Old 02-14-2013, 07:40 AM   #1  

Default Phase 1 Total Carbs per day question

So my brother and I have been on the diet for about 3 or so weeks now. We kicked butt during our initial WI's but now seem to be stalled out, 1lb over 6 days. This brought us to some research of what we have been eating.

Our daily intake of total carbs, IP foods and Vegetables combined, have been between 40-55 carbs per day.

This is on 3 packets a day and 4 cups of vegetables. This begs the question if this carb count is too high, have we been measuring our 4 cups of Vegetables a day wrong? We have actually been using a nutritional data website that gives the exact weight, in Grams, per vegetable and been going by that on a kitchen scale. Should we just be filling up a cup and using that instead if we are wrong here? Any info appreciated. We missed a week with the coach due to a blizzard and wish to get back on track here.
Dolemite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2013, 08:23 AM   #2  
~John Wayne~ On:6/21/2012

Height: 5'4"

I think you are thinking too much. This program is pretty simple, follow what is on the program for the phase you are on and it will work. I've seen people get all wrapped in 'how many grams of this and that' and they just get all worked up. I'm sure the stress of that doesn't help.

I've been in these forums since June of 2012 and the common theme is that around week three your body realizes what exactly is going on and tries to hold on to everything it can, causing a stall in weight loss. But, how are your inches, have they gone down?

No worries, most everyone has a stall around week 3. Just relax and enjoy the program and the great progress I'm sure you two are making.

J
jwdesselle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2013, 08:32 AM   #3  
IP Start 01/25/13

S/C/G: 223/182/170

Height: 5'10"

Quote:
Originally Posted by jwdesselle View Post
No worries, most everyone has a stall around week 3. Just relax and enjoy the program and the great progress I'm sure you two are making.
Thanks J! I'm kind of in the same boat. Big loss wk1, not much wk 2, and I have my wk 3 WI tomorrow and, according to my scale, lost about the same as wk 2. The thing is, I'm STILL losing. Yeh I'd rather see less on the scale but it'll get there.

I've decided to start some mini-goals:

1) lose more each week than my wife (she beat me last week but I'm still ahead in total)
2) get under 200 for the 1st time in 10 years
3) get under 190 for the 1st time in 15 years

and then we'll see where it goes from there.

Mark
M35A2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2013, 08:45 AM   #4  
Reboot 9/2014

S/C/G: 198.6/173/165

Height: 5' 8"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dolemite View Post
So my brother and I have been on the diet for about 3 or so weeks now. We kicked butt during our initial WI's but now seem to be stalled out, 1lb over 6 days. This brought us to some research of what we have been eating.

Our daily intake of total carbs, IP foods and Vegetables combined, have been between 40-55 carbs per day.

This is on 3 packets a day and 4 cups of vegetables. This begs the question if this carb count is too high, have we been measuring our 4 cups of Vegetables a day wrong? We have actually been using a nutritional data website that gives the exact weight, in Grams, per vegetable and been going by that on a kitchen scale. Should we just be filling up a cup and using that instead if we are wrong here? Any info appreciated. We missed a week with the coach due to a blizzard and wish to get back on track here.
For one, one week of low losses is NOT a stall. A stall is when you do not lose any pounds or inches for several WEEKS in a row. Too many things can cause the scale to fluctuate for you to think day-to-day or to worry about the scale numbers after one week. If you posted big losses in your first weeks, you will probably see a lower number the next week - your body has to normalize after it has dropped a bunch of weight suddenly. If you look at my numbers you will see that I cycled with 2 weeks of good losses, 1 week of very small losses more than once in my journey.

Second, you don't need to carb count on this diet. Every food chosen between the packets, veggies, and approved proteins was done so to give you the right range of carbs AND calories to make the diet work. If you are following your sheet you are all set. You should be measuring your veggies raw in a measuring cup and your meats raw on the scale. The veggie portions are set up more to teach you good portioning habits than anything else.

I would agree with jwdesselle - you are overthinking this a bit
scorbett1103 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2013, 09:38 AM   #5  

Quote:
Originally Posted by scorbett1103 View Post
For one, one week of low losses is NOT a stall. A stall is when you do not lose any pounds or inches for several WEEKS in a row. Too many things can cause the scale to fluctuate for you to think day-to-day or to worry about the scale numbers after one week. If you posted big losses in your first weeks, you will probably see a lower number the next week - your body has to normalize after it has dropped a bunch of weight suddenly. If you look at my numbers you will see that I cycled with 2 weeks of good losses, 1 week of very small losses more than once in my journey.

Second, you don't need to carb count on this diet. Every food chosen between the packets, veggies, and approved proteins was done so to give you the right range of carbs AND calories to make the diet work. If you are following your sheet you are all set. You should be measuring your veggies raw in a measuring cup and your meats raw on the scale. The veggie portions are set up more to teach you good portioning habits than anything else.

