Old 02-22-2013, 09:43 AM   #1  
Started IP 01/31/13

S/C/G: 298/see ticker/150

Height: 5'4"

Default Ideas for making it thru a formal dinner?

Help...Saturday night we are going to a formal dinner. I have no idea what they are serving and will probably not be able to make changes to what they are serving.

I thought about taking my Mio and an IP snack bar in my purse. I find these situations tempting and so far I have been 100% OP and would like to stay that way. Any other ideas?
Msbehaving is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2013, 09:54 AM   #2  

Quote:
Originally Posted by Msbehaving View Post
Help...Saturday night we are going to a formal dinner. I have no idea what they are serving and will probably not be able to make changes to what they are serving.

I thought about taking my Mio and an IP snack bar in my purse. I find these situations tempting and so far I have been 100% OP and would like to stay that way. Any other ideas?
Is there any way to find out ahead -of-time what is being served so you can plan ahead? I use the reason that I'm on a special plan for a medical condition and need to plan accordingly.

Last edited by lisa32989; 02-22-2013 at 10:17 AM.
lisa32989 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2013, 10:16 AM   #3  
Reboot 9/2014

S/C/G: 198.6/173/165

Height: 5' 8"

Quote:
Originally Posted by lisa32989 View Post
Is there any way to find out ahead -of-time what is being served so you can plan ahead? I use the reason that I'm on a specupial plan for a medical condition and need to plan accordingly.
*This*

If you talk to either the organizer or the hall where it is being held and let them know you have dietary needs, they should be willing to work with you. At worst, they can tell you no and you can then plan accordingly, but you won't know until you ask

That said, IF you do find that you aren't able to eat there, just eat your dinner right before (so you aren't hungry), and bring your IP snack to keep you going while you're there. That's what I did for my reunion, and I brought the blackberry pomegranate Mio to put in my water so I could have a "fancy" drink Nobody was the wiser and we had a great time
scorbett1103 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2013, 11:15 AM   #4  
Started IP 1/10/13

S/C/G: 220/see ticker/135

Height: 5'3"

I am still working on being brave enough to call ahead to ask about food.

But I have been to quite a few formal gatherings since starting IP, and I have been able to manage it by (1) ordering a fancy looking drink if possible (like last night's club soda with lime on the rocks...it *felt* like I was having a real drink), (2) drinking lots of regular water (I had 8 12-ounce bottles at an event on Sunday), (3) concentrating on the salad(even if that means brushing aside the cheese and croutons!), (4) eating a bit of the protein option as long as it's not doused in a sauce or batter, and (5) having an IP product available in my purse if those things aren't working out.

You are strong. You are in control. You will only eat things you shouldn't if you choose to do so. If you want to stay OP, a little disruption to your usual routine won't derail you. Strength vibes to you!
Ojenchilada is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2013, 11:36 AM   #5  
Started IP 1/12/13

S/C/G: 267/ticker/167

Height: 5'5

I actually grilled up a chicken breast ahead of time and stuck it in a tupperware container in my purse. Then at the event (it was buffet) I piled my plate with salad and when noone was looking I dumped my chicken onto it.
These days so many people have food allergies, these placed know how to deal with them and usually do.

have fun..the next day you are going to feel so good that you made it through the event OP
jeffiner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2013, 12:40 PM   #6  
Started IP 01/31/13

I need to learn to stand up for myself! Thanks to all of you....I just called the event coordinator and explained what I needed and why (plain protein and steamed vegies). They are serving the salad with dressing on the side, with vinaigrette as one of the options. The coordinator is going to call the caterer and see what they can do to help me. The coordinator said...basically you are looking for "clean" eating. I thought that was a nice way to put it. It was a very nice conversation. I thanked her for looking into it and said that I would make my plans according to what they could do...I was just trying to be prepared and not use this as an excuse or something outside of my control to go off plan. Very cool.

