General chatter Because life isn't just about dieting. Play games, jokes, or share what's new in your life!

Closed Thread

Old 02-21-2013, 07:00 PM   #1  
Katrina

S/C/G: 162/see ticker/130

Height: 5'6

Default Would you forgive this "friend"

I have been friends with this girl for about 5 years - known each other about 9. The past two years we have been relativly close. Most people can't stand her since she is a very controlling person that has no filter, but I am a really relaxed person so I can look past it.

We went to on vacation 2 weeks ago. The purpose of the vacation was to go out and have a great time (Mardi Gras!). On Saturday night, she did not want to go out. On Sunday night, she got so drunk so could not remember what happened (nothing). Monday night she wanted to be in bed by 10pm, but since I had spent the previous night virtually babysitting her, I wanted to go out. Luckily, that same night we had met a group of people so she went to bed and I went out. I told her I would be back by a certain time. I walked in only 5 minutes past "curfew" and she had already called security and was LIVID. I apologized - we went to bed.

Tuesday - since I was still sleeping - she went out and did her own thing and did not speak to me. At 5pm when she came back, I asked her if she wanted to go out to get something to eat since I was starving. She said no so I went by myself and met up with that group. I sent her 5 different text messages asking her to join us. She said no. My phone was dying so I sent her a text saying meet me on "x street" at 7:45. I waited until 8:15 and she did not show up. I then used someones cellphone to call the hotel and again asked her to join us since it was the last night and it shouldn't be ruined by arguing at the hotel. She then hung up on me. At that point I was done trying.

When I went back to the hotel room at 1am, she had called my husband, told him I had ditched her for a group of men (not true), that I had been missing since that afternoon (not true, she knew where I was), and she had switched her plane and LEFT ME alone in the USA (Luckily, I've traveled ALOT so I was not bothered)

We have not spoken since. She is demanding an apology in which I do not feel like I owe her one. Yes, we both could have done things to make it work but we were both stubborn. I did not want to sit in a hotel and pout where as she wanted me to join her in the hotel. However, I am starting to miss the friendship and I am a very forgiving persons (sometimes not a good thing). I could forgive her for hanging up on me and being snotty and leaving me in another country... but I am having trouble forgiving her for calling my husband and my family, having them think I've been raped and dumped in an alley since I "had been missing since the afternoon and was last seen with a group of men". Since my phone was dead, my husband had no way to call me so he was back home FREAKING out.

If you were in my position, would you try and let it all go for the sake of the friendship, or would you consider what she did inexcusable?
Old 02-21-2013, 07:07 PM   #2  

Height: 5'5

I'd find it enexcusable. Who needs that drama
Old 02-21-2013, 07:15 PM   #3  

What she did is inexcusable. If she was motivated by concern for your well-being she would not have left you there. She was trying to cause you trouble. Apologise to your hubby for the drama that she caused and for not keeping your phone charged. Next time take him on the trip and leave her home.
Old 02-21-2013, 07:25 PM   #4  

I have no time in my life for drama (I think I'm a lot older than you), it stressed me out to read your posting! I don't like passive-agressive people like your friend comes off to me, so I'd say dump her and move on. But obviously I don't know how good a friend she is to you and what type of relationship you really do have with her (so it's easy for me to say get rid of her).

When I read that you were married, I was actually shocked. This seems like young newly 21-year-old drama where people are just "learning" to drink and overdoing it.

I'd kick her to the curb, you don't need that. And my heart breaks for your husband and what he and your family went through. Anyone who hurts my family on purpose loses all of their value in my eyes.
Old 02-21-2013, 07:27 PM   #5  

Are you kidding?

i'd be running away from that hot mess as fast as my legs could carry me, never to look back. Yea forgive her but i'd have absolutely nothing to do with her.

Sorry you had to go through that, there are so many other people out there that would be invaluable friends, life is way too short.
Old 02-21-2013, 07:28 PM   #6  

S/C/G: 191/171/153 now 185/185/155

Height: 5'3"

I understand that you are comfortable with travel. I think she was definitely wrong for not going out day 1 and you are jusified for resenting babysitting on day 2, however, going out with people you don't know is dangerous. Yes, everything worked out for the best but there are some shady people that flock to large celebrations and tourist areas just to prey on unsuspecting tourists.

