Old 02-21-2013, 09:56 AM   #1  
Living Intuitively

S/C/G: Heavy/Happy/Free

Height: 5'6"

Default How do I turn my frown upside down?

Seriously- (I know, I know, I feel like this has been a trend in these parts lately...but)....I woke up in SUCH a foul mood!! We got a foot of snow last night and it took me 2 hours to get home from work last night at 8 PM. It usually only takes me 20 minutes. Nearly ever road I tried to take was closed by the police. And my boss KNEW how bad the roads were when he drove them at 6 PM and didn't tell me anything.

I slept TERRIBLY last night. So I was hopeful for my VERY first snow day...but nope...a delay. Well- I work a late night today anyways, which I did last night. It was my schedule that put me in the position to be stuck in traffic and risk accidents last night. And tonight, because I work late again- It's business as usual for me. Whereas my lazy counterpart gets paid for 2 hours this morning and gets a short shift!! Me? 11 AM-8 PM. And I told my boss that I feel screwed. (No response yet). My shift screwed me last night. My shift screws me today. :: sigh ::

I am so tired and so mad- that I'm nearly in tears. What can I do? I need to go into work, but I SERIOUSLY DO NOT want to be interacting or near ANYONE else, but 3FC and maybe DH.

What am I to do?! I'm feeling SOOOOOO mad and miserable!!! Thank GOD tomorrow is my birthday and I have the day off.
lunarsongbird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2013, 09:58 AM   #2  
Living Intuitively

I'm going to take some Dopa (http://www.amazon.com/Foods-Mucuna-S.../dp/B001QG5F0W), clean out the fridge, make a relatively decadent breakfast (aged french brie, fig sauce, local fresh baguette, apple, and bacon) and then take a bath. Maybe that will help.
Old 02-21-2013, 09:59 AM   #3  
Living Intuitively

Also- maybe these cranky pictures help:

This one is a special one for my boss:

Do you know what he said, "Go shove your driveway and go into a better mood."

Last edited by lunarsongbird; 02-21-2013 at 10:04 AM.
Old 02-21-2013, 10:18 AM   #4  
Living Intuitively

Switching gears- this picture makes me smile:
Old 02-21-2013, 10:22 AM   #5  

S/C/G: 265/180/145

I have a very non-understanding boss too. Was out a week with pneumonia, had a Dr.'s note, and I still got fussed at for not showing up. I suppose coming up here and spreading the plague was more preferable....

At least tomorrow is your b-day! Sounds like you have awesome plans. I'd focus on that to make my frown go up!

Hope things go well with traffic and take care. If it was me and it was really bad, I'd just call off. But I also understand that isn't always possible. STAY SAFE
FickleHearts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2013, 10:33 AM   #6  
Starting Again

S/C/G: 280/272/160

Height: 5'8"

Awww, hugs! I wish I had some words of wisdom, but sometimes we just need a blahhhhhh day. It makes it that much sweeter when things are going better. Happy early birthday!
Iheartsushi418 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2013, 10:37 AM   #7  

Your boss isn't responsible for the weather. You are being irrational.
QuilterInVA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2013, 10:40 AM   #8  
I can do this

S/C/G: 230/222/175

Height: 5'2"

When I'm in a lousy mood I start listing good things that I know (as in "What do I know today?")

They can be personal: I get a paycheck, my jeans are too big in the waist now, DH brought me flowers for Valentine's Day. My knee is improving. I like our new couch. It's getting easier to get up off the floor.

They can be about other people: DD the younger got a great scholarship. DS is having a great semester and called last night. DD the older is planning her wedding and getting excited. BFF is doing well. 3FC friend had a great day yesterday.

They can be political, since I'm a pretty political animal and close follower of things. <State> legislature passed/rejected <insert here>.

I know that's sort of Pollyanna-ish, but I'm often accused of that. There's always so much good going on around me and I find reminding myself of it a powerful way to get out of a funk or put things in perspective.
bethFromDayton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2013, 10:42 AM   #9  
Living Intuitively

Quote:
Originally Posted by QuilterInVA View Post
Your boss isn't responsible for the weather. You are being irrational.
True. But he does have the ability to adjust my schedule to 9-6, as I wont be getting much done from 6 PM-8 PM anyways. Students will be calling out today.
Old 02-21-2013, 10:44 AM   #10  
Living Intuitively

beth, I LOVE your "What I know today" game...I think I might actually write some of these things in a journal. That's a VERY good idea! A wonderful game to teach children too!

It makes me feel better by just thinking about it.

