quest Bar 100% natural line (the other ones are too high carbs/fat), and Simply chips

ETA: My list is from products available in the US

Last edited by lisa32989; 02-22-2013 at 03:01 PM.
lisa32989 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2013, 02:08 PM   #4  
Started IP 1/10/13

S/C/G: 220/see ticker/135

Height: 5'3"

Not exactly on-point re: soy, but FYI--

I just came across something saying that broccoli, brussel sprouts, cabbage, greens, and spinach (i.e. most of the high fiber vegetables we're allowed to have on IP) are:

"goitrogenic, meaning that they promote thyroid enlargement and can potentially cause or aggravate hypothyroidism. Typically, the risk is highest when these foods are consumed raw, regularly, and in substantial quantity. Cooking eliminates most goitrogenic properties."
Ojenchilada is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2013, 02:13 PM   #5  

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ojenchilada View Post

I just came across something saying that broccoli, brussel sprouts, cabbage, greens, and spinach (i.e. most of the high fiber vegetables we're allowed to have on IP) are:

"goitrogenic, meaning that they promote thyroid enlargement and can potentially cause or aggravate hypothyroidism. Typically, the risk is highest when these foods are consumed raw, regularly, and in substantial quantity. Cooking eliminates most goitrogenic properties."
According to the 2 books I've read, that is actually old, outdated info. I had read it too.
Thanks for caring enough to share, though!

Luckily, even if these were a problem, the only ones I consume raw are greens and spinach. I'm not a fan of any of the others raw (oh wait, occasional cole slaw).
Old 02-22-2013, 02:21 PM   #6  
Started IP 1/10/13

Good to know. When I ran across that today, I thought -- geez, now what?! Very impressed that you like greens raw. I like them boiled in a pot with lots of bacon and onions and spices...so obviously haven't had them since December.
Old 02-22-2013, 02:27 PM   #7  

Quote:
Good to know. When I ran across that today, I thought -- geez, now what?! Very impressed that you like greens raw. I like them boiled in a pot with lots of bacon and onions and spices...so obviously haven't had them since December.
I meant field greens. Turnip, etc, need to be cooked!
I've learned to live without the bacon (THE candy of meats!)
There are few things at this point that I REALLY want to add back...luckily it seems to be the fats and not the carbs, since fats seem to do much less damage than carbs to this body...cheese & bacon is what I miss most but I don't miss them more than the 67 lbs lost. I'll take that trade any day!

AND

I just got my TSH test back. It is back in the normal range. Now to get the doc to do the rest of the thyroid panel.

Last edited by lisa32989; 02-22-2013 at 02:27 PM.
Old 02-22-2013, 02:40 PM   #8  

S/C/G: 152/150/125

Height: 5'5/ Athletic

OMG Thank you to all!!! Such a lifesaver, really appreciate it !!!

This list is perfect!!!

It's funny you mention the quest bar as an alt to the restricted items, because I was thinking of subbing with the exact same thing!! lol

I guess I should also note that the reason I cut out soy is I find when I eat it, I get abnormal uterine bleeding. Meaning, I'm not on my period, but my body surely bleeds like it is. And the reaction lasts quite a few says, depending on how much soy I've ingested.

It also makes my throat itchy.

Though it was worth sharing as I don't normally see people post about such a reaction to soy. Sorry for the TMI

Last edited by bbits; 02-22-2013 at 02:48 PM.
bbits is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2013, 02:43 PM   #9  
Started IP 1/10/13

Quote:
Originally Posted by lisa32989 View Post
I meant field greens. Turnip, etc, need to be cooked!
I've learned to live without the bacon (THE candy of meats!)
There are few things at this point that I REALLY want to add back...luckily it seems to be the fats and not the carbs, since fats seem to do much less damage than carbs to this body...cheese & bacon is what I miss most but I don't miss them more than the 67 lbs lost. I'll take that trade any day!

AND

I just got my TSH test back. It is back in the normal range. Now to get the doc to do the rest of the thyroid panel.
You're cracking me up over here. The candy of meats -- ha! Congrats on the normal results. I need to check my mailbox when I get home...my blood results should be in from my physical...
Old 02-22-2013, 07:09 PM   #10  
Started IP 12-26-2012

Height: 5'7"

Quote:

I have hypothyroid... the only veggie I KNOW causes an issue if consumed in large amounts, is bok choy. I love the stuff but won't eat it more than once ever two or three weeks because it can play havoc with the thyroid. Not that I've had an issue, it takes "large" amounts, but I rather not push it.