I would think that she was genuinely afraid for you. I would be extremely anxious about possible bad scenarios and feel responsible for you. You both have legitimate reasons for being upset.
Old 02-21-2013, 07:31 PM   #7  
I can dream, can't I?

Height: 5'5"

Ditto what Elvislover said...She crossed the line by lying to your husband. She was trying to stir something up between you and him.
She would be out of my life so fast her head would spin.
(and I am an old grandma who has seen my share of drama)
Old 02-21-2013, 07:42 PM   #8  

...and rather than using the phone of a stranger you could have considered making your way to the hotel to charge your phone, if not for her, for your family to be able to get in touch with you or you with them. An active cell phone could have saved some of the drama. If she hadn't called to alert your family there would be no problem but what if they needed to get in touch with you for some reason?

The worried mom in me says...keep your phone charged.

Last edited by ImImportant; 02-21-2013 at 07:47 PM.
Old 02-21-2013, 07:48 PM   #9  
Katrina

Quote:
Originally Posted by ImImportant View Post
...and rather than using the phone of a stranger you could have considered making your way to the hotel to charge your phone, if not for her, for your family to be able to get in touch with you. An active cell phone could have saved some of the drama.
I honestly had no idea that she had contacted my family, otherwise I would have went back to the hotel. In my mind, the only thing back at the hotel was a huge fight and I was not in the mood for it, thats why I invited her out several times. I didn't think she would contact my husband to stir up trouble.

As for the going out with strangers bit, I know all to well what can go on. I'm in school to be a police officer so I pretty much learn the extreme ends of bad situations everyday. I like to think it enhances my personal judgement. Naturally, I can completely understand my husbands fear though!

Last edited by Candeka; 02-21-2013 at 07:52 PM.
Old 02-21-2013, 07:55 PM   #10  

See, I would probably be the friend in the room hyperventilating, over thinking and watching the clock. I wouldn't call your husband though.

I would hope that you would forgive me. But we would probably never travel together again because I would drive you crazy!

Last edited by ImImportant; 02-21-2013 at 07:56 PM.
Old 02-21-2013, 07:57 PM   #11  
Katrina

Quote:
Originally Posted by ImImportant View Post
See, I would probably be the friend in the room hyperventilating, over thinking and watching the clock. I wouldn't call your husband though.

I would hope that you would forgive me. But we would probably never travel together again because I would drive you crazy!
Haha! Some people are just never meant to share a hotel room together for a week!
Old 02-21-2013, 08:01 PM   #12  
Thin Girl in Training

S/C/G: 285.5/269.4/180

Height: 5'5"

I think she's a drama Llama!

I think she's the kind of person who candy coats their issues in things that sounds logical. Hence the "well I was worried about you" stuff. Really, she didn't want you to have fun without her, and was being passive aggressive about it.
Old 02-21-2013, 08:07 PM   #13  
Melissa

Height: 5'6.5"

Well... I had a drama queen friend in college.I realized that to keep her as a friend would mean having boundaries.

So, if you strike up some sort of friendship again, if you find you can forgive, just be sure to keep it at arm's length. you can't trust her completely, so behave that way. Doesn't mean that you can't do things every once in awhile, but I also think you need to find a better bosom buddy for times you do need more from a friendship.
Old 02-21-2013, 08:11 PM   #14  

S/C/G: 245/ticker/125

Height: 5'2"

Toooo much drama for me! Sure there are things you could have done differently, but she WAY over-reacted.

Calling security five minutes after you said you'd be home? Who is she, your mom? I can see calling after 30-45 minutes, especially if you're usually prompt, but 5? Really? You could be stuck at a red light for that long!

Even if she was (justifiably or not) miffed at you, ignoring you and being a sourpuss was juvenile.

Leaving you alone in a foreign country- rude.

Tattling on you to your husband and stirring the pot- OH NO!

You don't need people like that in your life. And for HER to want an apology? Pfft. Don't let the door hit ya, chickie!

There are 6 billion people out there you could be friends with- you don't need to put up with that kind of crap. I know I wouldn't!
Old 02-21-2013, 08:28 PM   #15  
Warrior Princess

Omfg NO! Demanding an apology after SHE left you in another country AND called your husband and told him you ditched her for a group of guys!? Yeah, I'd have a few choice words for her alright...

Find a new friend. I can't stand controlling people or drama queens and she's both.
Closed Thread