So the measuring cup should be the way to go for the vegetables, not the scale. I didn't see that on my sheet. I bet we have been overdoing the vegetables by doing it with weight. I am sure we are over thinking, but that question was what stood out. I am a bit farther on, working on 2 weeks straight of just a 1lb loss. But it could be an inaccurate scale coupled with the workout of snow removal for 2 days straight in the middle. Thanks for the input!
Dolemite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2013, 10:37 AM   #6  

Quote:
Originally Posted by jwdesselle View Post
I think you are thinking too much.
We're Engineers ... that's what we do over think things..... must understand completely what is going on.

No seriously thanks for the input, makes sense.
mystic860 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2013, 12:41 PM   #7  

S/C/G: 232.2/ticker/132

Height: 5"4"

Quote:

Scorbett - Thanks! My center told me that when I weigh my veggies and protein that is it cooked - oh no! So for spinach, I can have almost a whole bad once cooked. Also, I make a an eggplant/tomatoe chuncky sauce 1x/week and I measure our two cups of cooked......Week one I lost 6 poinds, week two weigh in is tomorrow.

Thanks for any advice here.
Fabulousatfifty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2013, 12:42 PM   #8  

S/C/G: 232.2/ticker/132

Height: 5"4"

Quote:
Originally Posted by mystic860 View Post
We're Engineers ... that's what we do over think things..... must understand completely what is going on.

HAHA - that is funny and I totally get it being married to an engineer!
Fabulousatfifty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2013, 01:16 PM   #9  
Started IP 1/14/2012

S/C/G: 286/165/169

Height: 5'9"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fabulousatfifty View Post
Scorbett - Thanks! My center told me that when I weigh my veggies and protein that is it cooked - oh no! So for spinach, I can have almost a whole bad once cooked. Also, I make a an eggplant/tomatoe chuncky sauce 1x/week and I measure our two cups of cooked......Week one I lost 6 poinds, week two weigh in is tomorrow.

Spinach is a good example of why you need to consistently measure before cooking because it drastically shrinks. A whole bag of spinach for one meal definitely seems in excess when you stop to think about it.

My coach has always said measure before cooking. When making purees or large batches, know how many portions your food is going into it so you can break them down into the right portions after cooking. For example I make a veggie lasagna with zucchini noodles that is meant to last me two meals. In it I have a red pepper puree as the sauce. I know how much I have put into each step at raw volume so for the end dish, I can confidentally split it in two and know I'm getting 2 cups of veg.
KitKat169 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2013, 03:04 PM   #10  
Started IP 1/10/13

S/C/G: 220/see ticker/135

Height: 5'3"

Quote:
Originally Posted by mystic860 View Post

Yeah, I have to *really* understand every single thing too. Over the years, my faith in things that I have to pay for has really dwindled. But there is some really good research available out there about PSMFs (Protein Sparing Modified Fasts) like Ideal Protein that should help answer any questions you may have.

This program will work if followed exactly as written, but there is a scientific basis for it. By following the sheet exactly, your carbs, fats, and proteins will be appropriately apportioned to maximize weight loss while maintaining metabolism. The sheet is basically a cheat sheet for a whole lotta science.

And don't get too worried about exactly what "exactly" means in terms of following the sheet. "How hard should I squeeze spinach into that cup?" It doesn't really matter and averages out. When you're measuring volume of vegetables, you're not going to err more than about 20 calories either way.

Good luck!
Ojenchilada is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2013, 03:16 PM   #11  
Started IP 3/26/12

Height: 5'5"

I've read in a few official IP documents (as well as on those IdealCoachingTV videos that some people get) that our net carb count/day should be within the 25-40g/day range. Dieters who are particularly carb sensitive may find they need to stay closer to the low end of that range in order to lose. And it is net carbs - so you can subtract the fibre from the total carbs/day. IP also says somewhere (sorry, can no longer remember where - I've done a lot of reading over the past months) that as a guideline we can subtract 1/2 of the sugar alcohol gms in any food item from the overall carbs of that item.

Last edited by evepet; 02-14-2013 at 03:19 PM.
evepet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2013, 04:26 PM   #12  
Reboot 9/2014

S/C/G: 198.6/173/165

Height: 5' 8"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dolemite View Post
So the measuring cup should be the way to go for the vegetables, not the scale. I didn't see that on my sheet. I bet we have been overdoing the vegetables by doing it with weight. I am sure we are over thinking, but that question was what stood out. I am a bit farther on, working on 2 weeks straight of just a 1lb loss. But it could be an inaccurate scale coupled with the workout of snow removal for 2 days straight in the middle. Thanks for the input!
Oh yes - any physical activity (especially if you did NOT add an extra packet when you were done shoveling) can cause a stall! Your muscles retain water when they get worked out so if you were sore, you're probably retaining water.