Note to self...ASK for what I need!!!!
Old 02-22-2013, 12:41 PM   #7  
Started IP 01/31/13

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffiner View Post
I actually grilled up a chicken breast ahead of time and stuck it in a tupperware container in my purse. Then at the event (it was buffet) I piled my plate with salad and when noone was looking I dumped my chicken onto it.
I am going to remember this tip for the future!
Old 02-22-2013, 03:21 PM   #8  

S/C/G: 360/see ticker/175

Height: 5'8"

Quote:
I need to learn to stand up for myself! Thanks to all of you....I just called the event coordinator and explained what I needed and why (plain protein and steamed vegies). They are serving the salad with dressing on the side, with vinaigrette as one of the options. The coordinator is going to call the caterer and see what they can do to help me. The coordinator said...basically you are looking for "clean" eating. I thought that was a nice way to put it. It was a very nice conversation. I thanked her for looking into it and said that I would make my plans according to what they could do...I was just trying to be prepared and not use this as an excuse or something outside of my control to go off plan. Very cool.

Note to self...ASK for what I need!!!!
Glad you called. Once you get over the initial fear of calling/asking/sticking up for yourself, you'll find it's pretty easy. And honestly, although YOU might feel like everyone is going to notice that you are eating differently, honestly, I've found that no one really notices/cares!
LosingLawyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2013, 03:32 PM   #9  

S/C/G: 144/138.0/118

Height: 5'0"

oh geez, my firends care, they all freak out and oint it out so everyone can hear that Im not eating pizza, like it needs to be broadcasted in CNN or something. I like the tupperware in purse idea
LexiChanel1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2013, 03:43 PM   #10  

Quote:
Originally Posted by LexiChanel1 View Post
oh geez, my firends care, they all freak out and oint it out so everyone can hear that Im not eating pizza, like it needs to be broadcasted in CNN or something. I like the tupperware in purse idea
Your friends are jealous!
lisa32989 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2013, 05:07 PM   #11  
Reboot 9/2014

Quote:
Originally Posted by LexiChanel1 View Post
LOL as I say often, people fear what they don't understand I'd remind them that pizza didn't get you into smaller pants and it won't help them do the same either
Old 02-22-2013, 05:24 PM   #12  
Started IP 1/10/13

S/C/G: 225/175.5(home) 176.2(IP)/120

Height: 5'0"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ojenchilada View Post
You are strong. You are in control. You will only eat things you shouldn't if you choose to do so. If you want to stay OP, a little disruption to your usual routine won't derail you. Strength vibes to you!
ALL this she said!

Last edited by Desafinado; 02-22-2013 at 05:24 PM.
Desafinado is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2013, 06:37 PM   #13  
Started IP 01/31/13

The event coordinator called me back and they are happy to accommodate my eating plan. Woohooo!! Still bringing my Mio so I have it if I want it. Otherwise, I plan to have a great time, a nice meal and do some dancing with DH.
Old 02-22-2013, 06:56 PM   #14  
Started IP 12-26-2012

Height: 5'7"

I second what everyone said about using the excuse of a special diet plan. I have even gone as far as say I have medical issues (I do...obesity!) that I have special needs for.

These days, with gluten-free, soy-free, lactose-free, even peanut-free needs for people with food allergies, most places are happy to accommodate those that have special dietary needs.

Salad and protein, and do keep at least one IP backup in your purse. I also bring my own salad dressing everywhere I go. (I bought some of those 3oz bottles for traveling and tuck them in my purse carrying my salad dressing, low-carb ketchup and low-carb bbq sauce, so I have all the condiments I could possibly need when I ask for no sauce/no butter.) And I don't make any bones about it. I do what I need to.

Good luck, and YOU CAN DO IT!
leannekarella is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2013, 07:47 PM   #15  
Reboot 9/2014

Quote:
The event coordinator called me back and they are happy to accommodate my eating plan. Woohooo!! Still bringing my Mio so I have it if I want it. Otherwise, I plan to have a great time, a nice meal and do some dancing with DH.
Fantastic!!!