The other veggies you list, what I understand is if they're consumed RAW they can enlarge the thyroid, but cooking them reduces the giotrogenic properties. I have eaten broccoli, cabbage and spinach in large amounts for years, both cooked and uncooked, with no effect on my hypothyroidism.
leannekarella is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2013, 11:58 AM   #11  
Start: Dec. 18, 2017

S/C/G: 211/210/150

Height: 5'5"

I have looked for soy through all the packages of IP products as well. The following MAY HAVE any of soy lecithin, soy oil, or gluten in the product; the only thing they don't have is soy protein.

Meals and Soups:
Broccoli & Cheese Soup
Chicken Noodle Soup
Mashed Potatoes

Drinks:
All drinks

Pudding and Jello:
Vanilla RTD (Canada)
Chocolate RTD (Canada)
Milk Chocolate
Blueberry
Lemon
Strawberry
Raspberry Jello

Breakfast:
Plain Omelet
Herb and Cheese Omelet

Snacks:
Sea Salt and Vinegar Ridges
White Cheddar Ridges

One I didn't really understand is Strawberry Wafer which has listed "soy flour" not "soy protein". I assume the flour has protein in it??
learning to fly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2013, 12:45 PM   #12  

From my reading it is soy and gluten that are detrimental (gluten ESP for hashimotos), which is why my list was gluten-free as well

http://www.stopthethyroidmadness.com/goitrogens/

http://www.thyroidbook.com/

All of the snacks and bars have soy and/or gluten.
The only one I allow (for myself) is the white cheddar ridges because there is no gluten or soy protein. Same with the mashed potatoes.

I guess each person needs to determine what exactly they are eliminating.

Last edited by lisa32989; 02-24-2013 at 12:51 PM.
Old 04-27-2013, 03:01 PM   #13  

S/C/G: 170/168/140

Height: 5'8"

Quote:
Originally Posted by lisa32989 View Post
My list is also gluten-free.

I took hours reading through the ingredients list at PlainProtein.com, after developing thyroid problems (hypo in Dec, after being on IP since Aug). From my reading from Naturopathic and Functional medicine practitioners, soy is very hard on humans in general, but esp hard on thyroid so I immediately made the decision to cut it when they hypothyroid developed.

Disclaimer: I only cut soy PROTEIN. If a product has soy lecithin, I allowed it for now. The soy protein is a bigger amount of the packet and a bigger impact on my thyroid. If my thyroid function doesn't change with meds and cutting soy protein, I may reconsider this decision.

I'd have to go back through to read each product ingredient again if I were cutting soy lecithin and there wouldn't be many IP products that would fit the bill.

Here is my list of the 19 allowable IP items:
Banana Pudding
Milk Chocolate Pudding
Strawberry Pudding
Lemon Pudding
(NOT these puddings: Vanilla, Dark Chocolate, Butterscotch, they have soy)
Raspberry Gelatin
White Cheddar Ridges (the only restricted item I didn't cut!)
Blue/Cran/Pom drink
Pina Colada
Peach/Mango packet
Pink Lemonade
Orange Drink
All Ready-to-Drinks: Vanilla, Chocolate, Mango, Strawberry-Banana
Fine Herb/Cheese Omelet
Wildberry Yogurt
Mashed Potato
Alt products I'm also using: Dr. Mercola's miracle whey. Restricted items include Quest Bar 100% natural line (the other ones are too high carbs/fat), and Simply chips

ETA: My list is from products available in the US
Thank you so much for this list! I'm new on IP. I completely cut soy out of my diet years ago because it was wreaking havoc on my hormones (my hot flashes immediately quit and I lost some weight - go figure). My IP coach convinced me to try their soy products (because they are isolated) just for a bit to see if it was still giving me problems. 2 days into it and I felt miserable and the hot flashes and other hormonal problems were back. She thought that I was just getting rid of toxins so I gave it another week, but that's not the case for me. I've moved onto this same list and made some other alterations and all the hormonal issues have gone away. My wish for IP is that they would design a whole new soy-free and gluten-free line.

It's nice not being alone with the soy-free thing!

THANK YOU!!!
Mitznbitz is offline   Reply With Quote