I'm in Southeastern MA and after frantically shoveling out my car from the 3 foot snowbank at 1 AM because of the next day's freezing rain forecast, my scale was not kind to me

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fabulousatfifty View Post

Raw measurements are how the diet was set up - spinach is one very clear illustration of why that is. If you eat a cup of cooked spinach versus measuring before cooking, you're going to be consuming a lot more veggies than you should. Yeah, the calories are negligible - BUT especially in the case of spinach, the issue is more with the acid reaction spinach causes in the guts. Ideal Protein is set up to be an alkali diet - that's why it's so anti inflammatory. Too much food that creates acid reactions in the guts can flare up inflammation...which causes water weight....which makes the scale misbehave.

Quote:
Originally Posted by evepet View Post
I've read in a few official IP documents (as well as on those IdealCoachingTV videos that some people get) that our net carb count/day should be within the 25-40g/day range. Dieters who are particularly carb sensitive may find they need to stay closer to the low end of that range in order to lose. And it is net carbs - so you can subtract the fibre from the total carbs/day. IP also says somewhere (sorry, can no longer remember where - I've done a lot of reading over the past months) that as a guideline we can subtract 1/2 of the sugar alcohol gms in any food item from the overall carbs of that item.
That is the APPROXIMATE range of net carbs (total carbs minus dietary fiber). I have gone over at times, for MOST people a little deviation isn't going to make a difference. There are many who are very carb sensitive and need to stay at the low end or they get bloated.

Regarding the sugar alcohols, they still generate SOME kind of glycemic response - so while they may not register as carbs from a dietary standpoint, they still can make your body react as though it were receiving sugar carbs - just not necessarily at the same level. Plus sugar alcohols are well known to do nasty things to the GI tract. For these reasons, I do NOT subtract sugar alcohols - too many negatives to justify allowing them to make a food packet unrestricted for me.
scorbett1103 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2013, 04:52 PM   #13  
Started IP 3/26/12

Height: 5'5"

Quote:
Oh yes - any physical activity (especially if you did NOT add an extra packet when you were done shoveling) can cause a stall! Your muscles retain water when they get worked out so if you were sore, you're probably retaining water.

I'm in Southeastern MA and after frantically shoveling out my car from the 3 foot snowbank at 1 AM because of the next day's freezing rain forecast, my scale was not kind to me

Raw measurements are how the diet was set up - spinach is one very clear illustration of why that is. If you eat a cup of cooked spinach versus measuring before cooking, you're going to be consuming a lot more veggies than you should. Yeah, the calories are negligible - BUT especially in the case of spinach, the issue is more with the acid reaction spinach causes in the guts. Ideal Protein is set up to be an alkali diet - that's why it's so anti inflammatory. Too much food that creates acid reactions in the guts can flare up inflammation...which causes water weight....which makes the scale misbehave.

Interesting - I had no idea that spinach would have that side effect. Thanks for the info!

That is the APPROXIMATE range of net carbs (total carbs minus dietary fiber). I have gone over at times, for MOST people a little deviation isn't going to make a difference. There are many who are very carb sensitive and need to stay at the low end or they get bloated.

Regarding the sugar alcohols, they still generate SOME kind of glycemic response - so while they may not register as carbs from a dietary standpoint, they still can make your body react as though it were receiving sugar carbs - just not necessarily at the same level. Plus sugar alcohols are well known to do nasty things to the GI tract. For these reasons, I do NOT subtract sugar alcohols - too many negatives to justify allowing them to make a food packet unrestricted for me.
Thx Scorbett, I was just reporting on what I'd read as being the 'official' IP philosophy about it. Although, it may well have been something I read on one of the individual clinic's websites - and we all know how much the 'guidelines' can vary from clinic to clinic! I've learned the hard way over the past months that most sugar alcohols don't agree well with my digestive tract either. Especially maltitol & maltitol syrup. In fact I've ended up very rarely eating anything that contains them, apart from an occasional protein bar as a sweet treat. Oh, and chewing gum from time to time. The sugar alcohol I prefer is erthyitol, which according to what I've researched is one of the few that (at least for most people) doesn't impact on the blood sugar levels at all. There's a good article about sugar alcohols here http://lowcarbdiets.about.com/od/wha...aralcohols.htm

Last edited by evepet; 02-14-2013 at 06:26 PM.
evepet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2013, 06:55 PM   #14  
Started IP 12-26-2012

Height: 5'7"

It's true, you don't have to "think" on this diet.

I'm insulin resistant, and DO count my every carb because of diabetes.

Yes, I stay under 40 net a day.

No, I don't eat restricted IP foods, but I eat an extra serving of higher carb veggies to keep my energy up...which in the end it all evens out to the same amount of net carbs a day.

If you are not insulin resistant, follow the diet exactly and it'll work.
leannekarella is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2017, 02:19 PM   #15  

I'm not sure how to stay under 40 net and still get in enough veggies. I'm eating mostly select veggies... maybe I should switch to unlimited? Or is the "net" part important?
kintsugi is offline   Reply With Quote