What I know today: I have some really great new friends on 3FC that are sweet and very supportive. My life is a little more beautiful and brighter because of them.
Old 02-21-2013, 10:47 AM   #11  
Dukanista

S/C/G: high263/current257/ticker/198

Height: 5'7"

What would your boss have done if you left early last night?

I find that I have a tendency to want to get permission, or even be told to leave early, but I work for bosses that expect me to make my own decisions and if I feel I need to leave, then I leave and I don't get into trouble over it. I am not saying this as a criticism, I'm just asking about the dynamics of how things work at your job.

And there are all sorts of variables - if you are paid hourly, if you have clients or customers who need to be served, etc. I work in an office job with a salary, and while I need to get my work finished, the hours that I work are less of an issue and I don't need to make up hours missed if I am late due to a snow day or doctor's appt, as long as the work gets done. On the other hand, if I have to stay late because something has to get finished, I don't get extra for that either. But it all balances out.

In any case, I hope that a relaxing bath and a delicious breakfast make things look better today!
April Snow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2013, 10:59 AM   #12  
career counselor a-gogo

S/C/G: HW:~330 325/ticker/145

Height: 5'7

While the weather may not be the fault of the boss, havig an understanding boss who cares for his/her employees is wonderful and having one that doesn't is frustrating.

Also it certainly would feel injust to not get the same benefit as day shift when the roads are going to be possibly worse at night (on the way home).

Hang in there and play that "What do i know" game.
rodeogirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2013, 11:03 AM   #13  
Living Intuitively

I'm hourly and my boss micromanages to the 10th degree...mostly because HE he is micromanaged, which makes me sad for him. He can't leave early- even though he's a salaried manager. I just think that's awful. He has to report every time he leaves early.

I did tell him that the next time this happens, I will be leaving early. Thank goodness I have a subaru! It handled like a dream!

ETA: THANKS, Rodeogirl! I'm so glad to know that I'm not totally being crazy for feeling like there is unjust treatment. I do really like the "What do I know" game...and these laughing babies: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Pxsj0gV1eZc

Last edited by lunarsongbird; 02-21-2013 at 11:04 AM.
Old 02-21-2013, 11:24 AM   #14  
Living Intuitively

Doesn't this look like a quaint but decadent breakfast?

I geeked out with the Cheese Man at a local grocery store and he pointed me to this wonderful brie:
"Le Châtelain Brie was just awarded one of the highest honors that can be bestowed upon a cheese: a Gold Medal from France’s biggest food competition, the Concours General Agricole held at the Salon International de l’Agriculture in Paris. Chosen from among 17,000 French food products and judged via uncompromising standards of quality and taste, the Gold Medal is a major achievement for any fromager. However, this award is especially remarkable for Brie Le Châtelain because it was crafted especially for the U.S. market, using pasteurized milk."

It's really fabulous. One of the most flavorful bries I've EVER had!

This cheese uses pasteurized cow’s milk from cows grazing in the Vosges region.

I paired the cheese with a Dalmatia Fig Spread.
"Dalmatia fig spreads are hand-picked and sun-dried on old wooden pallets by local Dalmatian farming families. Dried to a rich golden color, the figs are made into spreads using only the finest ingredients. The oranges for the Fig Spread with Orange come from the island of Korcula, a remote island on the Adriatic Coast. The end result is a prize-winning, all-natural product with superior fruit count."

Dalmatia:

I feel that the more you get to know your food- the more you enjoy it and appreciate it.

What a lovely and educational breakfast!!

Last edited by lunarsongbird; 02-21-2013 at 11:34 AM.
Old 02-21-2013, 11:51 AM   #15  

**Hugs** Lunarsongbird, sorry you woke up in a bad mood. This seems to be the week for them!

Your breakfast looks delicious, I wish I was sharing it with you!

After some really bad commutes, I decided I'd never risk my life again in bad snowstorms/ice storms and I don't. I use personal time if the company doesn't allow everyone to leave early and that's that. Granted my commute used to be over 40 miles each way on the interstate so that 40 miles could turn into 4 hours. There is no job worth that to me anymore. That might sound dramatic to some, I don't care. If you never experienced hellish commutes, then you have no idea about the stress. (Kinda like when forever skinny people tell us to eat fruit and vegetables and we can lose weight fast. Buzz off!)

I'm sorry you have a stressful day ahead. Too bad the school didn't close for the day, would you be off then?

Go into work and log back on here to be with us, we can try to cheer you up. And keep looking forward to your fun and exciting day tomorrow!

*hugs*
elvislover324 is offline   Reply With Quote