Exercise! Love it or hate it, let's motivate each other to just DO IT!

Old 02-21-2013, 10:16 AM   #1  
F - Yeah, I'm doing this.

S/C/G: 297/*Ticker*/175

Height: 5'10"

Default Budget Gyms, yay or nay?

A new gym opened in my neighborhood and I have been flooded with flyers advertising the place. It's called Fit for Less by Goodlife. 10 bucks a month membership. As far as gym memberships go that is CHEAP. If you want the fancy package its only 20 bucks (that includes Tanning and some other perks) Obviously for 10-20 bucks a month, its not going to be a state of the art facility or anything like that. I don't think it even has showers (I'm fine with that, I would much prefer to shower at home!) But for 10-20 bucks a month, I am very tempted. Also, its open 24 hours...

I have an elliptical at home, and paid 50 bucks for it (it works...) But I am thinking that I am going to need a little more variety than just the elliptical...

So I am on the fence. I have never gone to a gym before and honestly it terrifies me! But, its just so cheap!

Have any of you tried one of those budget fitness centers, fit for less, fit for 10, or whatever.

Thoughts, advice?
Silverfire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2013, 10:40 AM   #2  
Just watch me ...

See if they have an introduction special. This way you can try it out, with no commitment on your part. Basically, only you can know for yourself whether or not the place will work for you. But I think it's better to give it a try and quit if you don't like it than to not open yourself up to new experiences.
Exhale15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2013, 10:52 AM   #3  
me

S/C/G: 299/135/fit

I'm in similar situation. A planet fitness opened up near me (10 bucks a month) and I'm tempted to try it out. Im just wondering if it's so cheap because like hundreds of people sign up (thus may be it'll be super packed even if it open 24/7)... or may be the machines are used and abused ...
kisskiss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2013, 11:09 AM   #4  

S/C/G: 293/ticker/170

Height: 5'6"

My PF is packed no more than my previous gym that I spent $120/month on. All the machines are new (mine opened a month ago.) You don't get the one on one trainers you could get elsewhere, no pool, no sauna, steamroom, babysitting, classes, that kind of stuff. It is cheap because you are going for the gym...not for the club everyone else sells. For a good basic workout, yeah, go for it. (FWIW, unless you hop from location to location, actually USE the tanning service, AND bring a friend with you to most workouts, the $10/months will suffice.)
zoesmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2013, 11:21 AM   #5  
TX Fat Chick

S/C/G: 258/214/160

Height: 5' 3"

Quote:
Originally Posted by kisskiss View Post
I'm in similar situation. A planet fitness opened up near me (10 bucks a month) and I'm tempted to try it out. Im just wondering if it's so cheap because like hundreds of people sign up (thus may be it'll be super packed even if it open 24/7)... or may be the machines are used and abused ...
I use Planet Fitness and I like it. There is no committment. Stop anytime and only $10/month. Clean place, clean showers. I especially love the 30 minute workout area. 10 machines that you go through at 3 minutes each. Easy to follow and works out the whole body.

I always do a little cardio and then do the circuit.
melissakd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2013, 12:17 PM   #6  

Thanks for the responses everyone! I am not all about the extra's that most clubs offer really, so no loss there. (I wouldn't say no to a sauna/steam room however!!! ) I think I would use the tanning (wedding this summer!)

I might just give it a go. Looks like I need to go shopping for some new workout gear! save money on the membership and spend it on clothes, I am down with that
Old 02-21-2013, 01:24 PM   #7  

S/C/G: 165/137/120

Height: 4'11''

I had PF and I hated it. The facility was never clean, you could never find anybody to help you and you definitely don't get that 1 on 1 personal feeling when you walk in. It always had this weird smell to it too. It was open 24 hours, which I was fine with because my schedule varied so much but in my opinion, it wasn't worth it at all. Plus, since it's so cheap, you get all walks of people in there. I now pay about $35/month for the gym I have now and it is very clean, has a shake/tanning station (for lotions, supplements, etc) and everytime you walk in you get greeted by one of the trainers. I have the tanning which makes it more expensive, but in my mind it's worth spending a little bit more money on a good gym. Only con I will say about mine is that the hours kind of suck. But that's it!
celigirl88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2013, 02:44 PM   #8  
Just watch me ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Silverfire View Post
Thanks for the responses everyone! I am not all about the extra's that most clubs offer really, so no loss there. (I wouldn't say no to a sauna/steam room however!!! ) I think I would use the tanning (wedding this summer!)

I might just give it a go. Looks like I need to go shopping for some new workout gear! save money on the membership and spend it on clothes, I am down with that
Great going Silverfire !
Exhale15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2013, 03:19 PM   #9  
Staying the Same

S/C/G: 160+/116-120/maintainer

Height: 5'5

Not a budget fitness center but I belong to a really beat-up inner city gym with mostly ex-con clientele and find it more than suits my needs. I HATE crowds and the smell of tanning makes me ill, I also find gyms more inspirational if the clientele are fairly serious about working out.

