Old 02-20-2013, 05:05 PM   #1  
Living Intuitively

S/C/G: Heavy/Happy/Free

Height: 5'6"

Default Live Like No One Else, So That Later, You Can Live Like No One Else

Dave Ramsey says this quite a lot about financial freedom. However- I think the same rings true for health and wellness freedom.

According to the CDC, two-thirds of Americans are overweight or obese. The average lifespan is 78.1 years old. A third of Americans have hypertension. An estimated 26.2 percent of Americans ages 18 and older — about one in four adults — suffer from a diagnosable mental disorder in a given year. Over a third of adults are on prescription medications. The average american also spends $8,233 per year.

In almost the same breath, the CDC reports that fewer than two in 10 Americans get the recommended levels of exercise (only 150 minutes!!), and more than a quarter of U.S. adults do not devote any time to physical activity. In addition, on average- 4,500 calories are consumed per person on Thanksgiving Day alone.

According to Harvard, the average American gets a total of just three servings of fruits and vegetables a day. The latest dietary guidelines call for five to thirteen servings of fruits and vegetables a day (2½ to 6½ cups per day), depending on one’s caloric intake.

I thought these figures were particularly thought provoking.

I don't want to be average.

I want to "live like no one else, so that later- I can live like no one else."
I want to exercise and eat different then the Average American, so that next year (and the years following) I can live free from being overweight and avoid the other ailments that plague Americans.

Have you ever thought about it like this?
lunarsongbird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2013, 06:34 PM   #2  
Downloading 10% complete

S/C/G: 190/188/170

Height: 5'4"

I think so?

My take on it being that it was only once I took an inventory of where I was, and what I like and dislike, who and what I am, what I want and what I don't want... That made things run MUCH more smoothly in life. I can focus my attention better on who and what I love, rather than running round in circles trying to please people who couldn't care less, and trying to fit into some arbitrary ideal that kept changing any time I got even close.

I don't know if this is what you were getting at, but only through commitment and focus on what's important to me have I ever got anywhere close to building a healthy and happy future for myself and the people I care about.

Hope that made sense, heh

Last edited by the shiv; 02-20-2013 at 06:35 PM.
the shiv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2013, 10:52 PM   #3  
I'm bringing sexy back!

S/C/G: 242/234.5/167

Height: 5'5"

I like that quote!
Mozzy is offline   Reply With Quote