However it's really all about your needs. If you will USE the extras that more $$$ gyms offer or want personal training services/classes, that might be worth the extra. If you just want a place to bang out some time on cardio equipment and lift weights, no-frills is probably fine.
krampus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2013, 12:04 AM   #10  

S/C/G: 166/145/115

Height: 5'4

I pay $10 a month for planet fitness, no contract, and I love it. The place is clean and nice. I only go during odd hours when it's not packed, but it works out well for me. I use the machines, don't really care for the tanning and all the add-ons, however, personal training is free for all members here. Haven't even taken advantage of that. I think each planet fitness is different.. The one 5 minutes away from the one I go to is pretty horrible.

Last edited by Bloopers; 02-23-2013 at 12:04 AM.
Bloopers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2013, 12:15 AM   #11  

Height: 5'8.5"

I think it totally depends on what your needs are! If it has what you personally want/need, go for it! Personally I wanted a pool, so joined a brand new LA Fitness Signature Club for $40 a month (usually $55 but I joined before they opened so got the discount). I could have joined another gym for $20 a month but this one is between work and home, has great private showers (nice for me because my water pressure at home is lousy... I'd pay $40 a month just for the showers!). It also has body wash, shampoo, conditioner and lotion free... provides towels, etc. Things I could get by without but I enjoy not having to haul all that back and forth, plus it does save money using their free stuff.

I enjoy the pampering... but I really NEED the pool. But if you are happy with the amenities of the cheaper place, by all means... I would go for it and give it a try! Just no long term contracts until you decide if you really will use it.
Misti in Seattle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2013, 01:30 AM   #12  
Restart 11/2012 at 153lbs

S/C/G: Hw194/Sw160/Cw120/gw125

Height: 5'2" on the dot!

Sounds like my story, new gym opening 10 a month I have a used elliptical I just bought. But I also bought a bike and bench w/ leg extension and have some kettlebells and dumbells so I was curious if I really need a gym membership. But if you don't have weights maybe u might want to go to the gym. I love lifting now, I am feeling strong. If they don't have a contract I am sure you won't lose more than 20 bucks for first and last months dues.
chubbiegurl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2013, 05:52 AM   #13  
Super Moderator

S/C/G: 239/173/165

Height: 5'9"

I've done seven years at a (roughly) $10 per month gym. Suits me fine: plenty of treadmills and ellipticals, ample weights, sufficient showers and lockers, everything works.

My DD, on the other hand, loved her $65 per month gym because the nice man at the front desk gave her two towels so she could dry her hair. I schedule gym so that I shower at home.

The only thing I really need from a gym is other folks working seriously - as Krampus said. (For a while we had two young men who wore GPS ankle cuffs - added a touch of ambiance, LOL.)
BillBlueEyes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2013, 12:47 AM   #14  
One day at a time

S/C/G: 220/191/186

Another Planet Fitness person here and I must say I LOVE it! They have everything I need, the people are awesome, it is always clean and while once or twice it was busy...at 8 pm, it wasn't so busy that I couldn't get on any equipment. I usually go at 6:30 in the morning and on any given day there are 10-15 people at that time. I love it and for $1 joiner fee and $10 a month I don't think anyone can beat that.
FrouFrou is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2013, 01:09 PM   #15  

Update:

I Joined Fit for Less (by good life) here in Saskatoon two weeks ago and I think it is pretty great. There was a little bit of a headache with the key fob the first day not working right (got up at 4:30 am for nothing!!!) There are plenty of machines and I have only ever had to wait for a machine once for a few minutes. I like the weight machines as there are pretty simple to adjust and use and have instructions on them. The facility itself is prettly clean and the staff are pleasant. Not really helpful for much other than getting you signed up, selling you water or setting your tanning minutes for you, but I guess that's what allows the place to be so cheap. I have got the 20 bucks a month membership and that came with a free gym bag, and t-shirt and unlimited tanning. The tanning beds are pretty decent. One lay down, one upright. The longest I have had to wait to tan is 10 minutes, not as bad as I was anticipating. Perhaps I just have good timing though. I go in the morning at 5 am, and there is maybe one to 4 other people there at that time, and I go again after work at 3:30, and it is still fairly quiet then. It starts to really full up around 5-6. But even still, there are plenty of free machines during that time.

Verdict -
Totally worth 20 bucks a month. You would be hard pressed to find unlimited tanning in this city for that price. If you are in Saskatoon or somewhere else that has a Fit for Less, I recommend checking it out. They have an open house once a month where they give you pizza and let you work out for the day.